-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I already have a manual (and have read it) and some basic compinents. I still need a press, dies, poweder measure/scale, etc. What kind of economy reloading equipment would yall recomend, what about smartreloader?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to a great hobby. Invest in quality, you only pay once. Watch the classifieds here, or post a WTB, if you know exactly what want. I still use a Co-ax that is 30 years old.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Welcome to the 'fire.

What are cartridges you gonna work with?

I use mainly RCBS stuff but I still use the same Lyman press I bought 25 years ago. Gonna upgrade to the Redding T7 soon, but most are good and will last you along time.

Dies: I like RCBS or Redding
Measure/scale: I use a digital unit, but you can use what comes in a typical kit with good success if looking to keep costs down initially.

You'll also need digital calipers and tools to measure head space and OAL, etc.

Do a couple of searches here and see what you come up with.

Which manual do you have? What bullets do you wish to load?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Partner...

there are some very good handloading starter kits out there... i know that RCBS and Lee Precision both have them, and i'd bet that Hornady does, as well.

I started loading at a pretty young age using equipment we had around the house, but most of which was pretty cheap and easily come by...
I have never purchased a whole set of equipment, but only replaced pieces of what i grew up with here and there...

When i was young, and in the military, i lived in a barracks, and had no access to a loading bench, or workroom...
I, somewhat against the rules, kept a .243 rifle in the trunk of my car, and avoided parking in my units parking lot to avoid "health and welfare" vehicle inspections. I handloaded, right in the barracks...
I used a lee loader, which i'll provide a link for below, an 18" piece of 2X10 laid across my knees for a workbench, and a $3 plastic mallet... my total outlay for equipment, primers, powder and bullets was under $40, in 1977. I had once fired brass from factory ammo already in captivity...

The Lee Loader (LINK) today, costs ~$40... It is a very good tool, and if they make it for the cartridge you need they are a solid value...
I still have, and occasionally use the same Lee loader that i bought for my .243 in 1977... I have more sophisticated equipment at home, but mostly work away from home, and am gone for months at a time... On a job trip where I take a rifle with me, I usually take enough ammo to last... The first time I ran out though, I learned to take a lee loader with me...

And, handloading isn't rocket surgery, but the skills and experience that you gain with the Lee Loader will all apply to using more sophisticated bench equipment, too...

I highly recommend the Lee loader for anyone who is A] short of cash, or B] wanting a simple start in handloading...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RCBS is what I would tell my son to get.

If you load for a Rifle you will need a case trimmer... which is not included.

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
While I agree with the "buy quality and you'll only have to do it once", the Lee kit is a GREAT starting point. I started with this 5 years ago and loaded several thousand rounds. I've upgraded piece by piece as funds have allowed. In fact, I just upgraded to a Co-Ax press. While the Co-Ax is far superior, the Lee was perfect for my initial reloading exploits. I don't regret it one bit. Since you mentioned "economy" in your original post, I think this kit would serve your purposes well. From what I understand, Hornady is also putting out some quality equipment at a reasonable cost.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Find a friend experienced in reloading. Economical? Well, safety first before savings...

Last edited by agazain; 01/16/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
note that the lee starter kit, and the lee loader are 2 different setups, with the lee loader being both more economical, and simpler to use...

i gave a link to the lee loader above, but here is a video of it in use...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Welcome to the world of reloading. You really can't go wrong with any reloading kit out there, but do recognize the differences. With Lee you have applied felt pressure with other presses they cam over when the ram reaches the top.

Mechanical vs Electron scales? I use both to check one another. Electronic scales need a acclimation period to sustain accurate readings.

Progressive vs Single Stage? For me Progressive Auto-indexing presses are really good for high volume loading. Even if I had a progressive press I would still single stage each step because of the steps in between like cleaning the primer pockets.

Dies? All dies on the market today work. Some work better than others. Some higher end bench rest dies hold the bullet straighter. This is believe to reduce run-out (how straight the bullet is in the neck). I think a more concentric neck helps reduce run-out.

Neck sizing vs Full Length? During the initial brass prep I will FL size my brass and neck size the next 4 reloads.

Primer, bullets, brass, powder? Well that's where the fun comes in finding what your firearm(a) like.

You've got a good start in reading that manual. As mentioned above, find someone in your area that's been reloading for sometime. As questions when ever in doubt. Companies like RCBS, Sierra, Hornady, and Barnes will answer questions as well. I tend to lean on Bullet manufactures more than powder manufactures for answers.

The best piece of advice I can contribute is to keep a log of your reloads. I make it a personal rule for myself to batch my brass into lots and keep my reloads down to 5 per lot. I keep a lot per rifle and never share with another rifle.

Work safe and HAVE FUN!!!

HaYen :-)

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a firm believer in buying quality once and then forgetting about it. That means I'd start with the RCBS kit and their dies, etc. I don't see the need for an electronic scale. I have one & it was more of a problem than an asset. Use a balance beam scale at least for small runs. I do recommend a digital vernier caliper tho they're a bit more expensive. There's no interpolation error and for checking OAl, case length, etc., they're much faster. I have to admit that I'm very anal about seating depth (to the ogive, BTW) so the digitals really come into their own here. Although RCBS equipment is A #1, my dies are Forsters and my seaters are their competition seaters. Not necessary when you start out tho. You will need a case trimmer - extra cost and I'd also recommend the RCBS hand primer seater too. If that isn't in the kit, get it. I'd also get several more reloading manuals especially ones with data for the bullets you plan to shoot.
Offhand, can't think of much else but to start out slow & follow the data in the manuals.
Good luck & have fun.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 01/17/12.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

IC B3

R
R
Originally Posted by Jschonfarber
What kind of economy reloading equipment would yall recomend, what about smartreloader?

Smartreloader is made in Italy. To get any warranty, you must ship it to Italy and back. That would cost about three times what it cost to buy it in the first place. Better to buy the Lee press that Smartreloader is directly copying. Better quality, a reasonable two year warranty, and not supporting a Greek's retirement at 45.
Economy is relative. If you replace the inexpensive equipment, you would have saved by buying better the first time.
If you are not sure if reloading is for you, one of the inexpensive Lee kits is easily the least expensive way to get started. Once you have some experience, then you can decide what feature you like, and replace pieces with what will satisfy your needs. Or continue using the Lee stuff, despite what some will say, it does work wink

"I have a tendency against which I should, perhaps, be on my guard, to swim against the stream..." Winston S. Churchill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,269
Posts18,486,588
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.