Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
I just got a stainless Mark II pistol last night, in a target version.

The rear sight is in a dovetail, with one screw.

What's the best way to scope this thing?

I found one from Volquartsen at Brownells, but it has three mounting holes in it, and described as "Aluminum, hardcoat anodized, matte black or matte silver. Mounting screws included. Fits factory pre-drilled receivers on Ruger Mark II and III pistols."

Do I really need to have it drilled and tapped??

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B-Square makes one, uses the sight hole and a clamp arrangement if memory serves.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ruger has a good base and weigand has a good one. They need drilled and tapped. New marks are already drilled.
Stay away from clamp bases.
A Ruger can shoot. This is ten shots at 25 yards but the last shot was ME, I got screwed up seeing one hole and blew the last.
OOPS, wrong picture.

Last edited by bfrshooter; 01/15/12.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Try this picture.[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What a coincidence, I just bought one of those yesterday and it sounds exactly like yours... I'd also stay away from the clamp style and just have it professionally drilled and tapped. Hey they shoot pretty good with factory irons too. This is a 10 shot group (at 25 yards) with the el-cheapo value pack federal champion hp bullets:

[Linked Image]
Enjoy yours, they are great shooting little pistols.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
...just have it professionally drilled and tapped.

Oh well; looks like a D&T job is in my future if I decide to proceed. blush

I have a standard Mark II already, so I can have the open sight fun with that one. Figured I might want to scope this one up. May or may not happen, we'll see... crazy

I went with a volquartsen picatinny top rail and a Vortex Strikeforce M4 clone with ARD killflash on mine.

Here are a few pix...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The mount was about $30 online.

I am Infantry- Follow me!
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm pretty sure the J-Point mount for their red dot doesn't require D&T. A J-Point set-up would run about $300 for the sight and $40 for the mount.

JPA-RP/22

[Linked Image]

Not a Mk II, but shown for scale:

[Linked Image]

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Weigand makes a really nice no-gunsmithing mount for the Mark II. I have used both it and the B-square and the Weigand is light-years better: lighter, smaller, lower and more secure. You remove the rear sight, set a dovetail filler into the dovetail, then screw the mount to the dovetail filler. Very secure setup and gives you enough rail to mount a conventional scope, red dot, or reflex sight. Not too expensive either.

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Oregon45
...the Weigand is light-years better: lighter, smaller, lower and more secure.

Most of the reviews mention the height and bulk of the B-Square. I guess it has some tunnel, for a see-through set up, to still use the open sights? No thanks. If I do scope it, I want it low and compact, and will use it as a dedicated scoped pistol.

Thanks for the info guys; still trying to decide now if I want to do this. crazy

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Weigand makes a really nice no-gunsmithing mount for the Mark II.

Agreed. That's the mount I have on mine.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a Mark II with a B-Square mount and it seems to be doing fine (thats the way I got it) but If I were to do it over I am sure I would go a diffrent route I am sure the Weigand would be a concideration

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG

Not a Mk II, but shown for scale:

[Linked Image]

I'm pretty sure the J-Point mount for their red dot doesn't require D&T. A J-Point set-up would run about $300 for the sight and $40 for the mount.

JPA-RP/22

[Linked Image]

This is what I'd recommend unless you want a traditional type scope, though I'd probably go with the Burris Fastfire II and mount for about $100 less.

I bought a KMKII512 (5 1/2" bull barrel, stainless)new in 1980. The shop I bought it from had a connection to a gunsmith who would remove the rear sight from MKII's and mill a 3/8" dovetail into the receiver that would accept .22 rimfire rings. I mounted a Tasco Pro-Point 2 in Tasco 30mm rings. It's a fun little shooter set up like this, but I've been thinking about going the route that JOG pointed out in his post. It would be a lot lighter and would open up more holster options.

My wife liked shooting my MKII so much that I picked up another one that had been drilled and tapped and a Weaver base installed. I mounted a Simmons red-dot on this gun and signed it over to my wife.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recommend the Fastfire sight also. I have that mounted on my MKIII and it is my "most requested" gun when we do group trips to the range.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Finally got around to getting a picture of my MKII topped with a red dot sight. This gun and sight combo is about 22 years old now and I'm starting to realize just how dated it looks with that big, bulky Pro Point II on top.

You can barely make out the dovetails cut into the top of the receiver. The work was well done and the mounting has never failed me.

[Linked Image]

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kciH
B-Square makes one, uses the sight hole and a clamp arrangement if memory serves.

I've got that one on my Mark II, works great. Also put a Harris bipod on the front with the clamp adaptor. Back when I shot it a bunch, a pop can wasn't safe at the 100 yard mark. Scary accurate little pistols.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Seems to be a lot of coincidence going on here!! I wanted one for years, and finially bought Mark II 22/45 SS and wanted to scope it. So, thanks for starting the topic, and thanks to all for the recomendations.

memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 83 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,721
Posts18,494,661
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.