-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Hey folks, I�ve not reloaded a single round but I�m fascinated with the Idea of customizing loads for my rifles to make them more accurate. What sparked my interest was my Savage ML10 which shoots smokless. Basically its reloading at the range. Any way I need advice on what equipment I need. I have a RCBS Chargemaster/ scale. But what would you suggest as far as a list of must haves to get started. Maybe even extras if they would help a beginner keep from getting discouraged. I don�t have a press yet even. I�m not saying money isn�t a object, but I would like to avoid disappointment and rebuying new to replace cheep ineffective equipment. I�m shooting brass that has already been shot in my guns so should I get neck dies or resizing dies. The calibers I shoot are: 223 WSSM, 260 Rem., 7mm rem. Mag., 30 06, and 300 WSM. I�m not sure if this makes a difference when buying equipment , but there you have it any suggestions would be appreciated.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RCBS,Foster,Redding are all good...Rockchucker starter kit will get to started...neck dies alone won't cut it,but if you wanted you could get by with FL sizer dies and partial FL size

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
+1 on the rockchucker starter kit. You already have the chargemaster, so you are lightyears ahead of where i started.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If it were me, I'd make my first purchase a load book. There are several good ones. Hornady, Speer, Lyman comes to mind. And read the into to reloading section cover to cover. Twice.
And my first reloads would be simple standard full length resized reloads. Forget for the time being, any sort of special techniques like neck sizing or specialty dies.
Your question will get as many different answers as there are reloading kits. And everyone will avow that his ideas are the absolute best.
Only after you have learnt the basic needs for reloading can you properly seperate the wheat from the chaff in the answers.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started with the $100 Lee kit back in 1995. It will do the job and make accurate ammo. I slowly upgraded to a better powder scale and a heavier press. I now resize on a Rockchucker and seat with my old Lee. I still use everything from the Lee kit except the powder scale. I think it's great starter kit.

LEE kit

Take your kids hunting, instead of hunting your kids.
IC B2

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Welcome to the 'fire.

Much has been written the past couple weeks about the very same question you ask. Skim through the reloading threads and you can probably make a short list pretty quick.

A kit is a great way to begin! But might I suggest reading as much as you can and jotting down some good notes. Get a good feel for what's going on before you send the brass up in the die, etc.

You can also jump onto the RCBS site for example and have a look at the presses, tools, etc to help you out.

I'd also keep one eye on the classifieds here and one eye on ebay. Especially for good quality used presses.

I'm actualluy bidding on another RCBS RCII right now!

I'd also recommend starting with your 30-06 as it's about as straight forward as it gets. Go buy some IMR4350 and some 165gr bullets and rock on...

For dies, I'd buy RCBS F/L die and a seater to start....

I'm also very happy with Winchester primers.

A couple loading manuals, Bullets, Powder, Press, dies, shell holders, caliper, powder measure and scale, trimmer with pilots, deburring tool, tin of Imperial sizing wax, tools to measure head space and OAL. And a tumbler if you desire super shinny brass (or just buy some flitz and polish them real quick yourself).

As you will quickly learn, the list can and will be as endless as you wish to make it.....and it's all good stuff!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Couldn't have said it better myself.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lists of Equipment Required for Reloading- Bare Bones and Recommended

by AssaultRifler with Input From the AR15.com Reloading Community
February 2008

This article contains lists of the reloading equipment needed ranging from the bare bones minimum of a person that wants to start reloading with the minimum investment, to a full up selection of the recommended tools for someone running a progressive press. Depending on the handloader�s need for specialty applications such as serious competitive target shooting, additional tools not listed might be required.

Recommendations for specific brands are pretty well left out to reduce the clutter and present just the tools needed, not who makes them or where to buy them. A manufacturer might be listed when no similar or equivalent tool is available, or a particular maker�s tool is considered to set the benchmark. You�ll see that the tools are organized by task; hopefully that will help new reloaders understand the process.

If you�re inclined, there are several things you make at home � case blocks, lube, dippers, deburring tools, and even a vibratory or rotary tumbler.

��������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

Bare Bones Equipment - Single Stage Press

Brass prep:
- hand primer pocket reamer

Sizing/bullet seating:
- case lube
- dies
o sizer and seater-crimper dies for bottleneck cartridges
o sizer, expander, and seater-crimper dies for straight wall cases
- single stage press
- shell holder

Priming:
- press mounted priming unit or hand priming tool

Trimming:
- calipers (rifle only)
- case gage
- deburring tool
- Lee or lathe type trimmer

Powder dispensing:
- powder Measure
- powder funnel
- mechanical beam scale

Notes:
- Not included in the Bare Bones level: a tumbler, tumbling media, media separator, media polish, loading blocks, bullet puller, or stuck case remover.
- The Bare Bones set up assumes the reloader will be cleaning his brass by hand, with soap and water or similar means rather than a tumbler.
- Case loading blocks can be made from a piece of wood and drill bit or plastic ammo trays. Or, charge one case at a time with powder then immediately seat the bullet.
- A bullet puller is not listed in this is Bare Bones list, toss the bad round or use a pair of pliers and the loading press to pull bullets.
- A stuck case remover can be fashioned from tools you might have on hand, i.e., a tap, socket, and bolt.

��������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������-

Recommended Equipment - Single Stage or Turret Press

Brass prep:
- hand primer pocket cleaner
- hand primer pocket uniformer
- primer pocket swager
- tumbler
- tumbling media
- media separator
- media polish

Press:
- single stage or turret press

Sizing and bullet seating:
- case lube
- dies
- shell holder

Priming:
- hand priming tool

Trimming:
- calipers
- case gage
- deburring tool
- powered trimmer

Powder dispensing:
- loading blocks
- powder measure
- powder measure stand
- powder funnel
- beam or electronic scale

Scale
- electronic scale

Screw ups:
- bullet puller
- stuck case remover

Notes:
- An electronic powder dispenser can be substituted for the powder measure and electronic scale.
- A mechanical beam scale can be substituted for an electronic device, but most people find electronic scales easier to use.
- A hand cranked lathe type trimmer can be substituted for the powered trimmer, but most people enjoy the speed and lack of fatigue that comes from using a powered trimmer.
- A collet type bullet puller can be added, but this type can't pull a bullet that has been set back, hence this is a tool bought in addition to a kinetic bullet puller, not as a substitute.

There�s a fair chance that the average reloader that reaches this stage will have both types of scale and trimmer.

��������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������-

Recommended Equipment - Progressive Press

Brass prep:
- primer pocket cleaner
- primer pocket uniformer
- primer pocket swager
- tumbler
- tumbling media
- media separator
- media polish

Press:
- progressive
- caliber conversion kit with a shell plate and powder funnel or charging die

Sizing and bullet seating:
- case lube (rifle only)
- dies

Priming:
- primer flipper tray
- extra primer pickup tubes

Trimming:
- calipers
- case gage
- deburring tool
- powered trimmer

Powder dispensing:
- the measure included with the press (although the measures from other makers can sometimes be substituted)

Scale
- electronic scale

Screw ups:
- bullet puller
- stuck case remover

Notes:
- Progressive press users don't need a separate powder measure, loading blocks, nor
electronic powder dispenser.
- Accessories for progressive press are not listed because they're brand specific, e.g. the Strong Nount and bullet trays for the Dillon presses.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
First off get the Lyman or Hordany manual or both and read all about reloading, internal balistics, that is what happens when the firing pin first hits the primer to the bullet leaving the barrel. Get your head into the chamber, that will help you understand what is happening and give you a real insight to different primers, powder burn rates, bullet seating depth, different sizing of the cases, ect.
A kit is the best buy, I have had RCBS and Lee, and dies from different manifactures. RCBS is expensive but good stuff. Lee dies and presses are much cheaper and just as good. Lee powder measures and scales work but are toys. Lee makes good stuff and simple for the price but not always user friendly. Thier case length trimmers work, cheap and fool proof, thier hand priming tools the same. I IMHO think hand priming is the only way to go.
Lyman and Hordany is about the same as RCBS, just a different color. Talk to people at your gun club and ask here first before buying, somethings are a must, some are convience, and some are expensive conviences/time savers.

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Chainsaw,
Jeese that was a chainsaw massacre!!!! I have been reloading for over 40 years and you just over whelmed me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobnRoy257_b4_Bob257AI
Chainsaw,
Jeese that was a chainsaw massacre!!!! I have been reloading for over 40 years and you just over whelmed me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The OP asked for a list of must haves if you read the post. What I posted was the list.

As far as overwhelmed, I usually have the opposite effect on others. Remember if the wimmens don't find ya handsome maybe they'll find ya handy.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Chainsaw,
Ya my bad, you listed must haves and then the optional. Most are needed in the long run, if not needed at least for convienience sake!

Thanks,
Bob
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
decoydog, I would start out with one of the starter kits by a major manufacturer, such as RCBS, Redding, Lee, Hornady, etc. Some is higher end stuff than others, but my cousin who started reloading has a Lee kit, cheapest one on the market, and his ammo goes bang and shoots into little bitty holes...out of his Stevens 200 .25-06. I like higher quality stuff, but it isn't absolutely necessary. Get the quality if you can afford it.

That said, start out with a minimum of stuff, like the starter kits provide. You don't NEED a powder measure at the beginning, a scale will do, and will teach you about scales. You'll soon want more stuff, and by then you will be competent with the starter kit, and the added purchases will complement your kit.

AT least one reloading manual is required,and two are better, If you use online resources, just make sure they are from reputable reloading firms. For example, Ramshot has its manual online. But till you have experience, stick with the proven sources.

I'd say to start, you need a press, dies/shellholder, case lube,scale, and a case trimmer. A loading block is a must, to keep your ammo upright and organized. Read the directions on your new equipment, don't try to load hot till you're experienced, and load without distractions.

If you enjoy reloading, you will soon have more stuff....powder measure, dedicated priming tool, gauges of all sorts, perhaps an electronic scale/dispenser. But to get started, you don't need all that, and too much stuff might overwhelm you.

I started with a Lee loader and a Hornady manual. Then got a Lee case trimmer and a scale, then a press, then a powder measure. But those things came in time, as I perceived the need. Good Luck!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

390 members (17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 3,329 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,576
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.