Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eyeball
But, neck or body, please, with regards to the hp.?

[Linked Image]

This is the last buck I shot with my swift(2009). Broadside, behind the shoulder with a 52 Sierra.....it went completely through. The buck in my avatar was shot with the same rifle and a 55gr Hornady.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Dayom. I drill whitetail bucks and does behind the shoulder with a 30-30 or 270 wby mag and they run off. If I hit them in the shoulder they often go down right there.
I've had more drop instantly from .22 cal. "varmint" bullets through the lungs {.222, .223 and .22-250} than with .30 cal. bullets through the lungs {.30-30, .308 and .30-06} and I've shot more deer with the .30's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonderful pic, gotta love the Cheesy Rider grin...grins

Only true Booner I was ever around and in on the demise of took it on the chin via my Buds Swifto and a 52 Sierra.

55 Horn w/c is one of my all time favs as well. Could easily use it for all that moves in my 22's.

Side note, my 2 yr old G-son just got up and looked at your post and said "a deer"...then pointed his finger and said bang (gotta love it)

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Mark, may I ask, chest or neck with the 52 gr hp? When the 50 gr hps and 55gr sp don't exit a coyote chest cavity I have to wonder at the penetration capability of each.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Thanks Scenar. I know what a 60 gr npartition will do through the heart or both lungs. I am wondering what a 50 gr hp would do and I am wondering if it hit a rib, what are the chances it got one or two lungs. Thanks. I'm thinking it was a sierra bullet re the big buck shot last year.

Last edited by eyeball; 01/15/12.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I recall right, 200 yds broadside behind the front left and exited the front right.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 60 Horn sp and hp have been very good to us as well.

Of all the game I've been around taken I've only recovered 4 slugs. A 55 NBT that went thru both fronts and was about to exit the muley doe from hell, she was huge. Then I also recovered four 53 TSX's. Two out of the 223 and two out of the 22/250.

Dober

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
The 60 Horn sp and hp have been very good to us as well.

Of all the game I've been around taken I've only recovered 4 slugs. A 55 NBT that went thru both fronts and was about to exit the muley doe from hell, she was huge. Then I also recovered four 53 TSX's. Two out of the 223 and two out of the 22/250.

Dober
I seem to recover alot more .22 cal. slugs from deer than you. Maybe because of the shorter distances I usually shoot them ? Never had one of the 50 gr. Nos. expanders go through a deer {out of 5 killed} but always found the completely empty jackets just under the hide on the offside. The 55 Horns out of my .223 seem to exit about half the time depending on the size of the deer, angle, range and what get's hit {shoulders, ribs}. I put one of the 55 Horns through both shoulder blades of a big doe from 80 yds. this past season and found a nicely mushroomed slug with core still intact up against the hide on the far side. Shot another behind the shoulders from 30 yards. Hit a rib going in and trashed the lungs but all I found of that bullet was a badly mangled jacket stuck in the meat between ribs on the far side. Not a trace of lead remained with the jacket. Shot a buck between the eyes from 10 yds. a few years back with a 52 Sierra hp {.223}. The whole top of his skull was shattered and his eyes popped out of the sockets but the slug never made it out the back of his head. And so it goes.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
PS Scenar- SOB. great deer. Also thanks to you both. BH, I have shot many does in the chest behind the shoulder with a 55 gr sp in 223 or 22-250 or with a 90 gr scirocco,243 to put my GSP on the trail to train her for deer recovery and have never seen these relatively small deer drop at the shot. over the last few years I have probably shot 20 does in the ribs without one having fall at the shot.. I make roasts of the shoulders so I shoot for the ribs tight to the shoulder. With a bow, many fall at the shot due to their quickness letting them drop and catching an arrow in the spine.

Last edited by eyeball; 01/15/12.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Having killed deer with everything from .22 rimfires to .30-06's and 12 gauge slugs, I absolutely don't "expect" them to drop instantly from lung shots with anything. On the other hand, there's not a bit of doubt that I've gotten a higher percentage of instant drops with the faster smallbore's using bullets that tend toward rapid expansion/fragmentation than with the bigger, slower, more stoutly constructed projectiles. What's more "expected" {by me at least} is for a lung shot deer to run 40-60 yards before falling over, regardless of what they've been shot with. Some a bit less, and some more of course, but barring the rare extremes, the 40-60 dash is the norm and I haven't found that to vary to any significant degree regardless of whether they were poked with a 50 gr bullet from a .222, a 180 from a .30-06 or a 500+ gr. 12 gauge slug..

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
You are making wayyyy too much sense for some of these guys around here.... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Dayom. I drill whitetail bucks and does behind the shoulder with a 30-30 or 270 wby mag and they run off. If I hit them in the shoulder they often go down right there.
I've had more drop instantly from .22 cal. "varmint" bullets through the lungs {.222, .223 and .22-250} than with .30 cal. bullets through the lungs {.30-30, .308 and .30-06} and I've shot more deer with the .30's.
Sorry Ingwe, I thought I had been informed of 22 cal. DRT lung hits. I guess I'm just slow.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Talk about slow...I must be behind you..I'm missing something....again... crazy

I guess I should actually read some of this stuff before I post....

Nawwwwwww....! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
What are you having trouble understanding ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

A mule deer buck I killed 32 years ago with my Sako .220 swift when it still had some varnish on the stock. I shot from the pine ridge in the background. I don't remember what bullet it was, but do remember the buck running about 30 yards before tipping over after a broadside, behind the shoulder shot.

Doesn't look like I was wearing out many razors back then......grin!

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Eyeballs trailing dogs wouldn't get much "training" following up the deer I've shot with my .22 centerfires.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

A mule deer buck I killed 32 years ago with my Sako .220 swift when it still had some varnish on the stock. I shot from the pine ridge in the background. I don't remember what bullet it was, but do remember the buck running about 30 yards before tipping over after a broadside, behind the shoulder shot.

You even did it without wearing $800 worth of camo too. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

that rig even had the gianormous redfield 6-18 x variable on deck back then...

who got you using them thar worthless little cartridges/pills on deer anyhow?

the last bambi i tried to shoot with my swift was hit right amid ships--and it didn't squeal, squawk, ruck up, or nuthin--but jes wandered off, like it was untouched--but no sir, i hit 'em good--if only i'd had my thutty thutty, things been different fer sure--but i leart my lesson--them little things are even too weak fer chucks.

jes ask any internet pilgrim who knows...

wen you gots a thutty thutty, you don't need lots a riflesz, much less a little teeny swift...

ya better git yerself one a them thar big mangrums--or a thutty thutty...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

This one from 21 years ago...same rifle just a few more whiskers on my face.......laffin'. More fancy camo.

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
i got it figgured out now--that there rifle only says swift on the barrel--but it gots a thutty calibur sized hole in that there muzzle--i jes know it fer sure...!

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,857
Posts18,497,090
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.