Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
1899sav Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boltman
Originally Posted by lovemy99
Wow - that is one ugly hole. As we know, they did make a sight to mount on the wrist, but that sure isn't it. I do agree that the hole in the receiver hole looks about right for a climbin Lyman. That rifle is a great example of a rifle that I sure ain't interested in.

you sure that is not the tang site for the wrist of an 1895?

I guess it would be interesting to see what letters are marked on the underside of that tang sight. Don - what is marked on the underside of yours? I have learned something today as I have never seen a tang sight mounted on a wrist of a M1895. The only wood mounted one I was aware of was the one that is mounted much further back. And that one sort of made sense for someone who wanted a sight close to their eye. That model is more commonly found on Winchesters. Back to the one mounted on the M1895 wrist - this is not making sense to me as why not just mount a sight in the rear tang where there are tap holes put there specifically for that purpose confused

Mine are Marked S21

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovemy99
Wow - that is one ugly hole. As we know, they did make a sight to mount on the wrist, but that sure isn't it. I do agree that the hole in the receiver hole looks about right for a climbin Lyman. That rifle is a great example of a rifle that I sure ain't interested in.

you sure that is not the tang site for the wrist of an 1895?

Back to the one mounted on the M1895 wrist - this is not making sense to me as why not just mount a sight in the rear tang where there are tap holes put there specifically for that purpose confused

Maybe they had not convinced Lyman to make a whole new tang sight designed to fit the holes they had set-up for them yet??

When do tang sights that fit the factory holes first show up in catalogs or advertisements?

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"...this is not making sense to me as why not just mount a sight in the rear tang where there are tap holes put there specifically for that purpose ".

Because this is the first Lyman tang sight made for the 1895. They are marked "SA". There was not one available yet that mounted using the Savage tang screw holes. We have seen several 1895's with the screw holes in the wood and a few that still had the sight mounted.

Lyman probably used a sight made for another rifle (Marlin, Stevens...) with some small modification till they could produce one to fit the factory holes.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Elwood used to have one of those on his 1895.

I still have one that uses the wood screws on my desk that is stamped SA underneath.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Joe,Thats the one i own now ,got it off Elwood!! Don

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ah, o.k., ya I've got a couple pics of that gun, very nice.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, heres a pic of Dons gun and a pic of my SA 1895 tang sight.

Anyone here with a sharp eye see a similarity thats probably not just a coincidence?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup, plain as day! wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wierd that they would make them like that huh?

And they can only go in one way so it's not like someone put them in backwards.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rick99
"...this is not making sense to me as why not just mount a sight in the rear tang where there are tap holes put there specifically for that purpose ".

Because this is the first Lyman tang sight made for the 1895. They are marked "SA". There was not one available yet that mounted using the Savage tang screw holes. We have seen several 1895's with the screw holes in the wood and a few that still had the sight mounted.

Lyman probably used a sight made for another rifle (Marlin, Stevens...) with some small modification till they could produce one to fit the factory holes.

i foundan 1899A ser32,xxx that originaly had a tang sight on the wrist but now wears one on the tang,,i presumed that it wore a winchester one but now am changing my mind,. if i ever get the gun i will ask if there is not only the rear sight [thinks he has it ] but the old tang as well ,

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Do we have any examples of what we believe to be correct tang sights mounted in this same location on M1899's?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For those who hadn't seen the pictures of the tang sight referred to earlier, here goes. This is the only style tang sight I am aware of that was made to fit on the wrist of a M1899. Note that the holes would be located much further down on the wrist than the M1895 tang sight. Norm - where were the holes on the one you saw?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That sight brings a whole new dimension to potentially shooting your eye out! wink

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From the 1897 catalogue

[Linked Image]

Blair

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For those who hadn't seen the pictures of the tang sight referred to earlier, here goes. This is the only style tang sight I am aware of that was made to fit on the wrist of a M1899. Note that the holes would be located much further down on the wrist than the M1895 tang sight. Norm - where were the holes on the one you saw?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

that looks about right,its been about 3 months since i looked at it

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know where theres one of those S1S's, just haven't gotten around to coming to a price on it, the guy also has a Lyman SJ which I've never seen before either.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Joe,I had two of those eye punchers, one for a savage and one for a Winchester model 1895, i traded the Winchester one to a friend who collects sights,said W12 something on the base.I couldent even shoulder the rifle without having that thing in my eye !!!!! crazy crazy.Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats pretty much all I want it for to Don.

I've got one here now thats stamped S2S and then stamped 1914 beside it. Kinda neat that they stamped the model # into the sight as well.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Thats pretty much all I want it for to Don.

I've got one here now thats stamped S2S and then stamped 1914 beside it. Kinda neat that they stamped the model # into the sight as well.

Don - I have shouldered a couple Winchester M1894's with this sight. The sight sure does provide a tremendous open field of view!

By the way, it would be interesting to know if your M1895 Winchester was shipped with that sight. Only about one in ten M1895's were tapped for tang sight.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Steve, The sight was one i bought separate some years back, i just put it on the rifle to see how it fit me ,it didnt !! smile i didn't screw it down just held it in place with my hand.:) Don

Last edited by Loggah; 01/17/12.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,730
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.