Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ab_bentley
Neckerchif = Scarf

I haven't heard that one in a long time!

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Babushka also = scarf and babushka also = grandmother.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Interesting thread.......I had the displeasure (for me) of living in Georgia for a few years. I am very glad to back in Pittsburgh. Some can talk the 'Burgh down but everyone has a home and the 'Burgh is it to me!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by PeteD

Towns - Jersey Shore - and not anywhere near an ocean.

Shortly after I moved from Clearfield county to near Philly, I was watching the evening news. The anchorman said something about the Jersey shore office. My first thought was 'Why in the hell would a Philly TV station have an office in Jersey Shore?' Then I realized they meant the NEW Jersey shore.

Dale

This space for rent

Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Funny this thread came about this week. I was talking to a customer at work the other day and after a few words came out of my mouth he says 'Are you from the Philly area?', it's been yrs since I lived there but it's stuck with me.

I miss Tastykakes and Hogies!!!!!

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Elf
Funny this thread came about this week. I was talking to a customer at work the other day and after a few words came out of my mouth he says 'Are you from the Philly area?', it's been yrs since I lived there but it's stuck with me.

Comedian Pete Barbutti used to talk about Tastykakes during his routines on the Tonight Show.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Shrubbush = any bush for which you don't know the name.

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
Karl Wallenda
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Coldbore,

I'm not far at all from Slippery Rock myself. Drive through it every day for work. Love some Ginger Hill and North Country Brewing. Fiance's uncle was chief of University Police for years.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
35 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is Ginger hill a beer?
I went to elementery school at Ginger Hill.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by battue
Coal was king in Pa. and kept many just barely alive.

Downside was it ruined many premier Trout waters to the point they will never return. Sulfur and whatnot will continue forever to flow out of those flooded shafts.

Black lung and yellow cricks..... sick

yep and wild cat mines that would scare Big John.

So many enlisted like my father did in the 30's
And became the old men and leaders during the fights.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
ummm tasty kakes!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Coal was certainly and is still king. In SW PA,it was shaft mined and stripped mines. At my folk's old place when I visit,I can stand and pretty much look in 360 degrees andonly see reclaimed strip mines.

Now they are high walling the coal pillars that were left after they shaft mined the coal.These pillars were used to keep the over burben from falling in.Now a hydraulic operated wall is erected and the coal is mined out of those pillars. When done,the wall is stepped over to the next pillar and the earth behind it falls in.Of course,everything topside falls in and many homes have been demolished because of it.

Home wells also.My brother lost his well and the coal comany had to haul his water for two years. After that he was on his own and now trucks it in.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mom was from Shamokin and my aunt and uncle lived there. Couldn't hang clothes out on a real windy day or the dust off the culm banks would get 'em dirty again. Shamokin Creek has two branches; one all muddy, the other all black, and a hell of a mess down stream. The Glen Burn colliery is still there, but for how long I don't know. If any of you get to Ashland, the Pioneer Tunnel coal mine is a great tour.
http://www.pioneertunnel.com/home.shtml

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Partagas
Do any of yinz know of any Blough's from sw PA? The only ones out here are my relatives but there is a whole pile of them around the Johnstown Somerset area. Even a town named Blough.

I live and grew up in Boswell, which is only a few miles from Blough...I know hundreds of people with the name Blough...and when I was a Junior in highschool, I dated Doris Blough.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[quote=Partagas]My dad's family is from Holsopple near Boswell and Jerome between Johnstown and Somerset. He and both of brothers moved out to Wyoming in the late 60's. I then grew up hearing the accents and eating gobs. Red the table, a rift is apparently a belch.

Tell your family I said hello....I'm betting I know them?????????????
I was born and raised and still live in Boswell. Spent alot of time in Jerome and Hollsopple drinking beer and playing softball............

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
most of that stuff is philly slang. real pennsylvanians realize the eastern border should have been the schulkill river and not the delaware.

daahn er an at

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by boswellbuckhunter
[quote=Partagas]My dad's family is from Holsopple near Boswell and Jerome between Johnstown and Somerset. He and both of brothers moved out to Wyoming in the late 60's. I then grew up hearing the accents and eating gobs. Red the table, a rift is apparently a belch.

Tell your family I said hello....I'm betting I know them?????????????
I was born and raised and still live in Boswell. Spent alot of time in Jerome and Hollsopple drinking beer and playing softball............

drank many a beer at the Kings & Queens and Emerald Inn on way to camp. that burger king in boswell is the dirtiest fast food restaurant i was ever in. they must be paying the health dept off or something.

My diploma is a DD214
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by shootinurse
A friend's son was a SEAL master chief. Several times, he was given a task, told to pick his team, and asked where he wanted to train. He said "Sullivan County, PA." Everyone said "Where?" He said, "Exactly." They bunked at his mom's house, planned there mission, did some fly fishing, had ice cream at the Sweet Shop in Eagles Mere, and then did the job.
My dad's hunting camp was in Sullivan County...Nordmont to be exact. I loved that place growing up as a kid and am seriously considering it as my retirement spot.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Elf
And scrapple!!

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think I could live on scrapple and buckwheat cakes, and dippy eggs. With birch beer at lunch and Yngling's at supper!

MAGA
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1badf350, 257 roberts, 16penny, 1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 1,977 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,887
Posts18,497,893
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.