Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I believe you.

lol!

And I'm sure I'd feel the same in that case.

Something clever here.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JJHACK
You have a locker in the front? you mean Limited slip? or is it an ARB?

An actual locker in the front of a pickup in winter is a death wish on a paved road!

Laffin'.

When I bought my jeep "they" told me the short wheelbase would kill me on the packed snow and ice on the twisty paved mountain roads around here. I'm still alive.

When I lifted it, "they" told me the high center of gravity would kill me on the packed snow and ice on the twisty paved mountain roads around here. I'm still alive.

When I put the Swampers on it, "they" told me those tires would kill me on the packed snow and ice on the twisty paved mountain roads around here. I'm still alive.

When I put Detroit lockers in it, "they" told me those would kill me on the packed snow and ice on the twisty paved mountain roads around here. I'm still alive.

Do you see a pattern? THEY don't know WTF THEY are talking about. Don't be one of THEM.

Choice of traction aids is personal, just as much as action types, calibers, or clothing decisions. There's no correct one size fits all solution.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My mall crawler

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I was ANTI-OBAMA before it was CooL
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Idaho_Elk_Huntr
My mall crawler

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice! wink

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck with that Tom, I'm sure you're driving skills and luck must be at the apex of human possibility.

speaking only from my experience, I would not put an auto locker in the front of a vehicle that was driven at highway speed on paved roads.

Your opinion is far different, for which I'm not "laffin" I'm jealous I cannot react as quickly or drive as skilled as you can.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If the front axle has hubs you can unlock, you can put a detroit locker in it with no issues. I do realize no one makes axles like that. Tom, does your Rubicon have locking hubs? I can't tell from the pic.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Almost nobody has and uses locking front hubs any more.
The Rubicon has the option, like the Dodge Power Wagon, of selectively locking the rear or both the front and rear axles. I'm with JJ, the only place I'd lock up the front is where I really had to use it. And that's not going downhill.
The guys I know that have such setups tell me that they lock the front rarely, and usually only to move a foot or two. Then they unlock it and proceed if possible. Alot depends on just what one is driving on or over. E

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Idaho_Elk_Huntr
My mall crawler

[Linked Image]

I'm diggin the Mall Crawler.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

First is my old hunting rig 1990 Dodge Ram Charger the second is my import hunting Rig 1989 Mustang GT 347 Stroker 14.0:1 compression with 2spd Power Glide and lots of other goodies smile

[Linked Image]

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6.2L Raptor

[Linked Image]

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Full time locker in the front is not the hot tip. Hubs or no hubs. What good does an unlocking hub do when you need 4WD on the street?

I have unlocking hubs, but I still use ARB lockers F&R.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mauser hunter, I was going to post that as well, but from some of the comments I just figured it would fall on deaf ears. It true, where is the logic in a 4X4 if you have to unlock hubs to have proper control on the highway?

I have electric diff lock on my Cruisers in RSA. Same over all selectable function as the ARB. It's the absolute best option period. However there is one fault with it for my business. When others use the vehicle and don't have a clue what all this means, they burry the truck with open diffs and then select diff lock, ..... too late then most of the time! Not a problem with the locker, but the education. It's just easier to have them automatic and leave the pin heads to remain in the dark.

I will say this one part about the auto locker, The complaints about tight turns on pavement and noise is often seen as a problem. For me, it's like music. I have something that is working and locking and I can tell it's there all the time. That rear locker makes me smile every time I feel that locking action and in gravel the crunching sound of that inside tire is like music!

Several of my friends with open diffs ask about that weird sound from the back. They get a disgusted look when I say it's normal. One in particular with minimal understanding of these things went to the Motocross track on my farm with his truck and mine. We put his truck on a banked turn with one front and one rear off the ground. I got in and told him to watch the tires while in 4wd. The two in the air spun free the truck stayed right there.

Then I put the land cruiser in 2 WD on that same berm and drove off every time. Only then did he fully understand the bigger picture. It's amazing to me that so few people really understand this open/locked diff situation. They all seem to say the same thing: " why is this called 4Wheel drive?" It's only driving two wheels! ......... I always reply .....yep sure is!

I've had a number of limited slip diffs in toyota pickups. Although they are better then a open diff, there is no comparison to the locker. Often times the limited slips will get a tire in the air and not spin! It takes a bit of light and accurate brake action to get it to grab. Again of no help to somebody without experience or not having been shown what to do.

I'll eventually put an ARB or electronic locker on the front, but before that Power Steering is my next priority

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FOsteology
6.2L Raptor

[Linked Image]

I like that custom paint job grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm sure most of you have seen this. It's my real hunting rig.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5847119/My_Jeep#Post5847119

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Most of my hunting is done where full size vehicles aren't going to make it. Either for legal reasons (trail weight limit) or they simply can't make it, regardless of how well built they are. So here's my primary hunting rig - an '08 Yamaha Grizzly 700 with electric power steering, electric selectable front locker and 26.5" Pit Bull Rocker XOR's. So far it's hauled one moose and two black bears out of the woods.

[Linked Image]

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine is a 1994 Ford Centurion C350 (1 ton), with a 460 for power. They didn't make many of these. Sometimes referred to as a 4 door Bronco. Have had it for nearly 15 years now. Great hunting rig with a ton of room. Even stock it sits higher for better viewing going down road. Just turned 117K and runs like new. Likes gas but will pull the whatever down the road, including my 22' North River Inboard Jet. Might say it's been retired to hunting and fishing use for the most part. Never will I part with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Wacenturion; 01/14/12.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty truck.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Wacenturion
Mine is a 1994 Ford Centurion C350 (1 ton), with a 460 for power. They didn't make many of these. Sometimes referred to as a 4 door Bronco. Have had it for nearly 15 years now. Great hunting rig with a ton of room. Even stock it sits higher for better viewing going down road. Just turned 117K and runs like new. Likes gas but will pull the whatever down the road, including my 22' North River Inboard Jet. Might say it's been retired to hunting and fishing use for the most part. Never will I part with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've never seen one of those before.

Cool

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

1978 Moneypit:

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool CJ5 hard tops are just plain cool!

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (338reddog, 300_savage, 308xray, 16penny, 280shooter, 29 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,261
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.