Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
T
I have a chance to purchase a j.p sauer hammer drilling in 16ga x 16ga x 9.3 x 73r. (72r?)I have no idea how to age or price drillings and this one seems fair for $1100 even though the wood appears to be refinished.

Anyways my question is about the shotgun chambers, i am assuming they are the older shorter chambers, can they be lenghtened? Is it blasphemy?

Thanks,

Last edited by TexasTBag; 01/19/12.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The 16 bore has come in various sizes throughout the years (2 7/16, 2 9/16, 2 3/8, 2 � ). The simple answer is yes, you can lengthen those chambers (best to just lengthen the forcing cone), and typically it�s not heresy. European rules are any work done to the barrels will require a re-proof. If you have the forcing cone lengthened and then send it off to Europe for re-proofing, that will ensure you maintain all the value. But here in the states, not everyone is much concerned about proof.

Shooting longer shells in shorter chambers has been proven to not increase chamber pressure by any degree that could be considered dangerous (typically 1,000psi is about average). In some cases you can see poor patterning, and if that�s the case, then lengthening the forcing cone is in order if you desire to use only modern shells. Otherwise, you can buy �vintage� type shells from companies like Poly Wad and you should expect perfect patterning. If the patterning is good with modern shells, then all is good and don�t bother with anything.

Most 16 bore drillings are choked full and full, which you may find desirable or may not. I personally would want the chokes opened up to IC in both or perhaps IC and Mod if I expected to do a good deal of pheasant hunting or such larger birds. With modern ammunition that uses plastic wads, most guns are significantly over-choked and I think you�ll find your full and full will pattern more like turkey chokes with modern ammo. For further advise, or if you�re considering any work for your drilling, I would recommend Nick Tooth, formerly of Purdey�s, and no one else: http://www.nicholastooth.com/

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Great just great

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Considering that the price of 2 1/2" 16ga shells is about same as 2 3/4" and that modifying chamber length or forcing cones (if it hasn't already been done) takes the gun out of proof, enjoy it as it is.

YMMV

"If I'm already on my way down
I might as well just work the crowd"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I run a long forcing cone reamer into them and get vastly improved patterns as a rule.

Be SURE to take the forend off the gun, hold it by the grip, and shake it! If you feel any wobble you can count on replacing the hinge pin. That runs from $300.00 to $500.00, usually and depending on who does it. Just keep in mind that cost when you go to buy. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the help. I'm looking for mostly a wall hangar but still would like to take it out a couple times a year.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 53 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,308
Posts18,487,182
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.