Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Well, it's not legal in Colorado. That should tell you that not everybody thinks it's a good caliber for big game.

Myself included.

I've shot deer and elk with a 30-30...

[color:#3333FF]Federal 30-30 ammo loaded[/color][/b] up with 170 gr. Nosler Partitions produces [b]1800 ft-lbs..

[color:#3333FF]Winchester 22-250 ammo loaded[/color][/b] up with 55 gr. PSP's produces [b]1654 ft-lbs...

146 ft-lbs difference....

I guess it's good that deer and elk can't do math, otherwise you boys posting pics of dead animals would have never killed em....

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Eyeballs trailing dogs wouldn't get much "training" following up the deer I've shot with my .22 centerfires.
Most I have shot with a 223 and 55 gr sp run close to a hundred. The dog is a GSP and great on quail but since I archery hunt I want a dog which could possibly find me a poorly hit deer. I have been bit by Murphys law on more than one occasion. Last year she trailed up the first muley buck by a ranchers grandson and earned me the right to hunting on a ranch money can't buy.
I would say that this has been the exact same experience I've had with my .300Sav.

Maybe I need a bigger gun.... tired

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Having killed deer with everything from .22 rimfires to .30-06's and 12 gauge slugs, I absolutely don't "expect" them to drop instantly from lung shots with anything. On the other hand, there's not a bit of doubt that I've gotten a higher percentage of instant drops with the faster smallbore's using bullets that tend toward rapid expansion/fragmentation than with the bigger, slower, more stoutly constructed projectiles. What's more "expected" {by me at least} is for a lung shot deer to run 40-60 yards before falling over, regardless of what they've been shot with. Some a bit less, and some more of course, but barring the rare extremes, the 40-60 dash is the norm and I haven't found that to vary to any significant degree regardless of whether they were poked with a 50 gr bullet from a .222, a 180 from a .30-06 or a 500+ gr. 12 gauge slug..

Politically, I think you're a loon. As far as an outdoors man though, your experience speaks for itself. Either way, you'd be more than welcome in sharing a campfire with me anyday. This post sums up this whole debate perfectly.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Well, it's not legal in Colorado. That should tell you that not everybody thinks it's a good caliber for big game.

Myself included.

I've shot deer and elk with a 30-30...

[color:#3333FF]Federal 30-30 ammo loaded[/color][/b] up with 170 gr. Nosler Partitions produces [b]1800 ft-lbs..

[color:#3333FF]Winchester 22-250 ammo loaded[/color][/b] up with 55 gr. PSP's produces [b]1654 ft-lbs...

146 ft-lbs difference....

I guess it's good that deer and elk can't do math, otherwise you boys posting pics of dead animals would have never killed em....

I've killed many elk with that old Winchester 94. How many do you have with your .22?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot....

Answer me this, how many big game animals have you seen taken with .22 centerfire rifles?

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Lots of coyotes. We can't hunt big game here with .22's.

I probably wouldn't hunt deer with a .22 anyway. I always hunt timber, and don't need a flat shooting small bullet for big game.

I thought I was done with this thread. I ALREADY said more than once the .22-250 will kill deer, but I keep getting quoted over and over for something I said earlier in the thread.

I give up. Quote me all you want. I'm done with this thread. Little bullet shooters seem to have to prove something. Sort of like short guys.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My 9 yo has also killed a few deer with my 338 RUM. Which one should he choose? At 6 and 9, I really dont think they have anything to prove.

Toby Joe

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Politically, I think you're a loon. As far as an outdoors man though, your experience speaks for itself. Either way, you'd be more than welcome in sharing a campfire with me anyday. This post sums up this whole debate perfectly.
Why thank you sir ! Politcal differences aside, I'm sure sharing a campfire with you would be an enjoyable experience.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I probably wouldn't hunt deer with a .22 anyway. I always hunt timber, and don't need a flat shooting small bullet for big game.

I thought I was done with this thread. I ALREADY said more than once the .22-250 will kill deer, but I keep getting quoted over and over for something I said earlier in the thread.

I give up. Quote me all you want. I'm done with this thread. Little bullet shooters seem to have to prove something. Sort of like short guys.

I'm 6' 1". Keep guessing. I find it very entertaining. The OP asked for advice from people with EXPEIENCE....it's obvious you have none.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy hunts deer and predators both with his .22-250.
And he shoots it very well.

