Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
To the guys wearing Danner Pronghorns, how much insulation ? I am contemplating purchasing a pair of Danner Pronghorns for elk hunting. Just found out that they come in 3 or 4 insulation levels, 400gr, 800gr, 1200gram. Which to choose ?

My primary objective is Colorado Second Rifle season. I average 5 to 6 miles per day, 500 to 1,000 verticle feet, 30 to 35 lb Eberlestock pack (including rifle). The past two years have started out 50* to 60*F and dry the week before, and, ended up 20* to 25* F with 8" to 18" of snow on the ground when we pull out. On hunt days, I typically "hike" in to get somewhere, sit for 2 to 3 hours, still hunt for a couple hours, sit for an hour or 2 until dark, and then "hike" back out.

MY initial inclination was to go with the 800gr or 1200gram, (I hate cold feet). But, I do not want to waste money on a pair of boots where too much insulation decreases the "hike-ability" of the boot.

Your thoughts ?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've got a pair of the 1000 gram models, way too much for my taste if you're doing any amount of walking. Great for sitting on a deer stand in Virginia, though.

If I were to pick up another pair for elk hunting, they'd be either 400 or 800 - probably the former.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had the 400gr version and they were ok. As CFVA mentioned, if you cover a lot of ground in the heavier insulated versions, your feet are going to sweat. Sitting for several hours plus wet feet may equal cold feet for you.

Another option you may consider using a gaiter or supergaiter. You can pop them on if the conditions and temperatures take a turn for the worse and pop them off if the temperatures are warmer. The good ones can tend to be a little pricey, though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a pair of un-insulated Pronghorns, and some Irish Setters in 800 & 1600.

The 800's I use the vast majority of the time, unless it's over 40-50 degrees and the 1600's are strictly ice fishing boots.

Life is just one damned thing after another
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
orion2000
Take this for what it's worth- This year, I bought a new pair of Danner Pronghorns for mild weather hunting- the uninsulated ones. Our elk hunting season here turned into being very much the temps and snow conditions you described for much of the season. I was hunting in the Beartooth Game Range, climbing about a 1000 feet a day and hiking about 4 to 5 miles a day, total. Those uninsulated Danners kept my feet very warm and comfortable when moving.
Based on that I would not get a pair with over 200 grams of insulation, and if I was going to sit for extended periods of time, I'd bring some of those chemical foot warmers to throw in the bottom of my boots when I was sitting.

Fred

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Royce
orion2000
Take this for what it's worth- This year, I bought a new pair of Danner Pronghorns for mild weather hunting- the uninsulated ones. Our elk hunting season here turned into being very much the temps and snow conditions you described for much of the season. I was hunting in the Beartooth Game Range, climbing about a 1000 feet a day and hiking about 4 to 5 miles a day, total. Those uninsulated Danners kept my feet very warm and comfortable when moving.
Based on that I would not get a pair with over 200 grams of insulation, and if I was going to sit for extended periods of time, I'd bring some of those chemical foot warmers to throw in the bottom of my boots when I was sitting.

Fred

Agreed. I've been using the uninsulated pronghorns for all but the latest seasons in Idaho and Montana for several years. It has to get down around 10 deg F or so, before I'll put on the insulated ones. I don't have very warm feet but I find that as long as my boots are waterproof and I have decent socks on I'm good down to 10 deg or so. 200g would be fine. 400g would be fine if you don't have a warm fall and with 600g you'de probably best hope for an extra cold fall. My 2 cents are 200g Max for that hunt.

CRoss

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a pair of 400 gr Pronghorns and I don't consider them to be over or under insulated - at all. The insulation is relatively thin and not much more than just a liner. I have no issues with the "hike-ability" factor or cold feet with the right socks (merino wool0. When it gets real cold adding ski type sock liners adds another layer of warmth.

I've worn them on hunting trips with temps from single digits to the 90's and have been very happy with my choice.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I would choose 400 or 800. 1200 is overkill. Whichever you choose, always pack an extra pair of polypropylene/silk and a medium merino wool socks to switch off if you are going to sit for awhile. Ditto for your layered underwear top(s).

