24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That being said..The new Vanguard is a better dollar value. Period.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll take the Howa/Vanguard all day.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
The primer cratering thing is something to do with a new bolt face design...its not the problem it appears to be...that being said though, we got a letter from Remington ( at the shop I work part-time in..) explaining it because so many people had noticed what you saw...including myself...looks for all the world like a sign of excess pressure, when all it is is a sign of excess remington engineeering.... wink

I smell bovine effluence in that letter, ingwe, and I'll bet you do, also. BS is BS, on stationery or not.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Remington wouldn't do that...would they??? whistle

Where is swampy when you need him?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think he's gone.Probably expounding over on the Ruger forum.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Given the price and quality, the Vanguard is hard to beat at the moment. Remington's declining quality standards don't support it's selection. The last ADL I handled reminded me of some crude Eastern bloc firearm unworthy of ownership.

Although the trigger on my youth Vanguard Series 1 is creepy, I can have it tuned or just bolt on an aftermarket trigger if I so desire. The stock and machining quality on the Vanguard bolt/barrel/action is good although the roll marks are butt ugly. The youth stock is stiff fiberglass and not injection molded junk. All in all it's a good option. I only paid $325 for a combo that included both a quality youth and junk adult stock.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Powder Burn, You might want to check that youth stock again. If that rifle came with two stocks not a spacer, the youth stock is a painted wood stock.

Steak, It's my favorite vegetable!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rrogers
Powder Burn, You might want to check that youth stock again. If that rifle came with two stocks not a spacer, the youth stock is a painted wood stock.

You may be right as the one I looked at was the regular stock and it was synthetic. I was simply told it came with a youth stock too. It carried the shorter barrelor otherwise I would have thought it was a regular vanguard. It wouldn't have mattered to me as the youth would more or likely made it's way to ebay as at 6'4 with long gangly arms I would have little use for a short stock. I did like the shorter barrel though.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You could buy the carbine. It is the same rifle with the older adult stock. I would not but the youth anymore unless it was for someone that will be of smaller stature for life because now it only has one stock and a spacer that you can put in between the stock and recoil pad. They look like crap imho.

Steak, It's my favorite vegetable!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As much as I do love my 700's, unless weight is an issue, I would definitely select the Vanguard over the 700.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a S2 in 7mm rm this fall and killed three deer with it. I also ordered a mcswirly for it at Christmas. The fit and finish and the machining on the vanguard is so far above the 700s ive had it Isn't even funny. The only 700 I have left is a 243 youth model that I bought for my wife and that is the only reason we still have it. It has a rough chamber and raises spot on the bolt face. Vanguard all the way.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Vanguard all the way.

C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Bought her a Weatherby but in youth stock. When we placed it side by side with a Remington there was no comparison needed.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Good Luck with it.

Two of my buds bought 3 Vangaurds. The triggers sucked on all 3 and all of them shot like crap. I can see one bad example of any brand, but after 3 duds there's no way I'd take the gamble.

One of my buds took both of his to a smith to have Timney's put in and both bedded. When he got them back one shot around an inch and the other shot 1.5-2" with everything he tried. Sent one down the road and kept the other for his son to hunt with. He was pissed to say the least, lessons learned....

Hopefully yours will be a totally different story.

Have a good one,

loder

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought my son the Vanguard , it will put 3 touching with factory federal ammo , fits him well and he loves it. I'd do it again, no regrets.

C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
My daughter's has an excellent trigger and shoots great.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a soft spot for Rem's. Light too! But those new VG's look solid. A tad heavy IMO though....

Taking my rifle for a walk
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
the other day...I bought some range brass (257wby!, super cheap too)

I KNEW it was shot from a remmy.

How ?

the crater around the primer, just like my Bud's .243 Rem.

"just saying"

OTOH, the Vanny plastic Stocks are....horrible IMHO. SO figure on stock upgrade cost.

Last edited by timbertoes; 01/25/12.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just bought my son a new original Vanguard from Cabela's for $340 in 30-06. He loves the rifle, the injection molded stock will be replaced with a B&C Medalist. I also handled the new Series 2 Vanguards and was very impressed with them.

C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 700 ADL .270 synthetic stock I bought new for $325.00 in 2004 at Cabela's. It came with a cheap Pine Ridge 3x9 scope. It also had open sights which you can't hardly get on a rifle anymore and I like them. Anyway the ADL was incredible accurate out of the box. I zeroed it to shoot 1" high at 100 yards and would shoot a cloverleaf. My brother-in-law has a Weatherby Mark V and a Winchester Model 70 with expensive Leupold and Nikon scopes, and when we shot together the ADL blew away his rifles in the accuracy dept. But things have changed. After experiencing a nightmare with Marlin over a new 30-30 I bought for my son I will not purchase a Remlin again. I think they are crap. After taking the Marlin apart, putting in a happy trigger and using 800 and 1200 grit paper on just about every part of the rifle it is a very nice rifle. Factor in the cost of the trigger and all of the man hours put in to it, it is not worth it. After comparing Vanguards side by side with Remingtons we purchased the Weatherby. Worse case scenario is I will have to drop a Timney in it which I feel confident I can do after installing a happy trigger in the Marlin. Then we will have a very fine rifle that in my opinion is a good as many rifles costing twice as much. By the way the Vanguard looks like it has controlled round feed as opposed to push feed. Is that true?

Thanks for all the responses.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (308ld, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 338reddog, 11 invisible), 1,120 guests, and 470 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,439
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.