I butchered his buck last year and cannot see ANY living deer surving the wound created by that little bullet.
I was impressed.

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

I'm 6' 1". Keep guessing. I find it very entertaining. The OP asked for advice from people with EXPEIENCE....it's obvious you have none.

[Linked Image]

+1

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Salmonella
My buddy hunts deer and predators both with his .22-250.
And he shoots it very well.

I butchered his buck last year and cannot see ANY living deer surving the wound created by that little bullet.
I was impressed.

good you had an opportunity to see firsthand the innards of that deer--

i've used .22 centerfire for deer since around about 1973 onward. when i was a teenager, my goal was to get eveybody i knew to use them--yeah, there was some .22 passion there--but today, now that i've wised up some--i figure each guy should do his own research, and subsequently be persuaded in his own mind.

.22 centerfire are top notch on deer, and will shoot length-ways through a deer--if need be...

shot placement behind the shoulder is good meds for deer--but in the event a shoulder is hit--typically, the deer will be stoned right on the spot--thoroughly "ash-canned".

though i've mentioned this before, you can shoot 55 grain pills right through 1/2 thick steel plate at 100, through 3/8 thick boilerplate at 300, nearly cut railroad spikes in two at 100, or, as i demonstrated for a friend last summer; i shot a rock at 150 yards that was about the size of a canteloupe--and it was completely chunked into small pieces--and the fellow who videoed that shot was in disbelief--even though he had seen it. he wasn't opinionated, he just hadn't seen what a small pill at high velocity will do when it strikes something very solid...

back in 1973 i argued countless hours with a very experienced hunter--but he couldn't accept the .22 centerfires for game--he remained non-plussed and continues to this day to whack his deer with a 300 win mag. when i say experienced, he was very skilled and experienced, (he was also the chap who got me started handloading back in 1972), but he has a very closed mind to this topic--and not only a closed mind--but he formulated all of his statements concerning this matter on personal opinion, not actual experience.

a guy has to do his own research/testing, and after that if he convinced, he should go forth and employ same in his hunting--then and only then can he use this personal experience to convey to others those actual results based upon his own, real world field experience.

the .22-250 is a favorite cartridge--but if i were 15 years old and starting all over today--i would buy a 243 or 6mm rem, for with the propellants and projectiles available today--58 gr, 65 gr, 70 gr, etc., they can do all a .22-250 can do, and far more--and you get the added benefit that if you're in a state where .22 centerfire isn't welcome--you're still good to go--a win/win...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And I'm 6'1" as well and I'm pretty sure that Ingwe has a couple on the both of us.

Swing and a miss... cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fotis
I feel a .243 is a better choice.

I agree, the 243 is a better choice for big game and the minimum here in Wyoming......

Back a few years on a Wyo lope hunt I happened into the G Warden a couple times. Asked him what he liked to use, he had a couple rifles. But, preferred the Swift to all as he felt it ended things quicker than the other big rifles...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

And I'm 6'1" as well and I'm pretty sure that Ingwe has a couple on the both of us.

Swing and a miss... cool

Dober

I didn't miss at all. Read what I said again. I never said anybody was short. I said guys who shoot small bullets have something to prove. Just like short men.

Swing and hit is more like it. You all giving your heights proved me right.

Ok, now i'm done, because I know you guys have nothing for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Swing and a miss... cool

Dober

man, i'm sorry you guys are so short... LOL

i'm 6'5" 290... and fully capable of shooting gophers with my LOTT... The 22 cal's work and are just fun to shoot...

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot....

Answer me this, how many big game animals have you seen taken with .22 centerfire rifles?

Not asking about coyotes....big game animals. How many?

[Linked Image]
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Swing and a miss... cool

Dober

Geez, I'm only 6'0" so I guess I have more to prove. Thats why I use a .223... laugh

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fotis
I feel a .243 is a better choice.

I agree, the 243 is a better choice for big game and the minimum here in Wyoming......

Back a few years on a Wyo lope hunt I happened into the G Warden a couple times. Asked him what he liked to use, he had a couple rifles. But, preferred the Swift to all as he felt it ended things quicker than the other big rifles...grin

Dober
One that checked me this year in WY was carrying a 204 Ruger. Said he didn't want exits and that it put them down pronto! We had a good chuckle about him being able to use it and that I couldn't.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, I just have one question. Ingwe, how old were you in the photo??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,472
Posts18,471,452
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.