-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that is a barely post war or during war 300 EG but I assume the extra checkering is not factory though it is very well done. The more interesting part of that gun is the dual safeties. I really should take that gun out hunting as I never have but it would be a good one.

The gun behind it on the right is a 308F with the same dual safety modification.

here is a close up, early enough to have the EG stamped in the front of the frame. Serial is 427xxx. Someone else would be much better at dating then I would.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Andrew
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a few of mine set up with scopes:

1946 .250 EG with Leupold M7 3X in Stiths
[Linked Image]

1950s .250 R set up with a Leupold M8 4X in old Leupold Model 3 mounts
[Linked Image]

1946 30-30 R/T with Lyman Alaskan in 7/8" Stiths
[Linked Image]

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Very nice, RAS...I especially like those vintage glasses mounted in Stiths....Here's mine...the scope is about the right age for my '52 99, but the mounts are Weaver (it was D&T'd when I bought it). Rod Pic of one of its tgts...and the other was just purdy...summer on my range, I call it. It's 25 to the rail, 50 to the right and 100 to the left...good hay there! Rod

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thank a vet for your freedoms to worship, assemble, speech and vote. Preachers, politicians, journalists, and other elected officials had nothing to do with it.
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Rod,

That 250 EG looks EXACTLY like mine with the setup and scope. I had Leupold put in a duplex and change the glass for me on my M7. It is perfect now. You have some beautiful rifles.

Drew,

Is that a sling swivel on the front rifle? If so, I want to warn you that this is going to get some unpleasant sneers at the Savage Fest. What other surprises are there behind those pillows? I hope there isnt a recoil pad festival going on there. smile Just kidding. You also have some beautiful rifles.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice looking scoped 99s. Keep them coming guys.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAS
Rod,

That 250 EG looks EXACTLY like mine with the setup and scope. I had Leupold put in a duplex and change the glass for me on my M7. It is perfect now. You have some beautiful rifles.

Drew,

Is that a sling swivel on the front rifle? If so, I want to warn you that this is going to get some unpleasant sneers at the Savage Fest. What other surprises are there behind those pillows? I hope there isnt a recoil pad festival going on there. smile Just kidding. You also have some beautiful rifles.

Jeff, that front right one has sling swivels but I sold it (sans the stith) to someone here, it is a 300EG also. The back right is a 308F with the dual safety. And I just can not remember what the other F is... maybe a 250??? It was a few years ago.

One thing I can promise is that none had butt pads!!! laugh laugh

Andrew
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was in a shop today and saw a model you guys would be interested in. I think it was a T or RT, fore end looked like the R/T above, but I don't know those well yet. They thought it was a pre-war R but it lacked the lines on the fore end. Very nice shape, looked unaltered except, sling studs, and had a scope mounted in the front dovetail and again at the drilled and tapped left side at the rear where you normally see a peep. I hadn't seen a mount like it, and the rifle was dang nice. Don't remember the scope, vintage for sure, small diameter. Anybody want the shops name PM me and it's yours. Oh, $825 on the tag. I think it fell in the 350,000-400,000 range for a T, but I should have been more studious for your sake. grin

I had a good afternoon chasing Savages.

Last edited by Fireball2; 01/24/12.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if you get back there try to snap a picture. Would be pretty late for an old style scope and mount. An RT would be well into the 400,000s so probably a T.

Did it have a lot more checkering on the foearm than a post war R or EG?

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sound like a T

R/T would have been in 43xxxx's

did the back scope base use the factory drilled holes in the tang or holes drilled into the side of the receiver?

Pends on caliber, but a T would have a 22" barrel in 300 and 20" in other barrels. Pre war R would be 24" barrel in 300, 22" in the other calibers.

Last edited by 99guy; 01/24/12.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lovemy99
if you get back there try to snap a picture. Would be pretty late for an old style scope and mount. An RT would be well into the 400,000s so probably a T.

Did it have a lot more checkering on the foearm than a post war R or EG?

Drew,
I don't know on the checkering. And I could be wrong on the serial range, but I think not. probably won't get back, spent my 99 stash today!

Last edited by Fireball2; 01/24/12.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy
Sound like a T

R/T would have been in 43xxxx's

did the back scope base use the factory drilled holes in the tang or holes drilled into the side of the receiver?

Pends on caliber, but a T would have a 22" barrel in 300 and 20" in other barrels. Pre war R would be 24" barrel in 300, 22" in the other calibers.

As I said, I wasn't being studious enough. I was quivering over a custom 250-3000. The rear scope base used holes on the left side of the receiver where you often see aftermarket peeps mounted, non factory. BUT, really nice assembly there and had a 3/8" or so round knob with a screw slot for tightening or perhaps adjusting height? I can tell you the barrel was probably 22", 300 Savage, the rifle was light and delightful, hence my assumption T. Like I said, it was super clean, vintage setup, no one would be ashamed of. Scope was small diameter and name brand I'd heard of but forgotten already. Surprisingly clear and plenty useful, although not a low light setup I suspect. Anybody wants to check it out I think they'd take a little less, they deal a bit. Nice rifle in my eyes.

LOL
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Really sweet.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
This is the only scoped Savage 99 that I have but Jeff wants it for his collection. LOL!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by XLTFX4; 01/24/12.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

My scoped 99's...24 of them....

the first pic...left to right:
first 5 are EG's with stith mounts..No holes drilled.
next 5 are model F's.
lasr 3 are model R's.

second pic...left to right:
first 3 are custom 99's.
next 4 are E's.
then a 358 brushgun.
next is a model C in 22-250.
then a model E in 243.
last one is an EG in 250-300 with a williams side mount.

Joe

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Rich,

Yes, I would like that rifle and mostly because it came from you. Again, look real hard at that 30-30!

I will email you again real soon.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey Boswellbuckhunter
Nice collection! Quick put them away... before the young one grabs one of those books and they all go over like dominoes!!

"Deer Camp... how can you not like this place?!?"
Is it November 15th yet???
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Boswell,

Nice line of boom sticks there!

RAS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'm all Weaver on this 99A. This scope is excellent too.

Weaver K4-1 USA (Micro-track)
Weaver Top Mount Aluminum Bases
Weaver Detachable Top Mount Steel/Aluminum Rings

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What calibre is your 99A saddle gun?
I gave my minty ( said to be unfired ) 99A, 308win to my step son. He has now decided he would rather have my as new BRNO model 2. So we have done a swap and the saddle gun is coming home. Sure wish it was 250 or 300 savage

Johno

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
.308WIN. Loaded up or down .308 is always a performer. I favor all the .308 based cartridges in most rifles.

This rifle is a 1979 99A. Was about mint condition when I picked it up just this past summer. Too nice to be a truck gun but it's a nice shooter so it will get a ton of use around here. And it's a keeper... smile

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.