Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tour operator: Not me unfortunately
Dates of travel: 2 January � 18 January
Places visited: South Africa, Namibia and Botswana
Travel companions: Spanish
Complications: Language barriers, humor (lack of)
Vehicle: VW Amarok 2,0 l bi-turbo diesel 4 X 4 crew cab
Accommodation: mixed: luxury and camping
Distance covered: Almost 7 000 km�s (about 4 200 miles)
Average daily temperature: 39 C (102 deg F)
Coldest midday temperature: 38 C (100 deg F)
Hottest midday temperature: 46 C (115 deg F)

Setting off from Pretoria we headed out West to the South African town of Upington. This took the whole day as we covered just more than 500 miles. The following day we visited the Augrabies (Place of noise) National Park. This is a harsh land.

Off to Namibia and the Fish River Canyon. This is the second largest canyon in the world after the Grand Canyon. Third largest is the Blyde River Canyon in South Africa, and those of you who have traveled with me have seen it. The Fish River Canyon took my breath away and made me feel small and humble. It was breath taking and I still do not have words to describe it. When I flew to Vegas I was on the wrong side of the plane, and when flying back I was on the wrong side again to see the Grand Canyon! Well, it gives me something to go back for, and I will yet. Sleeping in a tent was not fun, but a few Castles made me feel better.

[Linked Image]
Above: The Fish River Canyon

We spent a night in a vacation resort after that, but that was just another vacation resort as far as I am concerned. We moved to the southern parts of Namibia and paid a visit to the coastal town of Luderitz. Amazing little town is all I can say with it�s own ghost town on the outskirts. Some wild horses and a number of gemsbok on the way made the road more bearable.

[Linked Image]
Above: Between somewhere and nowhere we did some 4-wheel driving and had great views. Below is the Orange River.

After this we visited the Namib desert. Speechless is all I can say. Early morning we climbed to the top of a dune and looked, and looked and looked. Sunrise was incredible!

[Linked Image]
Above: Sunrise in the Namib desert. Note the hot air balloon and the gemsbok feeding in the background.

[Linked Image]
Above: For scale, see the people walking on the dune roughly in the center of the picture.

Away we went visiting a few other less known and less interesting places until we made it to the Kgalagadi Trans-frontier Park, jointly owned by South Africa and Botswana. Totally different to Kruger Park as the game species are limited mainly to lion, leopard, cheetah, blue wildebeest, gemsbok and springbok. And I mean a lot of gemsbok and springbok. We saw lion on 4 of the 5 days we were there, and cheetah twice. One night the camp manager called to come and see the brown hyena drinking. The tourists were apprehensive about getting closer, but heck, when would I have another opportunity? I crept up on it till about 10 ft from it and started taking pictures. It was great, far better than the quality of the pictures but man I was impressed.

[Linked Image]
Above: The well equipped vehicle.

[Linked Image]
Above: A desperate visit to the restroom was avoided!

[img]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/PieterKriel/6-3.jpg[/img]
Above: The yawning lion. I have the whole sequence from when he started opening his mouth till he closed it again.

One night while in the Kgalagadi a lion roared so close to my tent it almost felt like the tent was moving. I slept very well after that.

[img]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/PieterKriel/5-4.jpg[/img]
Above: Full moon in the Kgalagadi. That's how I could see the lioness walking past my hut.

Sitting in a blind at a water hole we had an amorous lion couple visit the water. Their departure caused a lot of animals running; almost like the lions were looking at the fast food menu! However, they had other ideas in mind. After 5 days in the park with very limited roads, I had had enough. Three days will be enough to visit this park. The more remote parks do not have electricity (ie, no ac, no fans no nothing). One night a lioness walked right past my hut, about 6 feet from where I was sitting. If someone says they stayed still because they knew what to do they are talking nonsense. It�s because you are scared out of breath (there are other ways of describing a situation like this). I was armed only with a binocular in the full moon.

[img]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/PieterKriel/9.jpg[/img]
Above: The amorous lion couple.

