Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
rnr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Due to the need to take care of my wife's ill parents, we're relocating to north (closer to Lexington) of Roanoke. I've done a fair amount of research, but thought I'd ask locals who know; you guys.

1. Would shooting in the Nat Forest be ok, or are there too many people where it'd cause problems? How 'bout ranges. I want to play long distance too. Up to 500yds.

2. Gun/sporting goods stores

3. Hunting looks good, I'm excited about that.

4. Meet & greet later in the Spring? Had a nice campout w/ the CO/WYO/Ut guys earlier this year.

We're packing now and should be there mid Feb. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys.

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Sherlock Holmes
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lived in central VA for a few years, so I'm no expert, but I'll get the conversation started.

I doubt you can target shoot on NF land the way you can out west. There are some public, free, established ranges on NF land, but they probably only go to 100y.

Green Top isn't close but it's worth a visit. http://www.greentophuntfish.com/

Buy a canoe, float fishing the James...

Feel free to PM me some time.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
rnr;

That area is home. Send me a PM, and we'll talk.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
rnr,

1. Target shooting in the national forest is generally illegal in most cases. There are some 100 yard ranges operated by the forest service, one is located 30 minutes west of Lexington at Low Moor. Roanoke Rifle and Revolver Club has 300 yard range and they are located just east of Roanoke, it is a members only but is not hard to join.

2. Best gun shop near Lexington will be Dominion Outdoors located in Fishersville, approximately 30 minutes north of Lexington. Green Top is located north of Richmond, but that area does not allow centerfire rifles for deer hunting so I have found they stock "Black Rifles", handguns, and shotguns but little else.

3. Great hunting in that part of Virginia. Approximately 1.7 million acres in Jefferson and George Washington National Forest.

4. As already stated the James River has great smallmouth fishing and there are also fine trout steams in the area.

PM me when you get to the area and I can give you more specific information if needed.

Welcome to Virginia

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rnr
Due to the need to take care of my wife's ill parents, we're relocating to north (closer to Lexington) of Roanoke. I've done a fair amount of research, but thought I'd ask locals who know; you guys.

1. Would shooting in the Nat Forest be ok, or are there too many people where it'd cause problems? How 'bout ranges. I want to play long distance too. Up to 500yds.

2. Gun/sporting goods stores

3. Hunting looks good, I'm excited about that.

4. Meet & greet later in the Spring? Had a nice campout w/ the CO/WYO/Ut guys earlier this year.

We're packing now and should be there mid Feb. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys.

Dangit we are going to miss you this summer.

Gentlemen rnr and his missus are great people!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

rnr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yeah, I was looking forward to gettin' w/ everyone again. But duty to family takes precedence.

Excited about getting know a new area, tho.

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Sherlock Holmes
rnr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks everyone. Lots of good info. I'll PM after we get settled in.

Weird that you can hunt in the NF, but not target shoot. confused Oh well I'll find something.

Sherlock Holmes
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's a Gander Mtn on I-81 right on the north side of Roanoke. SW of Roanoke into Floyd, Patrick, Henry & Carroll counties (I'm in Carroll) has superb hunting. There are two TOP NOTCH gun shops out I-81 in Christiansburg. Whitetail Outfitters on Rt 8 & Miller's in C'burg are two of the best I've ever been around. Tommy Miller is a great guy & runs a very nice place. Darrell over at Whitetail makes you feel like you just came home every time you go in the door. There is at least one gun/shooting club in Roanoke, maybe another in Blacksburg &/or Christiansburg. Good folks around this area so making new friends with a farm or two to do some shooting on will be no problem. Whenever you get moved in PM me & I'd be glad to meet up & show you around that area.

beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur Matthew 5:9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rnr
Yeah, I was looking forward to gettin' w/ everyone again. But duty to family takes precedence.

Excited about getting know a new area, tho.

Their gain..you 2 will be missed, but family does take precedence.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
By far VAnimrod is your best source of info.

I can help here as well. Drop me a PM.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is my home , too.

I run the local Highpowermatches, and am installed
on the BOD of the local shooting club.

You can hunt on our 355 acres, too.

Google...

Roanoke Rifle and Revolver.

Best,

Michael

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Don't know if you'll be in the outskirts of Lexington,such as Glasgow or the like,but Roanoke is still a good hour drive,(55 miles) from Lexington.

I'd love to own land in Lexington if I didn't have a connection and fondness for the Nelson County area.

Lexington is simply a beautiful area steeped in history and tradition.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been up and down 81 a few times when I moved from NY to GA...VA is really nice down that way.

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm from a little West of there, grew up on Claytor Lake in Dublin. Lots of National Forest and great fishing on the New River. Lots of deer and other game, sure helps that I grew up there and know some farmers for access.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what are the gun laws like specific to handguns and carrying?

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Adkstalker
I've been up and down 81 a few times when I moved from NY to GA...VA is really nice down that way.

Two totally different worlds of VA. I-81 side -vs- I-95 side. To me I-81 wins over I-95.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Open carry state.
Concealed carry by permit.
See link for info :

VSP - Weapons & Concealed Carry

Last edited by skullmonkey; 01/15/12.

beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur Matthew 5:9
rnr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by skullmonkey

Open carry state.
Concealed carry by permit.
See link for info :

VSP - Weapons & Concealed Carry

And from what I've read, Shall Issue. If you don't get your permit (barring a disqualification) your application is your defacto permit with in 45 days. That's pretty cool!!

Sherlock Holmes
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hunter1960

Two totally different worlds of VA. I-81 side -vs- I-95 side. To me I-81 wins over I-95.

HA! There's about 6 different worlds to VA.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

rnr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by isaac
Don't know if you'll be in the outskirts of Lexington,such as Glasgow or the like,but Roanoke is still a good hour drive,(55 miles) from Lexington.
Lexington is simply a beautiful area steeped in history and tradition.

LOL. Driving is not a big deal to me. Not to be a smart azz, but an hour barely gets me out of Denver!! smirk Distances are different out here.
But I'm really looking forward to exploring.

Sherlock Holmes
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, AdventureBound, Akhutr, 12 invisible), 1,632 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,456
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.