Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
C
Originally Posted by Chetaf
Here are a few shots of my Biesen "O'Connor #2" copy. I hunt with it, and I will not sell it for $800. grin

I had the opportunity to handle the original in Jackson Hole a few years back when it was traveling around in the Leupold display with Jack's trophies. My wife snapped some photos of me with the rifle and they hang on the wall of my library.

Chet

Chet:
Your rifle has me salivating. I'd love to learn more about it. Please email me at cirpi at aol dot com.

Bradford

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by campfire_olgeezer

For the record, I do own the No.2 and it is on loan to the O'Connor Center. I could sell it tomorrow, but won't. When I shuffle off to Buffalo, it will become property of the center. Until I go to that great reward, I will exercise my visitation rights to shoot it, to hunt with or merely fondle it.

Bradford O'Connor

Well, from one old geezer to another, your father had impeccable taste.

I grew up reading his stuff for decades and hearing from that and others about Al Biesen's outstanding work. Some time ago, I was fortunate enough to get an example, a LH butt stock done by Al for Jim Bell on the H&H 500/450 double that I later acquired, one of the many old doubles that Jim had picked up in India.

Now, I have never had a hankering for tribute or commemorative guns, since they are mostly an excuse to charge more money for something that isn't selling. Witness the dozens of Winchester 94 commemoratives. One of the guys I hunted in Africa with in the 80's had collected most of them. His cousin, also along and a longtime gun dealer, thought that was a ridiculous waste of money, and it was.

On the other hand, I must confess that the JO'C Model 70 stirs my juices in a way that none of the others do. This is a nice one.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Chetaf
Here are a few shots of my Biesen "O'Connor #2" copy. I hunt with it, and I will not sell it for $800. grin

I had the opportunity to handle the original in Jackson Hole a few years back when it was traveling around in the Leupold display with Jack's trophies. My wife snapped some photos of me with the rifle and they hang on the wall of my library.

Chet

Chet:
Your rifle has me salivating. I'd love to learn more about it. Please email me at cirpi at aol dot com.

Bradford

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bradford,

Email sent.

Thanks,
Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While the idea is one that I've championed for a few years one of my concerns with the rig is that it's gonna be too thick in the rear end of the handle. Could be wrong but I wonder about it.

On a side note, I'd kind of like to have a M70 FWT of present day. Then have Ingwe do away with the French Whorehouse schnabble on front and adorn it with a black forend like he did on his .270...grin

I must say that his rig that he redid is about as nice a M70 I've groped in a long time. (course aside from a Pre/Fwt in an Edge)

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Mark R Dobrenski)

On a side note, I'd kind of like to have a M70 FWT of present day. Then have Ingwe do away with the French Whorehouse schnabble on front and adorn it with a black forend like he did on his .270...grin

Dober[/quote]

WELL, I don't know how old you are, but I remember nearly all the gun writers
DECRYING the black fore end tips like the plague.

I guess there really is NO way to please everybody.

Maybe my darkside is showing itself, but I prefer the "French Whorehouse" end
over any black TIP. A black tip on walnut is like "an elevator in an outhouse", it don't belong IMHO. But I'll still be your friend.
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

On a side note, I'd kind of like to have a M70 FWT of present day. Then have Ingwe do away with the French Whorehouse schnabble on front and adorn it with a black forend like he did on his 7x57 ...grin

I must say that his rig that he redid is about as nice a M70 I've groped in a long time.

Dober

Fixt it for you...bish.

Oh, BTW your zebra stock is almost done...the hot pink background is skookum... whistle

ANDDDDDDDD I did a little rasping to install a schnable forend on it for ya! grin

Last edited by ingwe; 01/26/12.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Chet:

Bradford

Bradford,

I had a friend ask me what the mounts and rings were that are on your rifle:
[Linked Image]

I seem to remember your dad mentioning that they were Buehler, but not sure based on this pic.

Thanks,
Greg

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
C
C
Originally Posted by gmoats
Chet:

Bradford

Bradford,

[Linked Image]

I seem to remember your dad mentioning that they were Buehler, but not sure based on this pic.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg: Tilden mounts.

Bradford O

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Bradford O

....thank you.
G

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Bradford,

Like many folks my age, I grew up devouring every piece of your father's writing I could get my hands on. He was a great influence on me. Earlier in this thread, I posted a picture of my rifle built by Al Biesen that is a bit of a "look alike" to your rifle. I treasure it. And I thought a lot about your dad when I took it to Kyrgyzstan in 2007.

[Linked Image]

Al

Spend your life wisely.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Maybe not a Jack O'Connor but I may get my uncles'old Sears 270 bolt gun that looks very vintage. Not sure if it's worth anything but it's a shooter. If not I'll be using my trusty '06 or my '24 vintage 99 Savage 250-3000.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Bradford,

[Linked Image]

Thanks,
Greg

Bradford O

Did Jack use the Tilden's or are these replacement mounts????---I thought he was a fan of Buehlers----have I got that wrong???---as you know, I often to jump to incorrect conclusions!!
blush

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Two of Jack's books, "Rifles and Shotguns"(1961) & "The Hunting Rifle"(1970), mention with accompanying photos both Tilden and Buehler mounts and rings. It appears he used other brands of mounts as well, such as Redfield, Stith and Griffin & Howe.

Last edited by 3dtestify; 01/28/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Bradford,

[Linked Image]

Thanks,
Greg

Bradford O

Did Jack use the Tilden's or are these replacement mounts????---I thought he was a fan of Buehlers----have I got that wrong???---as you know, I often to jump to incorrect conclusions!!
blush

Jack used a lot of different mounts over the years, but according to everything I have read, his #2 270 always had the Tilden mounts.

Chet

Last edited by Chetaf; 01/30/12.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It does not appear to have the factory floorplate opener either. Did he not find that to his liking?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope. He used custom steel bottom metal to replace the factory aluminum.

Chet

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Does the rifle come with those [bleep] up little glasses also?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Does the rifle come with those [bleep] up little glasses also?

Jezzs I hope so. crazy --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, If I can put my hands on one and buy it, I would hunt with it. I think Jack would of wanted it that way.

He had a eye for a nice gun with good wood. He used them for hunting as we should too.

I too grew up reading his writing always a great read.
I felt like I was right there with him in hunting camp.

Now I think I will pull out my JOC books and give them another read.

You all have a nice day.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
jwall,

In general the post-'64 Featherweights are lighter than the pre-'64s, which are trimmer and lighter, and partly because the originals had iron sights. But the difference isn't much. Right now I have an iron-sighted push-feed Featherweight .270 and a pre-'64 .30-06, and they weigh within an ounce of each other with 6x36 Leupolds mounted.

Their weight? Right around 7-3/4 pounds. I dunno what's wrong with a 7-3/4 pound hunting rifle.

John, I weighed both the tribute and custom and both came in at slightly more than 7.6 pounds. Oddly, the custom weighed an ounce or two more than the standard with its rubber butt pad. The difference, I think, is due to the denser higher-grade wood on the custom.

Bradford

Last edited by campfire_olgeezer; 07/19/12.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.