Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hi All...Looking for comments and feedback on Nosler Rifles...doesn't seem to be much here...does anyone have one and would care to comment..?? AM seriously considering the Trophy Grade in 30/06...
Thanks..
Pete

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi Sargeny1,

I received a Nosler M-48 in .30-06 in 2010 with the NRA discount as a Christmas gift which was way cool. Right out of the box I didn�t like the stock, just didn�t fit right for me and I thought it was way too slick. Ultimately I ended up re-stocking it out of the synthetic Bell & Carlson and into a fitted to me laminated one (I am having it checkered at the end of the month) which immensely improved the fit/handling of the rifle.

Here are a couple of pictures:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

As for the rifle�s performance, I found the rifle VERY finicky and a bit too inconsistent accuracy-wise for my tastes even after re-stocking, glass bedding, and so forth. Don�t get me wrong, it made the Nosler three shot MOA accuracy guarantee with their ammo as delivered (after breaking in, etc) on most days�. On that note, be advised, the factory 24� Pac-Nor barrel contour is approximately .605� at the muzzle so it is a noodle which I think may have been some of the issues surrounding routine accuracy potential.

Anyways, at this point I consider myself committed to the rifle so in pursuit of more dependable accuracy (admittedly at expense of weight) I just had it re-barreled by Benchmark Barrels with a much heavier #4 contour barrel (still in .30-06). As I write this my gunsmith is fitting the re-barreled action back into its laminate stock.

Some other Nosler FYIs for you:

� It uses two-piece Rem 700 bases only; one piece will not work due to the lengthened spacing of the action�s scope base holes

� The action design is similar to the Howa 1500 but uses an action mounted bolt release lever and it has the Rem 700 receiver thread pitch (16 TPI/V thread) and not some goofy metric stuff (like the Howa)

� The action stock inlet is loosely based on a Howa 1500 type but the action screw spacing is further apart so any re-stocking options are very limited

� The action is very smooth to operate with the rifle chambering and ejecting like my Tikka

� With the barrel removed Benchmark noted the action was true and bolt lugs were bearing evenly which is a plus

� The Rifle Basix trigger feels good (although as received it was a bit heavier than specified and I had to adjust it)

� Cerakote finish was nicely applied and the bottom metal (I believe PTG made) is classy but substantial (heavy)

In conclusion, if this rifle was not a gift I probably would have sold it.

Hope this info proves useful � aim straight!

J.R.

"Put your trust in God, but keep your powder dry"--Oliver Cromwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Nosler custom 48. The stock was made by NULA but was not near tye quality. Did not feel as grippy either, compared to the 24. It also mis-fed every now & then.

It was superbly balanced, cerakote steel, outstanding trigger, slick & it was one of my best EVER rifles in terms of accuracy(bugs).
But I would not buy another.......

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmm.

Hate to hear these rifles aren't top shelf. Was thinking about getting a TGR instead of a Cooper Jackson Hunter.

Looks like the Cooper is back in the running.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I couldnt get my .308 TGR to shoot worth a darn. Tried many combinations of reloads and factory, and nothing shot 2 my satisfaction, or to what I feel like a 1300 dollar gun should! It was prob a bedding issue, but I was agrivated with the gun, so I traded it back 2 the gun shop that sold it 2 me. I also have a Cooper Jackson Hunter, like JohnMoses is considering, and they are twice the gun of the Nosler! IMO

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Fotis. Great reading pard.

JM

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That is good to know about the Nosler...thank you for postiong this. I had a similar issue w/ an HS Precision. It now wears a Brux bbl and it is a consistant 3/4" shooter w/ 168gr TTSX's (the only bullet I tried).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you follow the links Fotis provided there is a lot of positive feedback from other owners.

Maybe help balance out the picture here some. I was impressed with how involved the Nosler reps were after the rifles were sold.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought one of the very first short action .308's. I sent it back 3 times for feeding issues and I know that my suggestions and complaints found their way into future rifles. I was pretty frustrated that I had bought yet another gun kit, but with an extra digit in the price.

But, they made the gun right and it was and still is a laser with Ballistic tips and Varget.

Right now I have a hard time imagining a more perfect rifle for the whitetail hunting I do.

It is super easy to shoot, with a great trigger, which I adjusted a tad lighter, and great balance. People say they wish it was lighter, but I might buy another one if I could get the same barrel profile on smaller calibers.

Something that anyone with accuracy problems should try is to put low strength, purple Loctite on the action screws. The Cerakote on the screw threads allows the loss of the initial torque quite quickly. I had an experience where one range session the gun was a laser and the next where I was shooting 12" groups at 300 yds. I was thinking the gun really was a turd. When I got home I found the action screws were not as tight as they had been. Out with the Loctite and back to the range. I have never had a problem since and once per year I reapply the Loctite when I thoroughly clean the gun.

I would buy another one with confidence.

Last edited by spr1; 01/21/12.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (117LBS, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 264mag, 22 invisible), 14,824 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,334
Posts18,546,198
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.