Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I have a Stihl 046 Chain Saw for sale. I have ran stihl mix oil in it since it was new. I have been running 25:1 ratio on the fuel mix. Its had Stihl oil ran for the bar oil since new. it has had a 18 inch bar on it since new so the saw has never been over worked. Saw has tons of compression. Runs like a screaming demon and will flat cut threw anything you put it in. And will do it quick fast and in a hurry. It comes with 5 new chains that are professional chains not safety chain. This is one heck of a set up. for someone wanting a helll of a saw. This saw new now runs just over a grand. I'm selling mine for 550.00 shipped TYD. Again this is the pro line of saws. Only reason I'm getting rid of it is I moved back to town and and no longer have a wood burner so now I don't have to cut wood. I'm looking for a high end scope for a rifle I just bought. I would do some trading let me know what ya got and we will see what we can get done.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
How old is the saw?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
25:1? Just so you know, running too much oil is as bad as not running enough oil. These engines are designed to run at 50:1 for a reason.

That being said, please post some pics and let us know how much use this thing has had.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have worked on saws for 18 years i have never seen a cyl wall scored from 25:1 i have seen it with 50:1 so that's BS. i have rebuilt several ms460 same as the 046 except the ms460 has a muffle that chokes them way down. I have rebuilt several 066 all the same guys saws. he runs 50:1 so i will dispute this all day long. I guarantee ya 25:1 will not and can not hirt a saw. I also have one i bought new. I would put a compression gauge on it and one that's ran 50:1 as much as my saw has ran and lay a 100.00 bill on the table mine will have more compression then the 50:1 saw. Plus i would go past that and bet im right darn close to what a new saw has that has been broke in. Running 25:1 will just make her smoke a little but with the stihl low smoke oil they dont. with 50:1 they do cut a little better buts its so very little 99% of the people will not notice it. if anyone has any questions let me know and i will answer them. I certified in john deere,hustler,kawi,honda shindaiwa equpiment. By the way what ratio does stihl tell ya to run on a brand new saw for the first tank? I can tell ya 25:1 for break in. Now if 25:1 is hard on saws the factory is not going to run it on a saw that cost over a grand when its under warranty. There is a reason they say 50:1 mix thats so your buying a new piston and jug set in a year or two if you use it much.

Last edited by deerhunterjj; 12/18/11.

WANT TO BUY 22-250 AI BRASS PM ME WITH WHAT YA GOT AND HOW MUCH THANKS.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
It is a 5-6 year old

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
BTT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deerhunterjj
I have worked on saws for 18 years i have never seen a cyl wall scored from 25:1 i have seen it with 50:1 so that's BS. i have rebuilt several ms460 same as the 046 except the ms460 has a muffle that chokes them way down. I have rebuilt several 066 all the same guys saws. he runs 50:1 so i will dispute this all day long. I guarantee ya 25:1 will not and can not hirt a saw. I also have one i bought new. I would put a compression gauge on it and one that's ran 50:1 as much as my saw has ran and lay a 100.00 bill on the table mine will have more compression then the 50:1 saw. Plus i would go past that and bet im right darn close to what a new saw has that has been broke in. Running 25:1 will just make her smoke a little but with the stihl low smoke oil they dont. with 50:1 they do cut a little better buts its so very little 99% of the people will not notice it. if anyone has any questions let me know and i will answer them. I certified in john deere,hustler,kawi,honda shindaiwa equpiment. By the way what ratio does stihl tell ya to run on a brand new saw for the first tank? I can tell ya 25:1 for break in. Now if 25:1 is hard on saws the factory is not going to run it on a saw that cost over a grand when its under warranty. There is a reason they say 50:1 mix thats so your buying a new piston and jug set in a year or two if you use it much.

Fortunately, you will never be working on my engines. You have made statements about observations you have made with no correlation to cause and effect. Scored cylinders from 50:1 mix, or scored cylinders in saws that were running 50:1 mix? There is a difference.

18 whole years? From that perspective new saws have always had electronic ignition, automatic oilers, clutches and resistor plugs. How about using TC-W 2-stroke oil in an air cooled engine? Keep those certifications up to date, they seem to hold value to you.

Sorry SouthPawShooter73.

Bump for a good saw at a good price.

Last edited by mtmisfit; 12/18/11.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I do believe the book for my farm boss says to run it at 40:1

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let me tell ya something MTM i can and will hold my own with any one on small engine repair. Its guys like you that keeps the shops full keep running that 50:1 i can give a chit less. I have rebuilt or should i say rebuilt the top end from several guys running 50:1 oil mix. And on more then one they were running quality oil. The others dont know and dont care. It matters more so on the bigger saws. And by the way the certs i dont give a chit about neither. Had to get them to do warranty work.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I sure don't care to stick my fotin the middle of a pissing match, but run Stihl saws. I don't think that running 25:1 will hurt anything, but Stihl recommends running 50:1 with their oil, and 25:1 with any others. I seem to remember mention of it being due to their proprietary formulation. I could be wrong...that is just what I remember reading...

YMMV, FWIW....yadda, yadda, yadda...

Does this count as a post outside of the classifieds? It isn't related to the sale, directly...

Bump for a great saw, at a steal of a price. There is a hundred bucks worth of chains here... and a thousand dollar saw...wish I needed it.

Good luck with your sale.

Larry

IC B3

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
It is amazing to me that 2 fellow piston heads can get so cranked up about 2 stroke mixtures. The majority of the problem with any engine (2 0r 4 stroke) lies not in the oil, but the gasoline. What octane rating is used? How much ethanol is in it? How old is the fuel? What altitude do you use the engine in?......The stories and questions can and will go on forever.

The bottom line is if it works for you,......GREAT! Put a gold star on your calender!

There are thousands of engine designers yanking their hair out trying to keep up with the substandard fuels we have today.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
What is the bar length & horsepower?
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mark to answer your question 76cc 6hp and southpaws has an 18 inch bar on it.

VarmintV you are 100% correct. fuel is so piss poor any more it causes a lot of issues. That and EPA regs on 2 and even 4 cycle. for that matter its a wonder anything runs at all.

I also want to apologize to the fellow i jumped on. And the rest of the fire for being an azz. With out a lot of detail. I devoted my life to working on small engine equipment. Had a shop for 12 plus years my dad died we closed it. I went to JD dealership for 5 years got hurt. Had back surgery 4 years ago doctors screwed me up worse. Now im on disability and it sucks. I guess i got fired up on the 25:1 post im sorry for coming off like a Prick. have a good one fellows.

Last edited by deerhunterjj; 12/19/11.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
PM sent

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
So do I hear an "I'll take it! LOL

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heres pictures of the saw for southpaw. The pictures dont do justice. But none the less heres what she looks like.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by deerhunterjj; 12/20/11.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How much to ship to 82435?? What is involved in tuning it to run at 6000'??

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
All you would need to do is adjust the carb and lean it down a little.As far as shipping goes it will probably run around $50.00 to ship I would think.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

I run a Stihl 460 (successor to the 046). It's a screamer. You can't beat it if you intend to cut a lot of wood.... in a short period of time.

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'd be willing to trade or work something out here is what I have.

Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 matte, boone and crocket reticle new condition never mounted.
Leupold VXII 3x9 40 matte mounted once and used on a .22wmr rifle 99%
Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x20 98%
Unertl 10x Vulture cerakoted matte black mint
pm me if interested.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (2500HD, 22250rem, 12savage, 1badf350, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 50 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,293
Posts18,505,293
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.