-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have always wanted to get into blackpowder hunting so today I picked up a new Knight wolverine 209 .45 at the local pawn shop for $199 I have a couple of questions. Is there any place to get instruction on how to use this BP rifle? I hope it's a good BP rifle for a beginner and appears to be of good quality. I have shot a traditional BP rifle but never and inline.Any advise would be welcome. I think the 45 should be OK for the smaller blacktail in this area.Sorry for the base question but none of my friends BP hunt so I going to have to be self taught.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's the owners manual. Scroll down to page 35.

http://images.ebsco.com/pob/krwarranty/cms/inline_6_29_11.pdf

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you, Thank you. Just what I needed. I could not figure out what it was you screwed in and out on the bolt. 2nd saftey. Now to find powder pellets,209 primers in a plastic holder.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Patrick_James
I have always wanted to get into blackpowder hunting so today I picked up a new Knight wolverine 209 .45 at the local pawn shop for $199 I have a couple of questions. Is there any place to get instruction on how to use this BP rifle? I hope it's a good BP rifle for a beginner and appears to be of good quality. I have shot a traditional BP rifle but never and inline.Any advise would be welcome. I think the 45 should be OK for the smaller blacktail in this area.Sorry for the base question but none of my friends BP hunt so I going to have to be self taught.
http://www.oeoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=796 Why mess with a used one, when you can buy one NIB for less, with instructions. i own one and they are accurate with saboted & full bore conicals and extremely well built.

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by builder
http://www.oeoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=796 Why mess with a used one, when you can buy one NIB for less, with instructions. i own one and they are accurate with saboted & full bore conicals and extremely well built.
I thought he gave a little too much as well because a NIB one sold at an auction here a couple months back for $100, with some bullets, patches, etc. However, he already picked it up. Then I realized that he bought the .45 caliber and both the one you linked to as well as the one I saw sell were .50 calibers. I'm not sure if the .45 brings a premium or not, but maybe that's why it was more.

Last edited by slowr1der; 01/22/12.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you, Thank you. Just what I needed. I could not figure out what it was you screwed in and out on the bolt. 2nd saftey. Now to find powder pellets,209 primers in a plastic holder.

Forget the powder pellets,..take a look at Black Horn 209. Search around on the campfire, BH209 is the way to go.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Blackhorn 209 powder and some of Lane's tubes...
MMP Tan sabots...
Hornady XTP 180gr .40 bullets...
Winchester 209 primers...
Knight FPJ primer jackets...
Hoppe's #7 for cleanup...

have a ball!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Bh209 is not a good choice shot from a plunger style rifle.you run the risk of being hit with a flying primer/pieces due to the design of the rifle.any questions call western powders.

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Never had a problem with FPJ's, less than 100grV loads of BH209 and 250gr or lighter projectiles.
Burned a lot of powder and primers with that combination.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bh209 is not a good choice shot from a plunger style rifle.you run the risk of being hit with a flying primer/pieces due to the design of the rifle.any questions call western powders.

Doubt BH209 would of made it to the market if it was more likely to cause such than other BP substitutes.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We get our disks (the primer goes in) from Natchez. http://www.natchezss.com/

My buddy has a Wolverine and bought the conversion to shoot the round red inserts. Mine still shoots the rectangle shaped orange ones. We both get them from natchez.

Two things. We all used FFF (triple F) powder pellets. It will be fun finding them in .45 cal but you might give them a look. This year, my friend used White Hot pellets and I bought a couple boxes to experiment with after the season. They require less cleanup, make less smoke, and are pretty consistent. I'll shoot them through the chrony and check my groups for next season.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slowr1der
I thought he gave a little too much as well because a NIB one sold at an auction here a couple months back for $100, with some bullets, patches, etc. However, he already picked it up. Then I realized that he bought the .45 caliber and both the one you linked to as well as the one I saw sell were .50 calibers. I'm not sure if the .45 brings a premium or not, but maybe that's why it was more.

What I get for being impulsive. just Seemed like a good buy at $200. Oh well It was not a automobile. I'm going to shoot the heck out of it so I will be getting my money worth that away.Thank to all for the help and advise.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you end up with a primer stuck in your forehead. Come tell us so we can say... Told ya so!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bigblock455
If you end up with a primer stuck in your forehead. Come tell us so we can say... Told ya so!

"Come on man!"
More than a few fellas on modernmuzzleloader.com use BH209 extensively in their Knight plungers without problems.
Many of us have reported nothing but excellent results with the red FPJ 209's.

Things could be different with the NFPJ breechplug. I will not try BH209 (or any other sub) with it. My NFPJ breechplug is domed, and that's but one strike against it for BH209. I feel the magnet and primer/primer parts are not very well contained, so ANY powder load could cause it to sling ejecta from the action IMO.

I've never had a primer/FPJ come completely out of the action.
I've never had a primer come apart in any fashon from the FPJ.
Blowback is not severe, nor is it hard to clean up after a session.
I always wear eye protection regardless with my muzzleloaders. Even in the field.
Yes, I keep my powder charges BELOW 100grV. 1875fps through my chronograph is more than good enough for me using a 240gr bullet.
My rifle started giving me minor signs of pushing the FPJ back on the nipple at 110grV. The FPJ/primer never left the rifle. Never.
But that was enough for me and my individual rifle. I decided on 90grV or 95grV loads as my standard. 80/85grV produces plenty of velocity and is very accurate.
Of course, those numbers could vary per shooter and per rifle.
Yes, I shoot tight sabots, and have a Green Mountain 26" stainless tube.

The biggest concern for the OP here is that BH209 does not publish any loads for the .45 caliber. Therefore, our recommendation to him may be moot.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
And one of those fellas pulled a primer out of his forehead

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bigblock455
And one of those fellas pulled a primer out of his forehead

Cayuga (the poster who discussed his concerns with BH209 and plunger actions)OPENLY stated the event in question occured with a T/C Black Diamond. It was not from a Knight plunger with FPJ's. His experience with the T/C jaded him against all plunger actions.
That's his choice.

I challenge you to find ANY shooter who has "pulled a primer out of his forehead" while shooting A KNIGHT WOLVERINE USING FPJ 209's.

I am stating fact and MY experience, not hearsay and conjecture.
And I have the eroded FPJ breechplugs and empty bottles of BH209 to show.

Safe shooting to all.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,382
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.