Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has a lot to do with rural vs urban. With that said, a lot of folks in the Dakotas are pretty proud to be on the recieving end and will fight hard to keep it that way.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Was it true in 2005? Who knows and who cares,really? It's 2012.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Farm Bill, wind power, ethanol. Lot of republicans are big fans 'round these parts.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Isaac,

Do you think the ratio of federal taxes to federal benefits changes that much?

My guess is that Nevada is now receiving more than it sends.

Do any of the other state look wrong to you?

Sycamore

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Don't forget payments in lieu of taxes. States with huge areas of federal land, like Idaho for example, receive these payments from the feds because they can't generate any taxes on federal lands. These payments throw off the stats on states with lots of public land.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Don't forget payments in lieu of taxes. States with huge areas of federal land, like Idaho for example, receive these payments from the feds because they can't generate any taxes on federal lands. These payments throw off the stats on states will lots of public land.

states also get money for tribal land over 5% of the land in Montana is tribal and the state can not collect taxes on it.....almost 30% of the state is federal land which the state cannot collect taxes on.....so almost 35% of land in the state Montana cannot collect taxes on....

Last edited by rattler; 01/25/12.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Population vs land mass. Sheep flock.

Last edited by 280shooter; 01/25/12.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Payments are not categorizes.

Billions spent in LA for Mississippi River work by the Corps of Engineers.

That's a "payment" to these guys.

The list makes no distinction between necessary and proper (defense) and un-necessary and improper (welfare) government payments.

Which makes it useless.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and keep in mind that 35% of Montana belonging to the Feds the feds want roads on so they pay the state to build roads on it and do other improvements......most the over the top funds Montana gets are for road projects IIRC.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They don't have anybody living on that federal land needing state/county services either, right? (excluding reservations)

Sycamore

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tennessee in 2005, probably alot of folks getting paid NOT to grow tobacco. It's still going on.

Never appeal to a mans "better side", he may not have one.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have 97,100 square miles with 550,000 people, so per capita numbers are going to get skewed. But, it's ok with me if the feds want to allow I-80 and I-25 turn back into dirt paths, stop maintaining Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, pull their nuke missiles out of the ground, and stop pushing wolves down our throats. A lot of those things are not providing a disproportionate benefit to the people of the state. A lot of it is for people passing through, a federal cram-down agenda, or the common defense. While they're at it, they can give our state all the federal lands that were withheld when the state was admitted to the union and take it off the expense books. Then everyone can be happy.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
they have roads and such running through every piece of federal land of any real size i can think of......and the feds want the roads around so it can be accessed by them and everyone else.....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nope, nobody living there, but lots of roads that need maintained and plowed in the winter. Search and rescue eats off of the local tax base.

Another thing not mentioned is oil and mineral revenues that are paid on public lands. The BLM (Bureau of Land Management) witnesses the calibration of the gas and liquid production measurement because they get a percentage of the money generated.

The revenue they get there isn't counted as taxes...

Last edited by Porkypine; 01/25/12.

I am not ppine, please don't confuse me with him....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NV is 87% Federal land, and most of the Federal money we receive is for highways that everyone uses.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce β€œThe Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Need to remind you , Mark Twain I believe it was said " There's lies, damn lies and statistics".

I am not ppine, please don't confuse me with him....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nevada gives more than it gets, and is about 90% Federal land. shoots that theory in the foot.
I suspect the reason we don't get more is that Harry Reid is too busy representing the Democratic party rather than the state he's elected to represent. Beats me, how he holds his seat, other than in the last election, when the Tea Partiers put up the most inept, unelectable candidate they could find.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When a state gets millions for roads, don't they hire people, and buy diesel, and aggregate and asphalt, and hire contractors locally?

Or does uncle sam just show up by himself on a rubber-tired roller, create an interstate, and go home?

Sycamore

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
they bid it out......usually in-state companies get the contracts.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (2500HD, 21, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 27 invisible), 1,768 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,492,998
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.