Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by 338Rules
What's a Muzzle Break ?

A Muzzle Break is what happens when you are hunting and you fall down and the muzzle goes into the mud. Later that same day, a large buck steps out and you take a shot and...

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
I successfully managed to gradigiate (sp) from High School.
GH

You just proved that you learned something while there. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
There is only one CALIBER, .25. The Cartridge it is chambered for doesn't matter.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Graduating is overrated.

Think of it, you fail a few times and get to hang around the cute young girls longer. A lot of them will think you're hot because you're an "older" guy. Of course, there's that rebel thing going for you too! It's like this: You failed. You bucked the system. You stuck it to the man! In no time, you'll be screaming, "Get me a leather jacket!!"

But there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Times change. You will get older and may not be attracted to many of the young teenies anymore. Now's the time to move on to a hot looking teacher! The good looking ones will want you because they are not much older than you. There's also the excitement of robbing the cradle. Hey man, you're lookin' good! They're less intimidating too because you've been around the block!

After eight or nine years of high school, you will have learned what many credentialed folk discovered early in their teaching careers - 'tis better to remain ensconced within the walls of Monty Hall High. Out in the real world, life can be tough!

Ah-ha! Teachers get long summer breaks, professional development days and all the holidaze off! They earn tenure and are respected by others. They easily qualify for mortgages and car loans too.

But what's that you say? You're not bright enough to earn a degree? No worries! Date an older teacher. Look for one that's a little past her prime. Make her feel young again! She'll put you in touch with the right folks and soon you'll be working as the school custodian!

I know what you're thinking, but hear me out. You'll still get those long summer breaks, professional development days and all the holidaze off too, but without all the studying, exams, etc. And you'll earn tenure. Remember, you're a union man now!

Yes, a quick roll in the hay with a forty or fifty year old English teacher can pay off big time. It really is an investment in education and your future. And just think, there are no student loans to pay back!

Just mull it over for a while and you'll see the light. That's the calibre of man they're looking for!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
DItto Steve, and nothing wrong with a older deprived woman, most are very appreciative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Graduating is overrated.

Think of it, you fail a few times and get to hang around the cute young girls longer. A lot of them will think you're hot because you're an "older" guy. Of course, there's that rebel thing going for you too! It's like this: You failed. You bucked the system. You stuck it to the man! In no time, you'll be screaming, "Get me a leather jacket!!"

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Yes, a quick roll in the hay with a forty or fifty year old English teacher can pay off big time. It really is an investment in education and your future. And just think, there are no student loans to pay back!

Bad, bad, bad advice. I've BTDT.

English teachers are batschit crazy! grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Here is a quote from an older WW Super ammo box, happens to be 300H&H but all were the same. The older "white box" ammo.
"WARNING Use only in Winchester and other standard arms in good condition designed and chambered by gun manufacturer for this caliber ammunition and so marked on the gun barrel."

So what is correct, chamber or caliber.............
Thinking about this I guess that perhaps using the same caliber ammo would cause less problems than the wrong caliber.. Or maybe not.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Fish Head,
I was in relations with 2 different teachers, both great rolls and BR aggressive, both kinda libs, BUT both controllers!! They forget to leave the "I am the teacher, you are the student" attitude at school. Very appreciative, not a finacial load, actually they bought me very nice things, but in hind site with there attitudes, most guys walked within 6 months, I did!

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Hmm. I work with words, and have learned some stuff about it over the years.

If a lot of people say "caliber" for "cartridge," then that's common usage. Someday soon caliber will probably be dictionary-listed as a synonym for cartridge.

Best description & explaination...as usual. wink

In the South, caliber & cartridge are used interchangeably and I hear caliber more often than cartridge.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Well, I don't have many conversations with you folks, but it is enjoyable. I could liken it to heading down a winding forest road with lots of interesting things to stop and ponder and plenty of little side trails. For the most part the trails run parallel and eventually reconnect with the main route, but not always and can sure take you through some strange country even if you don't get lost.

Mule Deer, I totally get the whole language evolution thing, but this isn't the same a forming a new word like "emoticon" or "guesstimate", this is erroneous improper terminology tolerated.

By the way, my vote for best Should Be A New Word goes to "ignoranus", referring to someone who is simultaneously both stupid and an a$$hole.

Ooh, look...another trail...is a shotgun still a shotgun if it has a rifled barrel?

Last edited by wind_drift; 01/14/12.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Groovy.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not that worried about it. In science, a theory has a very narrow definition, being a well-tested and generally accepted explanation of how something works. An educated guess in science is an hypothesis (should hypothesis be preceded by "an" or "a"?; to become a theory it must undergo, and be supported by, rigorous testing by many scientists.

But, when someone says "I have a theory about that" I don't get in a tither. Use the terminology myself rather loosely sometimes. Now back to my hay bailer. I will try not to be an ignoranus.

Last edited by 300_savage; 01/15/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a few that bug me:

It's 308 Winchester, not .308 Winchester;
45 Colt, not .45 Colt or Long Colt;
30-06, not .30-06;
270 Winchester, not .270 Winchester;
45-70, not .45-70 or .45/70;
and so on.

The leading decimal point does not belong in cartridge designations.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BobnRoy257_b4_Bob257AI
DItto Steve, and nothing wrong with a older deprived woman, most are very appreciative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you get to be my age, you'll want the "older deprived" women to stay that way.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Here's a few that bug me:

It's 308 Winchester, not .308 Winchester;
45 Colt, not .45 Colt or Long Colt;
30-06, not .30-06;
270 Winchester, not .270 Winchester;
45-70, not .45-70 or .45/70;
and so on.

The leading decimal point does not belong in cartridge designations.

Well, I just had to check... it seems the jury is out on this one, as every box of Weatherby ammo that I have does indeed have the caliber preceded by a decimal point. And to further confuse the situation, when I look at the stacks of boxes of UMC brass awaiting the reloading press, exactly HALF are marked 40 S&W, and the other half... you guessed it: .40 S&W. So since I've always used the decimal completely without thought, I'm in decent company if I'm wrong.

Oops... did I just use "caliber" incorrectly? laugh whistle

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

"Normal" isn't coming back; Jesus is!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As P. T. Barnum may have said to his Ringmaster after watching the Human Cannonball make another successful flight across the arena into a net, "Where do we find men of such caliber?"

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by fish head

However, 30-06 caliber bugs the schit out of me.

Fish however - .308 CALIBER is correct & commonly used. whistle smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
One of the basics is that all modern languages are living things. They change all the time, the reason dictionaries change--because dictionaries aren't derived from a panel of experts, but by "common usage." If a lot of people say "caliber" for "cartridge," then that's common usage. Someday soon caliber will probably be dictionary-listed as a synonym for cartridge.

I can't imagine Ken Howell or any other gun writer writing a book called

"Designing and Forming Custom Calibers" or "Calibers of the World"

It would only show extreme ignorance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
boolit

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 34 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,862
Posts18,478,591
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.