Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Without question I would if I was to have one.

GB1

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
After reading the weight specs and the price of the rifles on the Winchester site; I doubt I'll buy one even though I have permission from my wife. I already have a 8.5 lb. 270 that I don't have to spend $2000 or more to buy.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If I had one I'd hunt it hard. Problem is too many other wants to justify another .270.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Sure, doesn't everyone need a rainy day, truck gun?

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ingwe

Are they planning on making it in anything but a .270...?

Running for cover and my NOMEX suit now...... eek

My flame-thrower will reach a LONG way........... grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just got back from the SHOT show and looked at the JOC Model 70's. They had no printed handouts about them, but had a display with both grades hanging under Jack's original #2 .270 lightweight Biesen gun. Jack's gun was certainly not molly-coddled---the floor plate was worn silver from being carried, the scope was somewhat battered and the barrel had definite scratch marks in places:

[Linked Image]

...you can see the wear on the scope:
[Linked Image]

...an up close of the checkered bolt and pistol grip which wraps over the top of the stock:
[Linked Image]

...here are the two offerings followed by the descriptive tags:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I was looking at Jack's original gun and not paying attention to an older guy sitting at a table out in front of the display. He said, "why don't you take it down and look at it?" To make a long story intolerable---it was Bradford O'Connor---he got up, took the rifle down and handed it to me--then graciously posed for a couple of pics with me.

[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/gmoats/Picture063.jpg[/img]
....what a gracious guy---had a good sense of humor too. The next day I brought an old Marine Corps buddy of mine to show him the guns. While we're looking at the original rifle, Bradford said, "we're thinking about selling it, what do you think, how about $800?"

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mr Moats - uh....uh....uh, I am almost speechless. I've read and absorbed this post since @ 4:30 pm CST and am still ....

I ASSUME you own that rifle ? ? ? (if he was serious, and it sounds like it).

What a privilege to meet Brad O AND he's a nice guy.

If he was serious, I would give $800. for that rifle QUICKER than I would a NEW COMMERATIVE, $1500. or $2000. not withstanding.

W O W ! ! !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jwall
Mr Moats - uh....uh....uh, I am almost speechless. I've read and absorbed this post since @ 4:30 pm CST and am still ....

If he was serious, I would give $800. for that rifle QUICKER than I would a NEW COMMERATIVE, $1500. or $2000. not withstanding.

W O W ! ! !

....it was said in the nature of someone asking you if you want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge for $50----there was no doubt that he was joking----besides, he (the family) had received it and Jack's trophies back from the University of Idaho and re-gifted them to the JOC Hunting and Education Center so it's not really his to sell w/o some legal manipulation.

www.jack-oconnor.org

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
gmoats,

Many thanks for posting those pictures. I now realize how much my Al Biesen .270 resembles Jack O'Connor's rifle:

[Linked Image]

I think I'll just keep using it and probably won't buy a commenerative.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
gmoats,

Many thanks for posting those pictures. I now realize how much my Al Biesen .270 resembles Jack O'Connor's rifle:

[Linked Image]

I think I'll just keep using it and probably won't buy a commenerative.

....will you take $800 for it??? laugh laugh laugh
....that's a seriously beautiful rifle WoodsyAl.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks! I don't know what it would take for me to part with it, but it would be way more than it is really worth. Expect my heirs will decide. grin

Al

Spend your life wisely.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Why wouldn't a guy use a rifle he owns?

I use my Pre '64 Mod '70/Super Grade in 270 Winchester all the time even with the old Weaver K-4.

[Linked Image]

Jayco

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gmoats

....it was said in the nature of someone asking you if you want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge for $50----there was no doubt that he was joking----besides, he (the family) had received it and Jack's trophies back from the University of Idaho and re-gifted them to the JOC Hunting and Education Center so it's not really his to sell w/o some legal manipulation.

www.jack-oconnor.org

Well, that's easily understood. However sometimes we lose something from printed word to vocal word. I would still consider it a privilege to HOLD one of JOCs rifles and to meet Brad. It sounds like he has a good sense of humor.

Thanks for posting the pics and story.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

C
C
Originally Posted by jwall

W O W ! ! !

www.jack-oconnor.org

For the record, I do own the No.2 and it is on loan to the O'Connor Center. I could sell it tomorrow, but won't. When I shuffle off to Buffalo, it will become property of the center. Until I go to that great reward, I will exercise my visitation rights to shoot it, to hunt with or merely fondle it.

Bradford O'Connor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by logcutter
Why wouldn't a guy use a rifle he owns?

I use my Pre '64 Mod '70/Super Grade in 270 Winchester all the time even with the old Weaver K-4.

[Linked Image]

Jayco

Ya, Ya, I would too, I would too!

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mr. O'Connor, NO ONE deserves to own that rifle more than you do. The rest of us are just grateful for your father's articles and books. (I still re-read his books from time-to-time and still have a dog-eared 1957 Outdoor Life because of one of his articles.)

Thank you for sharing some of his legacy with the rest of us who never had the privilege of knowing him personally.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here are a few shots of my Biesen "O'Connor #2" copy. I hunt with it, and I will not sell it for $800. grin

I had the opportunity to handle the original in Jackson Hole a few years back when it was traveling around in the Leupold display with Jack's trophies. My wife snapped some photos of me with the rifle and they hang on the wall of my library.

Chet

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Chetaf; 01/25/12.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by campfire_olgeezer

For the record, I do own the No.2 and it is on loan to the O'Connor Center. I could sell it tomorrow, but won't. When I shuffle off to Buffalo, it will become property of the center. Until I go to that great reward, I will exercise my visitation rights to shoot it, to hunt with or merely fondle it.

Bradford O'Connor

Pardon me if I don't call you "olegeezer". It's an honor to correspond with you. You have only made 12 post since '08, how about visiting more often?

I remember your Dad mentioning you in some of his writings. Obviously I never had the privilege of meeting him. He influenced me as thousands of others.

THANKS for the pics of his rifle & YOURSELF. I appreciate it more than you know.

Don't be a stranger here:

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
...For the record, I do own the No.2 and it is on loan to the O'Connor Center. I could sell it tomorrow, but won't. When I shuffle off to Buffalo, it will become property of the center. Until I go to that great reward, I will exercise my visitation rights to shoot it, to hunt with or merely fondle it.

Bradford O'Connor

oops, blush sorry I got that detail incorrect---I was going off of the story that the guy from the JOC H&E Center told me. At any rate, thanks for your graciousness, meeting you was the highlight of the SHOT show for me!!
Greg

C
C
...For the record, I do own the No.2 and it is on loan to the O'Connor Center. I could sell it tomorrow, but won't. When I shuffle off to Buffalo, it will become property of the center. Until I go to that great reward, I will exercise my visitation rights to shoot it, to hunt with or merely fondle it.

Bradford O'Connor

oops, blush sorry I got that detail incorrect---I was going off of the story that the guy from the JOC H&E Center told me. At any rate, thanks for your graciousness, meeting you was the highlight of the SHOT show for me!!

Gosh, I don't know what to say other than it was my pleasure to meet you.

--Bradford
Greg

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.