Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel
i got it figgured out now--that there rifle only says swift on the barrel--but it gots a thutty calibur sized hole in that there muzzle--i jes know it fer sure...!

You still have your old Sako swift?

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel
i got it figgured out now--that there rifle only says swift on the barrel--but it gots a thutty calibur sized hole in that there muzzle--i jes know it fer sure...!

You still have your old Sako swift?

oh yeah--

my boy back in nyc wants it, as he cut his teeth using it on chucks...i'll let em have soon enough, cuz i now use my savage 340 thutty thutty--for serious purposes...

remember i reshaped the stock, and had nagorski checker it--the fore end on it is now pear shaped, instead of square, as it was originally when i bought it...

now, those kills were plenty dramatic mister--but did ya fix yerself some steaks and eat em in the tall flare of sunset?

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Eyeballs trailing dogs wouldn't get much "training" following up the deer I've shot with my .22 centerfires.
Most I have shot with a 223 and 55 gr sp run close to a hundred. The dog is a GSP and great on quail but since I archery hunt I want a dog which could possibly find me a poorly hit deer. I have been bit by Murphys law on more than one occasion. Last year she trailed up the first muley buck by a ranchers grandson and earned me the right to hunting on a ranch money can't buy.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Eyeballs trailing dogs wouldn't get much "training" following up the deer I've shot with my .22 centerfires.
Most I have shot with a 223 and 55 gr sp run close to a hundred.
I don't know what to tell ya man.. I've not had one go more than 50 yards after poking it with a .223 yet. In fact, none of the 3 I shot through the lungs with a .22 Magnum and 40 gr. JHP's made it more than 75 yards. You must be shooting them wrong or sumthin'.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
If I'm out hunting varmints or wild dogs with my 223TikkaT3 (1 in 8" Twist) or my 22/250s, I carry a few rounds loaded with 60Gn Partitions, I'd hate to miss out on a freezer filler, if one wandered along.

If I was going to hunt deer exclusively, I'd probably carry my 240Wby or my 270W.

The young lady in question has been shooting with a 35Remington, she will probably be lethal with the 22/250.

"I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
She shoots everything I have very well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image]

A mule deer buck I killed 32 years ago with my Sako .220 swift when it still had some varnish on the stock. I shot from the pine ridge in the background. I don't remember what bullet it was, but do remember the buck running about 30 yards before tipping over after a broadside, behind the shoulder shot.

Doesn't look like I was wearing out many razors back then......grin!

Wearing an Iowa shirt must be good luck wink

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I feel a .243 is a better choice.

I agree, the 243 is a better choice for big game and the minimum here in Wyoming......

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Can't add much to what has probably been said here in 17 pages of responses..I had a Sporter Weight 22.250 from Ruger that I traded off.. but I tried it several seasons or opportunities..

loaded with a Barnes 53 grain X Bullet, it was bang/flop each time...

also had success with a 223, and 45 grain X Bullet at 22 Hornet velocities...was experimenting instead of trying a stunt as the heavier bullet and caliber crowd like to accuse us off...

I look at needing to know what a rifle can do if one has to rely on it to survive.. yet with limited resources..

on both sides of the family, granddads back during the depression supplied meat on the table to feed families with game that was taken down with a 22LR.... be it squirrel, possum, raccoon, rabbit, deer or whatever..

have a 25/20 that saw a lot of action to put food on the table from the early 1900s to well into the 1940s...an old Marlin 93 that belonged to a friend of the mine, who had no children to pass it down to..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by eyeball
But, neck or body, please, with regards to the hp.?

[Linked Image]

This is the last buck I shot with my swift(2009). Broadside, behind the shoulder with a 52 Sierra.....it went completely through. The buck in my avatar was shot with the same rifle and a 55gr Hornady.

WOW!

I only see deer like that in pictures, on barroom walls in the middle of nowhere.. or occasionally just wondering off the hwy east of the Cascades here in Oregon, during the summer when it isn't deer season of course...

guy here in town screws with me when he sees me at the range, and he has a Model 54 in 220 Swift, and an old 6 power scope on top of it, that looks like the day it rolled off the factory floor...

belonged to his dad, and was the only rifle his dad ever owned to hunt with ( so he says)... but he used it on deer, elk and whatever here in Oregon from 1940 when he got it new to when he passed away or last hunted in 1972....claims to have shot many a deer and elk with it annually, whether legal or illegal ( his dad)....

I must admit, the word legal hunting wasn't much of a concern where my grandparents in WVa... my grandad shot deer as needed for meat right up thru 1968 when he passed away.. didn't matter what time of year it was... and so did a lot of other relatives down that way... and I assume most of the other locals... wasn't much law enforcement around to worry about enforcing much of anything..

different place, different times..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IME...you're very good to go with the 22/250. I'd not worry one iota.

Take pics for us.

Dober

ever notice how guys, especially in Montana, accomplish all sorts of stuff, that everyone else on the internet claim is impossible??

they just go out and do it... these two pics are an example..

might have something to do with them understanding the concept of shotplacement..

in a pinch, one of the boys I was taking out hunting, wanted to try to call coyotes.. and Oregon here allows that last week end to stay open for kids UNDER 18.. when the season ends on Friday for everyone else..

we didn't have luck calling up a coyote, but a spike buck was passing thru the area...all the kid had was a 204 with a 34 grain HP in it..one shot, the deer went 50 to 60 yds, like it hadn't been hit.. then layed down... wasn't too much brush around...

deer was laying down and panting when we got within 20 yds or him or so.. told Lewis to shoot it in the head.. which he did...and it expired...

still that little 20 cal 34 grain HP did a job on the lung it hit.. post mortem...

don't read this as recommending the 204 as a deer rig... but in a pinch, it worked out just fine.. shot placement in the lung worked out just fine... shot taken by the kid at 100 yds or so... he just pulled up the rifle and shot before I had a chance to tell him not to...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I can't wait until someone shows a picture of a deer killed with a BB gun.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Seafire

ever notice how guys, especially in Montana, accomplish all sorts of stuff, that everyone else on the internet claim is impossible??

they just go out and do it...

Dat about wraps it up... grin

Now, where did I leave my Red Ryder...? wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Well, I can't say it didn't get the job done. I just hate to recommend a caliber that needs a perfect shot to work. Especially, for a 16 year old. Who can say they never hit a shoulder when they were aiming behind it?

Then again. I use a 30-30 and a .270 for elk. So, who am I to talk?

Carry on.

How bout a 5 yo toting a 223 and 3, 9yos with the largest caliber being a 22-250.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I beg to differ.

Toby Joe

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This one took it with a 222.
[Linked Image]

They dont work

Toby Joe

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gotta admit...I'm, lovin' this stuff..

good pics TJR... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Seafire

they just go out and do it...

Dat about wraps it up... grin

Now, where did I leave my Red Ryder...? wink

Next to the last Mastodon you shot with it whistle grin ?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Now that you mention it, that IS what happened to the last of the Great Herds.... grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Be careful with that thing - You'll shoot your eye out if you're not careful................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started out hunting whitetails with a 22-250. I think it is a great rifle to start a young hunter out on. I have killed more whitetails with a 22-250 and a sierra 55 grain bthp than I have with anything else.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,499
Posts18,490,472
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.