[img]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/PieterKriel/10-2.jpg[/img]
Above: The brown hyena mentioned

From there we headed out to the Kalahari known as the Molopo. In the Molopo Nature Reserve we camped again where it was not only remote, but also with no electricity or hot water. The vehicle was extremely well equipped with two roof-top tents and a separate battery that powers the fridge and freezer. I dearly missed an ice making machine.

To anyone planning a similar trip anywhere in the world, remember to allow a day or two for resting. We were busy from about 8am to about 9pm every day. Of course I was up way earlier than that as I cannot sleep later than 5am and I had to braai dinner almost every night. Help was at hand and welcomed on most occasions.

Hope you enjoy some of the pictures as I had a ball with the camera. I took more than 2 000 pictures ending up with more than 14 Gb worth of space on the laptop. Can you believe none of the tourists had a camera??

I have seen some of my pictures on other websites so I have decided to put my address on the pictures to try and stop people copying them. Hope you understand.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, this thread is going in my "watched threads"

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
aaaahhhh!!! CASTLE! I know what you mean. HAVING ONE RIGHT NOW.

sa beer, where would the world be without it?

the rest is simply imitations

Last edited by LT_DAN; 01/19/12.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Very cool photos and narrative.

Love to see some of those places, Fish Canyon looked WAY cool.

Can't wait to get back to Africa in June.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pieter, think back to the first Kruger trip we made. The lions growls were vibrating and moving the glasses on the table next to the bed. I had to get the bats out of the room too.

Those two young girls touring with us were so excited to hear the lions and hyenas, and we were thinking we would not get any sleep that night!

A fine line between exciting and annoying!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for sharing, we can buy Castle in Calgary. GRF

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Pieter, awesome pics! Post more, if ya got em! It's been 6 mos., and I'm missing Africa bad!

maddog

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes Jim, it got bad when the hippo's decided to grunt also.

Below are the final round of pics.

[Linked Image]
Above: This is not a complaint as I love the Afrikaans language a lot. Funny though that after 18 years the old name of Namibia (South West Africa) is still on the road sign. Namibia got it�s independence even before we did which makes this sign even older than 18 years.

[Linked Image]
Above: Huge nests of the sociable weaver birds can be seen everywhere. This one is about half the size of our truck.

[Linked Image]
Above: Close to the Richtersveld just before entering Namibia.

[Linked Image]
Above: I fell in love with the Namib and took too many pictures of all the sand I could see.

[Linked Image]
Above: Namibia is full of very long straight roads. We measured the one road at 17 km�s (10 miles). Fortunately the truck has cruise control so I did not have to worry about keeping to speed limits also. This allowed me to look around and admire the scenery.

[Linked Image]
Above: Some of the wild horses we saw on reservation land.

[img]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/PieterKriel/c.jpg[/img]
Above: This particular lion seemed very sick. He was as skinny as a snake with his ribs showing from A � Z, but he was going out with a full belly. They were feeding on a giraffe and walked the few hundred yards to the water every time they had to take a drink.

[img]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/PieterKriel/g.jpg[/img]
Above: An eagle we encountered. I still have to identify it. Birds and stars are not my good points.

[img]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/PieterKriel/e.jpg[/img]
Above: At least I can say it�s an owl. Will try to find out which one.

[img]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/PieterKriel/d.jpg[/img]
Above: The fast food menu. The lion and lioness were not interested in food. Apart from the wildebeest there are a few springbok making a fast retreat.

That�s it, I was happy to share and I hope you enjoyed it with me.

Pieter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for sharing Pieter.

I fully understand you having to mark your photos, it is just a shame that you need to.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great report, but the photos in your first post have been removed by photobucket for some reason.

Glad you had a wonderful time.

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, you take some very nice photos and put it together very well.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Excellent report.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mighty nice of the government to put up signs showing where the Springbok and the puff adders can be found. grin

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 160user, 12344mag, 219DW, 58 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,149
Posts18,502,810
Members73,991
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.