Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hornady and any left over Nosler Solid bases I find at gunshows,buy them ever time I see them. Gets right down to it anytime I see bullets that are bargains, blems, part boxes and the price is right. I'm a regular bullet whore cause I like to shoot and experience all the bullets I can find.Not sure I think it mught be a disease. Magnum Man

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of the 3, Speer Hot-Core.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Depends on the cartridge for me. I love Hornady 7mm 139 SP and 257 100 SP. In the Sierra the .277 130's are great. Speer make my favorite .308 165 Cup and Core bullet.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer Hornady, but my guess is that they are all good. I know a lot of folks like Sierras.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
It can also depend on how fast you plan to push them.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I tend to use mostly Nosler, but since I am damn near out of SolidBases I have been shooting Btips out of 7-08, .25-06, and .300 WSM. I also shoot a lot of Sierra SP's out of my .243 at steel, paper, and ground squirrels. So I guess its Sierra and Btips for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hornady's and Nosler solid bases are the ones I like.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had good performance from Speer, Hornady, and Sierra bullets as long as I use them within their optimum design parameters. Of the three, Sierra Gamekings and ProHunters seem to be the softest, so they are used in the slower loads. Hornady Interlocks and Speer Hot Cors both seem a bit tougher to me. Some combinations I particularly like are the 300gr Speer Uni-Cor in the 45-70, 140gr Sierra Gameking in 6.5x55, and 175gr Hornady SP Interlock in 7x57.

I don't like lightweight, or even mid-weight, for caliber jacketed bullets of any brand. The "GEE-WHIZ" high velocity of light bullets makes them blowup at close range, and poop-out at long range, and they don't shoot so much flatter as many folks think they do. Heavier bullets work well at all ranges. I noticed that the OP doesn't seem to like lightweight bullets either.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by boomwack
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I think "plain jane" usually refers to a lack of controlled expansion, simply C&C bullets.

Yep, simple cup/core bullets... aka plain jane, regular, standard, normal, regular soft point. Just a copper jacket housing some lead... No partitions, bonding of core, no non-monometal things.

JUST my opinion, Tips mean nothing other than a colorful, pointy addition to the general cup/core bullet....they still just a cup/core bullet!

Not hardly. What's a cannnelure for except to control expansion. That makes Hornady ILs to be controlled expansion bullets.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hornady 150 and 165gr in 30-06 and 308 have worked just fine for me on WTs. Same for 139gr Hornady SPs in 280 Rem. Still load 100gr Remington CLs in 243 because A) never had a problem with them, and B) I have several hundred left.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Man this 'plane jane' topic get'n hits! Hornady seems to still be leading...

Cannelures serve a few purposes, bullet location in case, crimpping, then help in controlling of expansion.

Hornadys Interlock feature is the litte raised ring below the cannelure. There jackets are tapered like every body elts, which has more to do with controlling expansion.

The nosler 60 gr. .224 varmint ballistic tip has a cannelure along with other .22 cal varmint bullets. I'm thinking controlled expansion polly' not on performance list for those bullets.

"Interlock" is hornadys gimmick just like the speer "hot-core" or core-lokt from remington and sierra gameking.

Sorry, the hornady interlock is not a controlled expansion bullet, but a darn good plain jane...

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like 'em all. My 35 Remington really shines with 180 grain flatnose by Speer.

TR

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Day in and day out EVERY rifle I own shoot Nosler BT, Sierra GK & PH and plain old Hornady Interlock just great. Standard cup and core vs what Mule Deer calls boutique bullets always shoot better.They all kill game really well. I also use Nosler ab , swift scirocco 2 , Hornady IB, but they do not shoot as good from the bench as the simpler designs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They pretty much all work if put where they belong. No barbs on any of the brands below but having found success had little motivation to try much of anything else. Standard cup and core designs, no polymer tips, in order of general use:

Hornady, Sierra, Speer

More recently I've found Nosler Partition QC has improved sufficiently that I find them consistently accurate and reliable. They are go to bullets for me if inclined to use jacketed bullets from .416 down.

With that said I've started casting bullets and have been paper patching for over 10 years. I like the way it works and probably have 2 lifetimes worth of jacketed bullets on hand.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used Sierras a lot and Hornadys some. Not sure a fellow could ever tell them apart based on performance on game. Both have killed deer and hogs very well
for me. They're so good, in fact, that I doubt I'll find the need to look further in a C&C bullet.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For big game? Hornady

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
With that said I've started casting bullets and have been paper patching for over 10 years. I like the way it works and probably have 2 lifetimes worth of jacketed bullets on hand.

That is quite cool, Disturbed Dan. How fast do you push your paper patched bullets and still get good acuracy?

I cast too, but usually pistol bullets. I really do not like casting. It is boring and can be a PITA when things don't work right. Then there's the luber/sizer work. But I can cast a lot of bullets with my 6-cavity moulds, and they shoot good too. My 45 Bishawk with 4-5/8" barrel puts my homecast 250gr slugs into one hole at 25 yards when the shooter is doing his job. Hunting rabbits and squirrels and deer with a revolver is a hoot!

Sorry for the diversion.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

Yep same here.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

+1 Hot-Cores all the way!

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I guess if you include the V-Max and A-Max, I tend to use Hornady C&C bullets more than any other. ...

Ditto here. Have some others left over from purchases years past but A-MAX, V-MAX and FTX are all I recall buying in "plain Jane" bullets over the last couple years.

For hunting it is TTSX, FTX, AccuBond, Scirocco and North Fork.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 22250rem, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,491,995
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.