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you are hiking at all, no more than 400. I've been fine with uninsulated Pronghorns after they are water-proofed and if I wear good socks. My favorite socks are SmartWool. For really, really cold weather and tough conditions my choice would be a different boot altogether.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The "good socks" part, I think is often overlooked. A pair of polypro liners under some decent wool blend socks make all the difference in the world, perhaps as much as going to the next level of insulation ( my guess, not offered as fact)

Fred

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Uninsulated for me and smart wool socks. Hunted elk in CO at 10,000 in sept. and my feet have not been cold up there yet. I love those boots...they just fit me right.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OP, I have been wearing non insulated Pronghorns for 6 years and just add thicker socks once the temperatures drop. I did buy a pair of 400 gr and wore those this season since it was colder, worked very well! These are the old models, and looking to buy a new model non insulated to replace my worn out pair.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Another vote for uninsulated. Good liners/socks and a pair of OR gaiters and your good well below freezing. I even where them on stand bowhunting, they're actually fairly warm.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Orion2000
To the guys wearing Danner Pronghorns, how much insulation ? I am contemplating purchasing a pair of Danner Pronghorns for elk hunting. Just found out that they come in 3 or 4 insulation levels, 400gr, 800gr, 1200gram. Which to choose ?

My primary objective is Colorado Second Rifle season. I average 5 to 6 miles per day, 500 to 1,000 verticle feet, 30 to 35 lb Eberlestock pack (including rifle). The past two years have started out 50* to 60*F and dry the week before, and, ended up 20* to 25* F with 8" to 18" of snow on the ground when we pull out. On hunt days, I typically "hike" in to get somewhere, sit for 2 to 3 hours, still hunt for a couple hours, sit for an hour or 2 until dark, and then "hike" back out.

MY initial inclination was to go with the 800gr or 1200gram, (I hate cold feet). But, I do not want to waste money on a pair of boots where too much insulation decreases the "hike-ability" of the boot.

Your thoughts ?

I hunt the same typical conditions often. Usually I wear uninsulated boots w/ Costco socks unless it gets below 20-25, then 400gr boots. I cant stand to sit, so my my feet dont really ever get cold. Id go 200 if they had it for an all rounder. I cant stand to wear my 400 gr boots most of the time when its above freezing, but everyone is differnt.

Sean
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have two pair of Danner Pronghorns. Uninsulated and 400's. The uninsulated ones are my favorite. If I'm moving, they're good down to below freezing with heavy wool socks and great for summertime w/cotton. The 400's only go on if I'm expecting temps from low 30's down to single digits... The socks that you pair up w/your boots can make them work in a wide temp range.
John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got both the original version and the newer model in uninsulated. My feet tell me they are totally different boots, the footbed especially. Thinking about having the older version restitched and toe capped, they are way more comfortable than the newer ones.
I wore the older ones yesterday riding the mule with the temps in the low 30's and a raw wind, feet were getting cold after a couple hours, even with lightweight Smartwool socks. I've used them mostly pheasant hunting but wouldn't want to sit too long in cold weather.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a pair of 200's. With a good sock I've worn them in Mid 20's weather when I'm still hunting. Great boot!

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the 200's and sock-up if need be. I do not like my feet too hot.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have a pair of 800s. The 800s are great if you are not planning on walking. They will wallow around and your foot is all over the place. I know wear Meindl's and carry a pair of down over booties. I only wear the 800s if there is almost no chance of having to walk more than a mile. Now I am getting older and I have bad feet, the old feet just have to have the support.

It’s all about Leadership.
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Gents, thanks for all of the input. I generally tend to over engineer things. After I found out that there were 800 and 1200 gram versions available, I figured I would buy one of those two flavors. After reading the feedback here, I will focus on the 400 gram boots.

The question that has been raised is Chinese built Pronghorns versus U.S. built Trophy's or Canadian's ??? I like the idea of buying American made. And I am willing to pay the upcharge. Unfortunately, the Pronghorns are the only Danner boots I have found in the stores that I have access to try on boots. I am not willing to risk $300 or $400 on U.S. made boots that I can not try on before the purchase.

Thoughts ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (35, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 338Rules, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 15 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,648
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.