Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Any of the Stuff by Armscor will do the job, that includes several names that have been mentioned from the Citadel to the Spartan and a ton of others. Their Warranty is here in the US and they will turn your gun around in 5 days in the unlikely event you need warranty work. Best value out there.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i've got two colts and a kimber. i bought them quite a few years ago when they were still reasonably priced.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm liking my Para G.I. a lot. It is the stainless version. IIRC around $550.00 at a gun show new.

The factory mags were junk. I bought some mil spec at a show and some Chip McCormick 8 rounders and no issues what so ever. Feeds everything I stuff in the mags.

I've got a couple of the RIA's and they shoot great, after a couple of hundred rounds they smooth up nicely.

I had a Springer G.I. just never liked it very much. The ,"painted finish" looked tacky.

Last edited by TERRY8mm; 01/22/12.
D
dph Offline
D
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
I had a Springer G.I. just never liked it very much. The ,"painted finish" looked tacky.

I have two Colts and a Kimber plus this Springfield GI model. I think that they are well worth the money. I think that they can still be found for $525-$550. All of the ones that I have seen are parkerized, I haven't seen any with a "painted finish".

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was going to get an STI Spartan, but after reading the reviews and taking into account the fact that they are made in the U.S., I'm now leaning towards a Ruger SR1911. The only problem is they are difficult to find and selling near list price.

GunBlast Review of SR1911

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Fotis
My buddy is wanting to purchase one. As usual money is an issue and his budget is somewhat limited.
Quality, dependability and accuracy need apply.

What do you guys recommend?

....just got back from the SHOT show. Lew Horton is selling the Enhanced Remington R1 at a substantial discount----it is a very impressive gun--everything that you need, nothing that you don't IMO:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...IIRC, this is over $200 less than the MSRP----they had the same gun at the Remington booth with a $900+ price tag. FWIW, the trigger was wonderful on the samples that I tried.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One can get a Kimber Custom II for that dough.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by Fotis
My buddy is wanting to purchase one. As usual money is an issue and his budget is somewhat limited.
Quality, dependability and accuracy need apply.

What do you guys recommend?

....just got back from the SHOT show.

Greg,

Anything else strike your fancy at SHOT?

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen Blued & stainless new Colt Government models in the $750 to $850 range. Realize you can save a couple hundred elewhere but you'll have no trouble reselling a Colt should you decide not to keep it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There is a RIA Tactical in the Classifieds for $400.

NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know of a shop with a new RIA milspec model that's been hanging on the peg for a couple years priced @ $399. After reading about prices on 45s in this thread, If I had the $$ I'd go snatch it up today.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Savuti
Greg,

Anything else strike your fancy at SHOT?

Pete

...Pete, I was there with Sporting Clays Magazine so spent alot of time with shotgun-related guns and accessories----but my heart's with handgunning so spent alot of time catching up with old friends--Richard Heinie, Eddie Brown, etc. I did love the Walther PPQ guns and the new FN striker gun---both had nicer triggers than any Springfield, Glock or M&P out-of-the-box that I've ever seen. IIRC, the FN guy said that you can swap out the 9mm and .40 tops on the same frame like uppers on an AR. I spent some time talking with Wiley Clapp at the Colt booth---I've been carrying the Clapp Commander now for six months or so and wanted to talk with him about it. They have a new Wiley Clapp full-size-all-steel-Govt. model that's been designed by him that was really nice. Probably the coolest thing that I got to actually handle and dry-fire was the Rohrbaugh prototype .45 ACP:
[Linked Image]
...this is a seriously cool dao .45---someone described Rohrbaugh's pocket 9's as the Rolls Royce of handguns, which I think isn't too far off the mark. This .45 is well thought out---takes 1911 magazines---only downside is that it may be just a tad too large to be an honest pocket pistol, unless you have large pockets or wear cargo pants---still, it was neat to handle it.

....got to spend some time talking with Bart Skelton---he was overly gracious and thanked me for stopping him to talk!!

....the Jack O'Connor rifle was one of the highlights for me---to handle the original #2 gun was a pretty neat experience for someone that grew up at the feet of his written word like I did.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by supercrewd
There is a RIA Tactical in the Classifieds for $400.

was smile

FJB
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another vote for Kimber Custom II.

Naught's had, alls spent
When desire is got without content
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A Caspian frame hand-fitted to a Caspian slide. Kart barrel hand-fitted (think bank-vault). Heine Ledge Pro tritiums. EGW hammer and internals. Trigger set to "roll" with moderate overtravel at 3 3/4#. Alexander mag funnel/mainspring. It goes without saying that you need to find a guy who's built a couple-hundred like this.

Until you can afford the above, just keep shootin' a Glock.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (1minute, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 219DW, 63 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,208
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.