Print Thread
Hop To
C
Cross Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I'm investigating a location to hunt hogs near Houston. There are many places on the internet and a few horror stories about being, basically, held up upon arrival, or, upon shooting a hog. Does anyone have a recommendation for a ranch or outfitter that will treat you fairly with a reasonable expectation for success for a decent price? I'm thinking $100 to $200 per day and more than one hog would be nice but really isn't necessary.

Accommodations aren't really necessary, I don't mind driving someplace else to sleep and I don't really need much help beyond showing me around and telling me the rules. What about night hunting? Is it necessary to have a reasonable expectation for success?

Thanks for any advice or input and feel free to PM me if you don't want to post.

CRoss

GB1

C
Cross Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Ping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cross - I'd be interested in what you find out buddy. I'm between Lake Charles and Houston often.

So far, I've found better (more pigs and bigger pigs) hog hunts in Louisiana. It's a bit further North, but the Columbia, La area has especially nice hog hunting and it's also nice if you want to fill the freezer with a big meat hog.

C
Cross Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks petr. I'm sure I could make it to La if need be. My cousin is in Houston and I was going to travel there to hunt hogs with him. I specified near Houston because TX is just so damn big! I'll investigate Louisiana.

Do you have a name or an outfitter you could recommend?

Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Land of Lakes has a good reputation. That's a 3 hour drive fm Houston. http://www.landoflakesplantation.com/html/hoghunting.html

Ville Platte area has a couple of reputable outfits.

The other area I'd be looking hard at is the kirbyville, tx area North of H. Lots of wild hogs in that area.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Call the local game wardens for 50-100 miles around and see what they offer you. I'd be willing to bet you'll be real happy with the results.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These took place about 50 miles west of Houston, and the price is more than fair.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
md

Do you have a site for this hog hunting locale?

I was looking at this one:
http://hoghunting2011.com/ The Main Lodge Ranch anyone have any information about this ranch?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a standing hunt, but I can't pass it on to anyone else. That example you provided could be grand, but there are others, and the game wardens deal with many of them, one way or another. I have a tendency to focus on critters between 75 and 125 lb females, at least until I get the first half a dozen cut and frozen.

If you can put a two to six-sized group with at least some of them "older", you tend to get good support locally. Farmers and ranchers down there definitely want to reduce the number of pigs.

Good luck; have fun!

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks md.

I am planning to hunt with my 2 adult sons and I would definitely be the older variety of hunter.

Last edited by Prwlr; 01/20/12.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Google "tx hog hunting". You'll be reading for awhile.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (Akhutr, beefan, 358wsm, 2500HD, bosshoff, 12 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.