Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
For elk sized game on down the ladder, the Berger hunting VLDs work. Although I have not been to Africa yet, I would not discount the VLDs for performing extremely well on smaller, medium, and on medium/large African plains game.

No VLDs should ever be used on caped buffs, crocs, elephants, lions, hippos, rhinos, and maybe not on the largest of kudu.

Given everything I`ve seen and from the reports, the VLDs should do well in Africa hunting the "proper" game.

So they're okay to use on elk, but not Kudu?
Kudu being roughly the same size as elk if not a tad smaller...
Makes perfect sense to me crazy
.......A 1000 pardons for my African game mis-identity.

How abouts largest of "eland" instead. Got a kudu mixed up with an eland.....Yep. Eland grow bigger.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Hey I though you were dead???
......I think that needs to be posted another thousand times. No. Make it a million. laugh laugh

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by interthem
+10 to safariman.

Once you've seen a match or pseudo match bullet blow to pieces when it hits a big bone in a big animal, and realize the animal would have been lost (or worse if agressive) and was only recovered because the guide put a quick fu shot in with a hunting bullet, you reach the conclusion that bullet construction and performance counts a lot more than BC or inches of drop @ 1000 yards (where nobody has any business shooting at live animals anyway).

Find me a PH who suggests his clients bring match/pseudo match bullets to take down serious big game.
The story of Major (?) Grey and the Lion tells what happens when thin jackets. lead cores and high velocity come together against a medium size animal that fights back.

"The case of a refined English gent named Grey will provide an excellent example. Grey and two companions were hunting driven lion from horse back in the African Savannas, early in the last century. Grey was armed with a .280 Ross rifle. The agreement was that if the beaters put up a lion, the riders were to merge together before an attempt was made to take it. The beaters did put up two lions, and Grey's companions were a considerable distance away.

Grey foolishly decided to take the male lion himself with his .280. He rode close and fired a shot into it, wounding but not disabling the beast. Understandably, the lion took exception to this unprovoked assault and charged, knocking Grey to the ground and biting and clawing him to teach him some manners, before bounding off into the long grass.
Although terribly mutilated, Grey did not die straight away. He managed to communicate to his companions that his fate was entirely due to his own stupid actions and not the fault of the beaters. He died several days later in a hospital. The wounded lion was tracked and dispatched by Grey's companions."

Section any Berger, SMK, AMax and a high spitzer soft point velocity bullet of the 1930s. May look different on the outside but construction is the same.

Even the puff piece written on hunting in NZ with Bergers admitted there was ONE hole, that the elastic skin closed right up. In other words no tracking possible.

There is just no rational reason NOT to use a proven hunting bullet when hunting. Had Grey used a 140 gr TSX in his 280 (about like a 7mm remmeg) he probably would have died in bed as an old man, not of Septicemia in great discomfort in a colonial hospital.

How does one categorize the literary style of Larry Root? Obviously not a historical novel, or even the Cliff Notes version thereof. Not enough factual information to qualify. Can't be fiction, as that style needs a story line and some direction, eventually leading to a conclusion. Not sure what to call it. I guess it'll have to be labeled B.S. That's a catch all category big enough to accommodate most of these droppings... grin

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would so shoot an African lion with a VLD.

This grizzly bear outweighed most any lion and the VLD simply wrecked him from very bad angles.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JohnBurns; 01/23/12.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

This grizzly bear outweighed most any lion and the VLD simply wrecked him from very bad angles.

[Linked Image]
........John....When it comes to VLDs, you have far more experience than me. I`m on your side when it comes to the VLDs. My only VLD kills are a bunch of hogs and one bull elk.

If I had included on my list that VLDs were an acceptable bullet for lion, I probably would have gotten thrashed by the VLD haters.

Instead, you get to take the heat. laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
........When it comes to Fill In The Blank, you have far more experience than me.
I thought you died; or at least had the decency to quit. Oh I forgot, nothing you say is true. Carry on.

I'd love to see a pic of you with your VLD killed elk...

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
........When it comes to Fill In The Blank, you have far more experience than me.
I thought you died; or at least had the decency to quit. Oh I forgot, nothing you say is true. Carry on.

I'd love to see a pic of you with your VLD killed elk...
...............You can believe or not believe whatever you want. I really don`t care.

Got pics. 35mm pics in a photo album.

Assume I were to learn how to post pics. Let`s assume further I did post pics from my various hunts and assume even further that I could put a video on this forum featuring my nephew and his friend explaining everything and why they pulled their joke.

Since my credibility is already down the tubes of which I really don`t care anyway, do you really think that if I did all of the above that it would change a damn thing?

Nope! I`d be accused of either photo shopping my hunts, or borrowing the photos, coaching the boys to say what happened and why, and coaching their apology. And in doing all that I`d be giving further ammo to guys like you who believe that guilty before innocence is a good thing? Innocence which could be proven sufficiently.

You and many on this forum are not worth that effort. Not gonna fall into your bait trap to appease those (including you),,,who are not worth appeasing in the least, let alone making any effort to post anything.

But if you`re ever in OC, I have a few hunting photo albums you can look through. Have a few m/arts tourney trophies from many years ago sitting in a glass case, have a bunch of photos from that profession, including many studio photos when my former partner and I owned our three studios.

That`s about as much effort as I intend to offer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Assume I were to learn how to post pics.

Have your nephew help you, He's a computer whiz right?

And he's familiar with your computer, password and all, right?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Oh man........now I need to re-fill my coffee......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Kenneth

TFF!

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

[Linked Image]

John,
Have you posted info about your grizzly hunt or a video? Appreciate you sharing your experience.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...............You can believe or not believe whatever you want. I really don`t care.

With your skills, finances and abilities I find it hard to believe that you don't own a digital camera or a scanner. Given your intellect it's hard to believe that you can't understand how to post pics... I'd think that with hundreds of dead hogs to your credit that you'd manage at least a photo from a cell phone. Please hang just one pic of you accomplishing something.

As for your credibility, the only comment from you that is credible is that you're likely from California--the OC is less likely, but no doubt you must reside in California...

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Which cartridge and bullet??? Inquiring minds.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Snork! grin

John

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by smokepole

Which cartridge and bullet??? Inquiring minds.......

And distance??

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[/quote]As for your credibility, the only comment from you that is credible is that you're likely from California--the OC is less likely, but no doubt you must reside in California...

[/quote]........Well that kind of remark is a good reason why I could care less about making any effort for guys like you or to appease people like you. Doing what you ask won`t change anything.

Your bait trap no doubt, will be manuvered against me one way or the other by many.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I might be wrong BUT I think the 35 mm film camera was long obsolete and replaced by digital before Berger started marketing hunting VLD's

Since my credibility is already down the tubes of which I really don`t care anyway,

So why do you continue to hang here? Curious....

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My friend killed a grizzly with a with his 7 wsm loaded with 168 vlds. Another friend of his posted about it on the hide a while back. That post said he used the 180 but when I asked him about it while elk hunting with him he said he used the 168. He said it worked well.

Bb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll just make an observation gents for what it's worth, but historical evidence here suggests that individuals who claim ignorance or issues with posting pictures as an excuse, turn out to be less than candid. This is by no means a blanket observation, but there it is.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
N
Nellie Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Guys a question on vld brass preparation? Do you suggest using a Chamfer reamer? Which brand would you suggest?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,445
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.