Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'd like some info from those with experience. I didn't think too much of it when it came out because it didn't seem to be quite as powerful when handloaded, as the 32-20, which we already had. I did though, think it came in some awfully cool little pistols. The Single Six is always good. These seem pretty high now. The H&R's seemed good too. Surprisingly, I've never seen too many of the latter. Well...either brand, but the H&R's seem especially scarce. The attraction of a centerfire cartridge in a little .22 sized gun has always enticed me for some reason.

Well, I've got one spotted for a good price. The only thing is I'll have to go to some trouble to get it. What say y'all? Is the cartridge any good? Any warnings against H&R's?

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've got a Single Six in 32 H&R, the cartridge is a sweet-heart; easy to load, no recoil unless you want to have some with some of the hotter loads. Mine had all the accuracy I wanted out of a 5.5" single-action.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the cartridge in the Single Six, I've never tried one in a H&R.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW about the only gun I have that my wife likes to shoot is a Single Six 32 mag with the bird's head grip. It has practically no recoil.

A few years back (when I picked this one up) some distributor was blowing them out below cost. I assume there was a large overrun.

I can't think of anything wrong with the concept. You really need to reload for it to keep the cost of shooting reasonable. There's not as much a choice of components, and brass may be harder to come by, but it's never been unworkable when I needed some.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked mine up as an "Oh cool, you don't see these often" gun. It's a Single-Six with the case color, white grips, and fixed sights. Of course it shot low with factory 90-95 gr ammo. I didn't file down the front sight though. I found 115 gr cast bullets and have been playing with loads using those. They shoot higher and closer to the sights.

It's a fun little gun that everyone in my house likes to shoot, and I'd eventually like to pick up one of the Birdshead variants as well.

Just yesterday in listening to one of Tom Gresham's SHOT Show updates I heard the fellow from Double Tap ammo talking about their 32 H&R offering. Except for the price these sound pretty cool to me: http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_104&products_id=515

It all depends on what you want to use it for. I see it as a nice little plinker/rabbit hunting piece.

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
I'd like some info from those with experience. I didn't think too much of it when it came out because it didn't seem to be quite as powerful when handloaded, as the 32-20, which we already had. I did though, think it came in some awfully cool little pistols. The Single Six is always good. These seem pretty high now. The H&R's seemed good too. Surprisingly, I've never seen too many of the latter. Well...either brand, but the H&R's seem especially scarce. The attraction of a centerfire cartridge in a little .22 sized gun has always enticed me for some reason.
The .32 H&R magnum is really a pretty decent little round.. I've got an SP101 in .32H&R and it's very fun to shoot..

Well, I've got one spotted for a good price. The only thing is I'll have to go to some trouble to get it. What say y'all? Is the cartridge any good? Any warnings against H&R's?
First you need to clarify which handgun you're looking at; the Single Six or a true H&R.. If it's the former you'll have no worries.. If it's the latter, anything over $50 is too high.. They were cheaply made, didn't work well, and parts now are scarce.. I would avoid any H&R revolver, period..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My first handgun was an H&R 949 which worked really well. It wouldn't be on my top ten list of guns I wish I had back, but it would be one on my unlimited list. This one is an H&R, not a Ruger. It will cost me less than $300, all told. Without looking at Gunbroker, I'm thinking about $500 is the going price on a Ruger single action in this caliber.

Thanks for the advice thus far...keep it coming. Maybe I don't need it after all if they're junk.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Here's the thing...if I'm right about the price on Single Six-size Rugers, I'd just as soon have a 32-20 Uberti if I really want a .32, which I'm not sure I do. I had a slick 30 Ruger Blackhawk and I'm pretty sure they're superior if anything, to any of the 32's...so that could be an option.

I'm getting way out here now though...I just saw an H&R and got to thinking I'd seldom seen one in that caliber which they developed. Just a whim.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's a decent caliber, Cole. Very light recoil in a Single Six. I've got a pair of 'em I bought for my daughter to use in Cowboy shoots, but she never really got into the sport.

I don't think the 32 H&R Mag does anything special as a cartridge, though. The 32-30 and 327 Federal both offer better ballistics in the same size package, more or less. I'd just as soon plink with a .22 WMR or even a .22LR. I'm probably going to get one of my SS's re-chambered for 32-20 one of these days.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have two Single Six's. One 4 5/8" that stays in Idaho and one 6 1/2" that is in Texas. They are both the loosest Ruger's I own, yet once properly throated and with an 11 degree forcing cone cut they are dead accurate. I shoot 115 gr LBT'ish WLN'ish bullets about exclusively. The little 4 5/8" gun has killed a couple of 100#'ish hogs right well to. No sixgunner should be without IMO.

