Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
For those who do have or have had the Savage edge rifle what do you think about them? Accuracy ,etc.

Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I don't have one, but a neighbor has a .223 that shoots really well. It is homely, but is an accurate, dependable utility grade rifle. The trigger is way heavy out of the box, but I replaced the trigger spring and it was down from 6 lb. to 3.25 lb. I think it will go under 3# easily, but I only had one suitable spring and didn't want to go too far without a replacement. I know some guys who bought one and then invested $100 in a new trigger. That doesn't make sense to me when WalMart sells a Savage package gun with an Accutrigger for $400.

If you want a utility grade rifle that shoots great, this is a good rifle. If you want to modify it, there aren't many options. BTW, all Axis (new name for the Edge) are built on a long action with a spacer built into the short action models. Works fine that way. I may consider one as a truck gun/predator rifle now that they have introduced a left hand model.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks Leon,apparently you are the only one on here who has ever owned and or shot one.

Craig

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Owned one had problems with clip wouldnt stay in walmart said that was the usual problem trigger was heavy and long sold it quick have since purchased multiple marlin x7 and cant be more happy great trigger and no problems they need to make a 223 though

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Owned one had problems with clip wouldnt stay in walmart said that was the usual problem trigger was heavy and long sold it quick have since purchased multiple marlin x7 and cant be more happy great trigger and no problems they need to make a 223 though

IC B2

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Man I would hate to lose the magazine as they are expensive!

Craig

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i bought the axis version a few weeks back. mine is very accurate, but it is somewhat ugly. i haven't had an problems with the clip-in type magazine. it works as it should. the trigger is a little heavy and i'll have my smith adjust it down in a month or so. i see it as a good gun for hauling around the farm, shooting targets of opportunity while not being too concerned about bumps and dirt. ymmv.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
My buddy has one in .223 and it is very accurate. He hasnt had any problem with it at all. Great deal for the money spent.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm thinking all these new 770 Rem clones would make great truck guns... that and a cheap Bushnell or Tasco Scope ( not as cheap as comes on the Scope Packaged ones)... and you have a rifle you can bounce all over the place and not care...

but the one thing that would concern me, if one lived in a cold climate, how well will the plastic hold up or would they end up cracking in an important place to impede function..

or in some place like Texas, would they just end up melting in the hot sun??

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We sell them and have sold about 50 of them since they came out.Everybody happy with how accurate they are. Never heard of the magazine falling out.Trigger is the big complaint for the guy that a shooter.Most tell us they shoot between 1&1 1/2 inch at 100 yards. Sell mostly .223,243 and .308's. Some of the young men just getting there 1st rifle try to make them look tactical with a bi-pod and rail style scope base. They have alot of fun shooting them with military surplus ammo at steel plates.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by azelkhuntr

there is a standard weight, and varmit weight Marlin "X" guns in .223 on the way for 2012. grin Distributors are stocking them now and they are hands down a better gun than the AXIS/EDGE. wink

Last edited by dmsbandit; 01/23/12.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Will it be chambered in 223 as for axis/edge mine shot good with factory ammo even with heavy trigger 1 1/2" 100 yard 3 shot group just got scared when i was told that was usuall may actually not be walmart and all the clip/magazine would fall out when fired ramdomly maybee i got a lemon

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Yep will be a 223 if i buy one.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I bought my wife a youth model in 243. I couldn't be happpier with it! The accuracy is outstanding with any bullet in the 75-80 grn range, groups of 1/2-3/4" are very common. I got mine bare bones at Cabelas on sale for $250, put a Bushnell Trophy in Leupold bases and rings on for less than $500 total out the door. I have never had an issue with the magazine falling out and yes the trigger does suck. You can read online and fix the trigger for about $1 if I remember correctly. Excellent buy for someone looking for a youth/starter rifle for someone.

Last edited by TAC81; 01/23/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother bought a Savage Edge .270 Win as his first rifle and he has gotten sub MOA groups using Winchester gray box ammo. I'm not sure if he's getting consistent groups but he's very happy with the accuracy. Since it was a close-out gun at Gander Mountain he bought it for $190.

I'm anxious to see how it performs when we go hunting together later this year.

D
D
I bought the Edge youth package with the cheap Bushnell scope in 243 for my grandson. The stock is a little flexible in the wrist area and it takes a little practice to consistently get the magazine installed properly. However, even with the six pound trigger pull, it was very accurate with good handloads. I think its a good value in its price range.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If I were after something like that I would seriously look at the new Ruger assuming they make in a round you want to shoot. Guy selling them over on the Forum for $350 or so.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1234, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,430
Posts18,470,780
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.