Print Thread
Hop To
N
Nate40 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I picked up a new model ruger single six the other day its 5.5" blued in about 90% has both cylenders. Was curious how much its worth?are the new models anygood? I had a old model years ago and was wondering about the new ones.thanks

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I bought a pair of SS's in 32 H&R about 5 years ago. They're nice little pistols. I think Ruger quality control continues to be excellent for the most part.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
good guns...sometimes the LR cylinder doesn't shoot as well as the Magnu does.

Value...in NE a nice one with both cylinders go for $300-375.00

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RJM
good guns...sometimes the LR cylinder doesn't shoot as well as the Magnu does.

My single six always shot better with the 22MAG cylinder,
always wondered why that is confused

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
.22 LR calls for .222 to .2225 bore diameter, .22 mag is .224. Most dual cylinder guns are .224. Safer to have a sloppy, inaccurate .22 LR than a too-tight .22 mag causing pressure problems.

At least, that's the urban legend. smile

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Safer to have a sloppy, inaccurate .22 LR than a too-tight .22 mag causing pressure problems.

Tom - Well it maybe an urban legend, but it makes sense.
Thanks for the info

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Hotload
Safer to have a sloppy, inaccurate .22 LR than a too-tight .22 mag causing pressure problems.

Thanks for the info

slug the barrel and see.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

slug the barrel and see.

Can you explain how this is done confused

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I wouldn't bother to slug a .22 revolver barrel... too much work.

But if you want to, get yourself a soft lead fishing weight, the kind that are teardrop or oval shape and have a hold down the middle. Buy an aluminum rod at the hardware store under .224 diameter longer than the barrel by a couple of inches. Clamp your revolver in a vise (wrap it in leather/wood first, of course), muzzle up, with the cylinder removed. Use a BIG hammer (I use a 3-lb. hand sledge) and drive the weight through your bore with the aluminum rod. Measure the diameter of the slug thus obtained and you'll know your bore's diameter across the tops of the lands.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Nate40
I picked up a new model ruger single six the other day its 5.5" blued in about 90% has both cylenders. Was curious how much its worth?are the new models anygood? I had a old model years ago and was wondering about the new ones.thanks

I like mine a lot. I also had a 3 screw and liked it too, but the new model is just fine and I don't have to worry about having a live round under the firing pin. Your SS is worth $300 - $350. Here's mine with a Mag cylinder I found on the net.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I like my new model I paid $430 for mine new. haven't shot the mag yet but I'll tell you the chippies dont like the 22 lr laugh Oh yea it has a 9.5 inich barrel smile
[Linked Image]

I don't feed em I eat em
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought a SS with both mags a few years ago for my wife. (She call it her "Annie Oakley" gun.)

We mostly shoot LR due to the cost differential and the lack of any need for the .22 Mag rounds when shooting clays at a few yards. Haven't really wrung it out with the .22 Mags as it is "her" gun and it rarely goes to the range unless my wife or one or more of my daughters are with me. Fun shooter, regardless, and pretty accurate.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
N
Nate40 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks for the replys. I really like it i traded a ruger mk2 22 auto for it and was kinda regretting it but ill admit the single six weighs alot less.i havent put it on paper yet but was busting coke cans at 35yds with the magnum cylender.

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hotload

Thanks for the info

No legend...Ruger Single-Six 22lr/22mag barrels are .224. All Ruger single-Six .22 guns after SN 150000 have the new .224 size barrels.

check it out......
http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurzr.html

Ed
D
dph Offline
D
Mine is a fairly good shooter with either cylinder but it is noticeably more accurate with the 22Mag cylinder.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also have the 9.5 inch barrel.....very good quality, and have
been pleased with it since day one....always goes out to the boonies with me.

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I bought a new model SS Convertible with a 5.5 inch barrel way back in 1972. For many years, that gun was all I carried when I wanted a handgun for company while wandering around in our deserts and mountain ranges.
With the .22 Magnum cylinder, it killed alot of small stuff like ground squirrels and jack rabbits. Kills alot better than the .22 LR out of a handgun. Used the shot cartriages to kill a sidewinder once.
The 40 gr. HP load, designed for rifle velociites, holds together and penetrates alot better than you'd think.
Unless you might be up against big, tough critters, it's all anyone really needs in a field pistol. E

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I bought a new model single six in 17HMR, by far the most inaccurate pistol I have ever owned. about 1' group's at 20 yard's guess I should have stayed with the .22 version.
I will be selling this piece of crap but not on the classified's here as I have let the cat out of the bag.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, Akhutr, 450yukon, 375sunrise, 907brass, 13 invisible), 1,542 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,526
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.