Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone on the fire do this sort of thing, or even specialize in the Scandi style of blade? Just doing some research at this point, and might be placing a order in the near future.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Charles May
Does a pro scandi grind
Model called a Skifa Scandi is basically,based on the Pukko influence I do believe

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
sign up to Britishblades and you will find a many makers who do what you want, its probably the most popular blade grind around at the moment. Driftwoodwalker and FYGT are a couple of makers that you will NOT be disappointed with and the prices are very good. I have about 5 to hand and more in storage!!!.

The most popular steel that you will find will be O1, most will be 4mm ala woodlore but my preference is for 3mm . fygt

Last edited by UKdave; 01/14/12.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to you both, any other recommendations?

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are some folks that hang around on the BushCraft USA website that make a true Scandi/Woodslore Style knife. Some have a back log but that is because they have gained a following and their work is worth the wait.

Lots of Makers will give one of their existing models a Scandi Grind if asked.

Also, if you haven't take a look at the MORA of Sweden knives, great knives for the money and if you have never used a Scandi grind that is an easy way to try one out. Ragweed Forge has a great selection of them.

~ Fort Henry Custom Knives ~

Serious Knives for the Serious Hunter
http://www.forthenrycustomknives.com
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A Puukko is a STYLE of knife- not merely a blade grind.

None of the American custom makers mentioned nor any of the Brit Woodlore "Bushcraft" style knife makers build a true Finnish Puukko style knife.

Merely putting a Scandi blade grind on a modern, full tang hunting knife sure does not make it a "Puukko" knife.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info. I was aware of that Jim. Big diff between just a Scandi grind and the construction of the Finnish Puuko. I am looking for a custom Puuko. I added the info about the blade grind to illicit more information.

Been looking at this brand:

Karesuando Knives

Also considering options like Helle.

Last edited by Mink; 01/15/12.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mink
Thanks for the info. I was aware of that Jim. Big diff between just a Scandi grind and the construction of the Finnish Puuko. I am looking for a custom Puuko. I added the info about the blade grind to illicit more information.

Been looking at this brand:

Karesuando Knives

Mink,

I figured you knew the difference. wink

As to good Puukkos, check out the KELLAM line of knives. They are made in Finnland and they sell several styles .

Knifeworks.com has good prices on Kellams and this is a great knife for the $$$-
http://www.knifeworks.com/kellampuukkobirchhandle.aspx

They also carry the Kero line of knives from Sweden-
Here is a great one-

http://www.knifeworks.com/kerokemicurlybirchandreindeerantlerhandle.aspx

Also Ragnar at Ragweedforge.com for sells some great Puukko knives.He may be the best overall soruce for Scandinaivan factory knives in the US. I know he was selling them before they were "cool"..LOl

A superb one is this Aitt Pukko with the stacked Birchbark scales. It does not get more authentically "puukko" than that..At $100- you'd have to spend twice that to get a better knife from any custom maker-

http://www.ragweedforge.com/1244-bark.jpg

As to Keresuado knives, they are merely OK ,IMHO. I like their overall styling but their construction is pretty average. The blade tangs only go about 1/3 of the way down the handle(none of them are through tangs) and the steels they use are pretty average as well.None of their blades are laminated steel, either. Just about any higher end Helle model is a better made knife.

You will note, that all the knives I recommended above have blade tangs that go all the way through the handle and are peened over a metal cap at the end. IMHO, if one spends more than say $20 bucks on a Mora Companion etc , they should get a wood handled knife with a full length tang for their $$. No reason to settle for anything less.

The reason why Kersuado and other companies build knifes with mere glued in handles is that it is cheaper to do it that way.

Last edited by jim62; 01/15/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.hankala.com/englanti/metsastys/tuhkuri_engl.htm

Mink, take a look at Jukka's knives..his tuhkuri is splendid in all aspects...if you like the blade shape...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by UKdave
sign up to Britishblades and you will find a many makers who do what you want, its probably the most popular blade grind around at the moment. Driftwoodwalker and FYGT are a couple of makers that you will NOT be disappointed with and the prices are very good. I have about 5 to hand and more in storage!!!.

The most popular steel that you will find will be O1, most will be 4mm ala woodlore but my preference is for 3mm . fygt

+1 for mentioning Lance Ockenden, aka 'driftwood'. I have several of his fine 01 blades now. Here is his web page:
http://www.driftwoodwalker.co.uk/
Here is my favorite, and it is just about perfect.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

IC B3

Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh yeah, now we're rolling. grin Great suggestions all, thanks. Will definitely being looking more into these makers.

K
KBA Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
And to think that just yesterday I was drawing out my rendition of what I was going to call my "Yankee Puukko".
This is to reflect my direction as a knife maker and do it with Puukko "flair".
When it happens, I'll try to remember to post it here.

Karl B. Andersen
www.andersenforge.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
kullervo

I've used this knife in size small for a few seasons now and highly recommend it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Karl Eric Lindblad is a quality bladesmith over in Sweden. I don't know if he has a web site, but he posts knives for sale fairly often in Blade Forums and Knife Forums in the US.
Here is a smaller Scandi grind blade he made for me in 2010. Steel is laminated Swedish Stainless.
KE will make about any size, and I have seen some of his Finnish Puuko style knives with blades that were in the 10 inch range.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW here is the Aito Puuko with stacked Birch Bark Handle:

[Linked Image]

I really like the stacked birch bark in the handle. Dunno if it will hold up as long as leather would but it definitely has a special feel to it...................dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by djpaintless
FWIW here is the Aito Puuko with stacked Birch Bark Handle:

[Linked Image]

I really like the stacked birch bark in the handle. Dunno if it will hold up as long as leather would but it definitely has a special feel to it...................dj

How do you like the steel in that knife?

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jim62

How do you like the steel in that knife?

Sharpens very easily but seems a tad bit on the soft side. Might be because it's pure carbon steel which sharpens easier than more complex stuff. I haven't put it to severe enough use yet to comment very well on it's edge holding. I've worked with a buddy's "silver steel" Puukka's which are very easy to sharpen too and stay that way for a Loooonnng time. I'd probably use a Puukka more but they make me a little nervous after the same buddy nearly cut his finger off by sliding too far forward without a guard. He said he couldn't feel the cut till it hit bone............dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Karl Eric Lindblad is a quality bladesmith over in Sweden. I don't know if he has a web site, but he posts knives for sale fairly often in Blade Forums and Knife Forums in the US.
Here is a smaller Scandi grind blade he made for me in 2010. Steel is laminated Swedish Stainless.
KE will make about any size, and I have seen some of his Finnish Puuko style knives with blades that were in the 10 inch range.
[Linked Image]

Very nice

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 1,946 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,874
Posts18,497,622
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.