Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Went to Cabelas today and had an opportunity to finally see two of the Cabelas' 50th Anniversary .257 Roberts that are starting to show up listed at $1799. Not impressed. One had some figure in the stock and the other looked better, but paled in comparison as far as wood to a Cabelas' 50th .270 on the rack for less money, like in $400 less as it was on sale.

Saw two other .257's on line at different Cabelas stores. One was pretty nice, similar to the better one I looked at today and the other looked like a regular model 70 with a plain Jane stock. I might add, they just seemed somewhat lacking. Not sure if the finish, feel or what.

Got a hunch most of these 50th Anniversary guns (all calibers) will go on sale. For what they are asking, they'll be slow movers for sure.

Should have ditched the Cabelas floor plate....what a turn off. Just my opinion.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I own an FN-made M70, the "Extreme Weather" version, in 300WSM. I also own a Classic DBM model (30-06), an XTR featherweight (in 257 Roberts),a pre-war in 300H&H, and a '49-vintage rifle in 30-06.

The FN gun is the easiest bolt to work. It is in a B&C Medalist stock, wears Talley lightweights, and a Leupold VX7. This gun is where I go for foul weather. My Classic in '06 is in a crappy IM plastic stock, but after bedding and pillars, it actually is my best shooter, turning in groups aroudn 0.5" at 100 with handloads. The 257 usually will stay under 0.7". I am still working on "the" load with the 300WSM. Last batch I tried, I got a load that shot under 0.5", so we'll see if it repeats on my next range trip.

The 300H&H is new to me, and I haven't had a chance to shoot it much, yet. It has some real promise, though.

The pre-64 '06 is a solid shooter, solidly built rifle, and may well be my very favorite of the whole bunch right now. It just feels.....right....to me.

I felt when the Cabela's rifles came out that they would not be the collectible Cabela's hoped they would. The continual discounts on them to get them to sell seems to validate my prediction. Doesn't mean they're bad guns, just that people are not running to snatch them up.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tddeangelo
I own an FN-made M70, the "Extreme Weather" version, in 300WSM. I also own a Classic DBM model (30-06), an XTR featherweight (in 257 Roberts),a pre-war in 300H&H, and a '49-vintage rifle in 30-06.

The FN gun is the easiest bolt to work. It is in a B&C Medalist stock, wears Talley lightweights, and a Leupold VX7. This gun is where I go for foul weather. My Classic in '06 is in a crappy IM plastic stock, but after bedding and pillars, it actually is my best shooter, turning in groups aroudn 0.5" at 100 with handloads. The 257 usually will stay under 0.7". I am still working on "the" load with the 300WSM. Last batch I tried, I got a load that shot under 0.5", so we'll see if it repeats on my next range trip.

The 300H&H is new to me, and I haven't had a chance to shoot it much, yet. It has some real promise, though.

The pre-64 '06 is a solid shooter, solidly built rifle, and may well be my very favorite of the whole bunch right now. It just feels.....right....to me.

I felt when the Cabela's rifles came out that they would not be the collectible Cabela's hoped they would. The continual discounts on them to get them to sell seems to validate my prediction. Doesn't mean they're bad guns, just that people are not running to snatch them up.

Pretty much mirrors my experience....Good post...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
J
I can vouch for Northern Firearms on Gunbroker. They post clear photos of the actual gun for sale. Great customer service. I just bought my third gun from them, a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Custom High Grade in 25.06. Looking forward to putting a Leupold VX3 Fixed 6 power scope on it and taking it to the range!

Here is my rifle
[Linked Image]

Here is a picture of the floor plate for these guns.
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If this has been mentioned sorry for repeating it. Cabelas has put some of their commemeratives on sale. plus will though a shotgun in for free.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Since the thread came back up....

I did finally find one of the Cabelas Ltd. Edition Supergrade Lightweight .257 Roberts that I liked. Very pleased. Here's a couple photos.............

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Better wood than the JOC Tributes and Custom Tributes I've seen....shame on Winchester....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Something that seems to be seldom, if ever, commented on is barrel life. A 1963 M70 is 50 years old. If used how much barrel life is left? A 1940 model is over 70 years old.

I like to shoot my guns so for this reason have absolutely no interest in some gun this old. If you want one and are going to throw it into the safe and just look at it occasionally I guess it's alright.

A few months ago I bought an unfired 2011 or 2012 Super Grade for $900. Remember, this is in Canada where prices normally run higher than US prices. It already has about 400 rounds through it and the summer shooting season hasn't come yet.

Buyers and potential buyers seem to like praising the shooting qualities of the early M70's. If the buyers are afraid of shooting the barrels out (can't have a new barrel on a Classic!)then what is the point?

There may be a few pristine guns out there but they must be few and far between these days. From what I read the more pristine the gun the less likely the owner is to shoot it.

Obviously not everyone thinks the way I do but to me a gun is a shooting tool and if I was concerned about using it there would be little point in acquiring it.

Jim

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Something that seems to be seldom, if ever, commented on is barrel life. A 1963 M70 is 50 years old. If used how much barrel life is left? A 1940 model is over 70 years old.

I like to shoot my guns so for this reason have absolutely no interest in some gun this old. If you want one and are going to throw it into the safe and just look at it occasionally I guess it's alright.

A few months ago I bought an unfired 2011 or 2012 Super Grade for $900. Remember, this is in Canada where prices normally run higher than US prices. It already has about 400 rounds through it and the summer shooting season hasn't come yet.

Buyers and potential buyers seem to like praising the shooting qualities of the early M70's. If the buyers are afraid of shooting the barrels out (can't have a new barrel on a Classic!)then what is the point?

There may be a few pristine guns out there but they must be few and far between these days. From what I read the more pristine the gun the less likely the owner is to shoot it.

Obviously not everyone thinks the way I do but to me a gun is a shooting tool and if I was concerned about using it there would be little point in acquiring it.

Jim

That kind of goes back to my original question when I started this thread. The new FN Model 70's are an exact, or almost an exact duplication of the pre-64's...controlled feed etc, except for new M.O.A. trigger.

I have looked at a couple nice pre-64 Model 70's in .257 and other calibers and to be honest if I had to choose between them, it would be the one pictured above that I purchased.

Reasons...Brand new....nicer wood....half or more less in price. I personally would choose the new one, even if the same price. I understand that nice .257's in pre-64 Supergrades can be upwards of $3k---7k, but when I can buy one like the one I picked up for under 2k, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Of course I'm not buying to collect, but rather to hunt with.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Maybe a good way to look at the comparison is to say that based on the replication of the FN made Model 70's to the pre-64's, the new guns appear to be an exceptional value today when compared to most rifles out there. This based on positive owner comments, regarding both the quality and out of box accuracy of the South Carolina guns.

Last edited by Wacenturion; 01/12/13.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 32 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,440
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.