[Linked Image]

Doc, I think the 32-20 is a tough (read impossible) fit in the Single Six. If'n you want more than the H&R the 327 is the way to go as it will fit with a new long cylinder and a shortened barrel.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Cole,

I had a couple of smiths and a taurus in 32 mag. and a Blackhawk in 30 carbine. Comparing the 32 in a single-six to a Blackhawk in 30 carbine is apples and oranges...the little 32 single-six is a woodsloafing gun, easy to pack and MUCH easier on the ears.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Tony

Doc, I think the 32-20 is a tough (read impossible) fit in the Single Six. If'n you want more than the H&R the 327 is the way to go as it will fit with a new long cylinder and a shortened barrel.

Tony, thanks for that point. I had been reading Bowen's website the other night and read about his conversions to 327 Fed in the Single Six and mixed it up with my long-time yen for a 32-20 caliber Blackhawk (small frame). I had two sleep-deprived nights on call this week back to back.

Yes, it's the 327 Fed I was thinking of rechambering the Single Six to. I think it would be a sweet little revolver with a bit more zip than the H&R Mag.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've had both. I bought one of the first H&Rs in 32 mag, and was totally underwhelmed by the caliber with the constraints necessary for use in such a lightly built revolver. Later I bought a Single Six, loaded it pretty hot, then decided that I could do all this with my 38s & .357s. I think my biggest issue was that I don't really like single-actions. At the time, there were no DA 32 H&Rs. That's all in the past now, and I think I'd like a GP100 in .327. H&Rs have their place in the world, but it's not with hot handloads.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The H&R's, at the time of introduction, where not held in high regard. I cannot see what would make them a better value today.

The thing with the .32 is you find it useful or you don't. I see a lot of people trying to make it into a .357, which it's not, but I don't understand why. It can surely kill a deer, like the 357, but it's not the optimal tool for it. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the 357 for deer, but the 41, 44, 45, and up, are better tools for it in my opinion. I see the .32, and the .327 for that matter, as a "better" .22 mag...certainly none of them even approach the level of a heavy cast bullet 357.

I say enjoy it for what it is, or let someone else buy it. It's great for small game and coyotes, packs very light, and shoots quite well. I'd not mess with the fixed sight versions, but I like my revolvers to hit exactly where I point them.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I no longer have a .32 H&R, but do carry a Uberti SAA in .32-20 quite a bit. The balistics of the two are close enough that I can't see a tremendous advantage of one over the other......as long as you accept the limits and understand where they are best used.

As a woods walking gun to be used primarily on small game, I find the .32-20 to be very good. It is much less destructive on edible game than the .357 and does it's job with a LOT less muzzle blast. The H&R should do just as well in a lighter, handier weapon.

If I happen to come across something bigger (hogs are my main alternate targets) the .32-20 is effective with careful shot placement. It's certainly less gun than the .357, but I've never been overly impressed with the .357 on larger game either. Both require precise shooting. The H&R would be even more marginal, but could still take deer/ hogs with VERY careful shot placement.

The main advantage of the H&R would be the smaller, lighter guns it is chambered in such as the Single-Six. To me, there isn't enough gained there to make me give up my SAA size revolvers in .32-20.

I've never found adjustable sights to be any real advantage either as I tend to select a load that works and not change things. I simply file the sights to hit where I want with that load and never need to adjust anything......or worry that anything will get out of adjustment.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Ruger Single-Six, birdshead grip, 4 5/8" barrel, SA revolver, chambered in 32 H&R Mag - One of my favorite handguns and one of my favorite calibers.

I don't really compare the 32 H&R Mag cartidge to anything else ...
Guess I just like it for what it is, and for what it isn't.

I also like the little S&W 432-PD 'Airweight' 32 H&R Mag snubnose revolver that my wife has - (and shoots well.)

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I've had several .32Mags. Love them, in the right platform.

IMHO, that platform IS the Single-Six. It's just "right". The K-frames are better with .38/.357s, smaller than the SS, stick with .22s. But, in the Single-Six, the .32 just shines.

Is it a "niche" caliber and platform? Sure. So?

As to the H&R revolver, I've never been a fan nor favorably impressed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Presently have a S&W 432 Airweight and have owned a K frame, SP101, and Ruger Single-Six Bisely in 32 H&R.

It's a GREAT little cal. and as mentioned lower recoil and noise than a 32-20 or 30 carbine. Just lots of fun for a woods bummin gun.

And, 6 instead of 5 in a J frame bellygun with about the same energy as a 38 Special.

Virgil B.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A few years ago a shop in my area had a Ruger 101 in 32H&R
for sale, it sat for a very long time before it sold.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
I've had several .32Mags. Love them, in the right platform.

IMHO, that platform IS the Single-Six. It's just "right". The K-frames are better with .38/.357s, smaller than the SS, stick with .22s. But, in the Single-Six, the .32 just shines.

Is it a "niche" caliber and platform? Sure. So?

Now you and TexasRick have got me to thinking. Which is rarely a good thing, or at least not a cheap thing. I'm heading over to ltppowell's camp in Feb and he says to bring a squirrel gun. I'm thinkin' I'll load me up some 32 H&R Mag ammo for one of my little Single Sixes and see how it does on tree rats... might entail buying a new bullet mould or two, and several hours' casting time...

Thanks, guys. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,244
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.