Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lovemy99
my response was to Roy who asked about the effect on the "oiled stock"... just clarifying the relative newbie... I know YOU know!! laugh laugh

I agree with keeping the wool off the stock... just seems like a bad idea to me on a varnish finish but I am no expert... I have also heard of complaints of steel wool leaving (impregnating the wood) minor steel fibers and then later the gun looking spotty from the small fibers rusting...

That's some valid info there. Wouldn't want rust spots on a finish. Thanks Drew.

LOL
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's why one should never use steel wool when finishing/refinishing any piece of wood.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
That's why one should never use steel wool when finishing/refinishing any piece of wood.
Agree. They all so can work down to the action and being so fine are the first to rust up in all the tight spots.

A bore is a man that opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. -Henry Ford.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If it's really mucky, then the Murphy's Oil Soap gets the nod, followed by waxing. The whole idea is to conserve it, not alter it- and steel wool and cleansers will alter it, to one degree or another. My buddy who is a Conservator with the Smithsonian said that the first thing they did with a newbie was take the steel wool away from him.

Excellent suggestions!

"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
All:

I had to go out of town on business and this is the first chance I have had to check the forums since my original post- thanks for all of the great suggestions!

My goal is only to clean and restore proper function, as I would like to shoot it occasionally.

I have not started on it yet, it will probably be another week or two until I have some free time. I will post some before and after pics, and BillR I will PM you with the serial number.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and advise!

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 16penny, 27 invisible), 2,016 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,268
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.