Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Fly reel recommendations?

I�m looking for the obvious: best quality to price ratio in a fly reel. There are a blizzard of reels available. Must be large arbor, fairly light weight, take a nine wt line and 100 yards of preferably 30 lb. backing, have an exposed rim for palming. I�d like a good one way drag (outgoing only) or at least a stout enough clicker to keep from backlash if a fish does a spurt run when my hand isn�t palming the rim. A drag lets you at least have a break from palming the rim on long fights.

I've learned (been told by a knowledgeable person) that apparently none of the lower cost reels (under $100 and probably any under $150) have a drag that will stand up to even one season of use on fish of Coho size and power. The wonderfully light weight graphite Cortland I bought recently will make a delightful trout reel, but its drag power is down to half strength after about 20 pink salmon and one Chinook. I'm also told that none of the lower cost reels have replaceable parts for the drag.

Why couldn�t somebody build a low cost light weight graphite reel with a drop in drag replacement disc or even a replaceable self contained drag assembly? I�m no engineer but a fly reel is an incredibly simple device.

My habit when I get serious in such matters is to find out what is quality and what level of quality will satisfy me. Then I decide either to buy it and use it, or to not buy anything at all. In the latter case I'm neither willing to use junk nor willing to pay for the quality I want considering the minimal use I'll have for it.

So, your thoughts on the "best" reel(s)?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's true-- when you really use the drag, only the better (more expensive) reels really work. You can get away with any reel if the fish and the water are small. For larger trout, anything that goes on the reel, and definitely for steelhead or salmon, you need a good drag. (Actually, you can fish with whatever you want for a while-- but it's either gonna break or it's never gonna really provide drag.) I've been very happy with Ross reels. They are relatively inexpensive and the drags really work. Unfortunately, 8 wt is the cutoff for the lower priced reels (e.g., Cimarron). For 9 wt you'll need to go to the Canyon-- about $350-385 depending on which size you choose. Given the prices in this class of reels-- Abel super and Tibor are about $600-- that's a pretty good deal.

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have and use three Hardy Huskies, one of which is a multiplier. They get more use in a year than the average reel would see in a lifetime on big fish. The cork drags last far longer than one year... they all need replacing now, but they have been beaten and battered, saltwater washed and never rinsed.

They were pricey, but hardly expensive compared to many of the current expensive reels. I would do the ebay thing and buy more if these ever died.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
TRy the Teton reels they are cheaper and have a drag that can stop a train. They also make the Tioga reels with the same drag but not as fancy (they are cheaper still). Ebay has them often.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the input. I've been travelling, chasing critters, etc. Also have been doing my research. Will keep my eye open for a Hardy and check out the Treton.

FWIW Ross had emerged as the leader (until today) in my research for quality to price ratio. Two of their lower priced large arbor lightweight metal reels, the Rythym for just over $200 and the Evolution for about $330, get superb ratings by users, both in use and in factory service.

If you never use it in salt water, Okuma makes a magnesium reel called Magnitude that I saw for $89 that seems nice for the price. It and its heavier aluminum clone, the Integrity ($69) appear to have replaceable drag discs.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (257 roberts, alwaysoutdoors, 160user, 35, 10ring1, 7887mm08, 14 invisible), 1,500 guests, and 910 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,209
Posts18,503,888
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.