Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i try to run 5 days a week. usually 3 miles. i used to do 5-6, but i'll be 62 very soon, and have settled on 3 to keep me limber and healthy. i switched to asics about 5 years ago, and they are all i wear to run. i have 2 pair, and alternate them. 2 pair will last me more than a year as i only wear them while running. good luck on your effort to start running again.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Here's a little bit different question. How do you stop shin splints when running? I can sprint or walk without problem, but slow running or jogging my shin splints get so bad I literally cannot lift my toes. It is quite discouraging.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Torque
Here's a little bit different question. How do you stop shin splints when running? I can sprint or walk without problem, but slow running or jogging my shin splints get so bad I literally cannot lift my toes. It is quite discouraging.

Stretch, stretch, stretch and stretch, make sure you are using the right shoe for your running style, and replace them accordingly.

Also, don't try and run further than you really can comfortably. I see people attempting to run 3 miles in an hour and a half when they should be trying to run one mile as quickly as they can. If you can't open up your stride you're beating the schit out of your self.

That's my opinion anyway. I'm not a doctor.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I decided to get into shape before I turned 40, I signed up to do an Ironman triathlon weighing 225 pounds.

I had to use Brooks Beast shoes to deal with being bigger.

Now, at a normal 180-185, with a neutral footfall, I am also in the Mizuno waverunner camp.

If you can, go to a RUNNING store, not a big-box store, and get fitted for your stride. Then, you can buy on-line from roadrunner etc... once you know your model and size.

I prefer to support the local running store though.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
When I used to lift more I used the Beast as well. It was a umm... beast... grin

Travis

IC B2

L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L

I only took a couple of months off. I hurt my right ankle at work and decided that a rest was in order.

I've been a runner for a long time and Asics used to be my brand. Then I started using Brooks and I like them a lot.

Anyway...

Originally Posted by hotsoup
i try to run 5 days a week. usually 3 miles. i used to do 5-6, but i'll be 62 very soon, and have settled on 3 to keep me limber and healthy. i switched to asics about 5 years ago, and they are all i wear to run. i have 2 pair, and alternate them. 2 pair will last me more than a year as i only wear them while running. good luck on your effort to start running again.

L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L

Yep, running is so good for you but it can tear you down as well. I do more and more running on a treadmill these days. I used to run on the roads or sidewalks but that beats the crap out of my knees. For some strange reason I can run on a treadmill and be fine but I can't stand running on a track. Go figure.

Originally Posted by wldthg
Landrum-- I started running --jogging in 1972-- In 1984 really got into it doing 5 k- 5 mile-- 10k -- 1/2 marathon and 30k races. Always finishing in the middle of the pack. I'd buy 2 pair at a time and keep track of mileage-- 500 miles and they were shot-- Knee and hip pain. In about 2000 I quit running outside and forced myself into a fitness center. I now only walk at a fast pace on a treadmill inclined and used an elliptical -- Some of my running friends I used to run with can't run anymore. Years of running has taken it's toll on their bodies. I really miss running outside but for my health the fitness center is a life saver. Web

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
When I used to run in regular shoes, I pretty much only used ASICS. I've done only barefoot or minimalist shoes for the past 2 years and when I need shoes I use either five fingers or Merrell trail gloves. I'll never go back to regular running shoes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hate treadmill running....it's boring and you don't get nearly as much out of it as ground contact running....your just picking them up and putting them down.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Reebok Reflex's are still going strong. I bought them in October and run a few miles everyday.

I used cheap crappy shoes before and went through them in a month. These Reebok's are nice and pretty light weight.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are going to get 300 to 600 miles out of a shoe. No need to buy expensive stuff either. I ran New Balance MT101s all last year and could usually find them under 65 bucks.

As for injury prevention. Get off the roads and start trail running. Softer surface and a mixed gait go a long ways to easing stess on the body. Humans weren't designed to run on concrete.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Me too Landrum, I weigh around 250 and told the little Wifey many years ago I will not be a jogger, now thats not to say I wont trot to the kitchen when she hollers laugh

I do sometimes grind out a hard walk on her treadmill, 3.5 mph at 15 degrees for a couple miles is good sleep

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,664
Posts18,493,671
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.