Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I always thought a pole cat was a skunk. Remember Pepe le Pew. Le Pole Cat!

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rob p
I always thought a pole cat was a skunk. Remember Pepe le Pew. Le Pole Cat!

[b][color:#3333FF]Spotted Skunk is[/color][/b] usually mis-labeled as the pole cat...

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yeah, down here we call 'em pole or civet cats......

Edit!!!!

Least the ol' folks do..... Youngens dunno what we're talkin' about....

BN

Last edited by kaywoodie; 01/24/12.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
id have to be starving to death to eat one of those oversized rats. i was trapping coons one time around my grandmas garden and caught a opossum. was gonna turn him loose but the ungrateful varment hissed at me showd me those teeth and i wasnt about to let him out alive. i went grabed my 22 rifle walked to the cage shot him. only opossum ive ever shot but that was the only one ive had act like that.

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
My Grandmother on my Father's side used to cook one "for my boys" (there were four of them plus four girls) along with the turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Someone would catch one and then they'd put it in a cage and feed it table scraps for several weeks as Rob p mentions to "clean it out." I was really young but as I remember, it was pretty greasy and sorta tasted like dark meat of guess what... a chicken. Really.

I and my brothers and sister were spending the night at my other Grandmother's house one Friday night and they would let us stay up late to watch the "Untouchables" or something like that. Anyhow I was sitting on one side of the den and out of the corner of my eye I caught motion between a chair and the couch. I started watching and sure enough "there's a rat!!!" going back and forth between the couch and the chair. Turns out it was a baby 'possum about the size of the one pictured above. A pair had gotten in a small hole in one of the eaves and had a litter. Well we caught that one and kept it for a while, let it hang by its tail on a finger, scare all the girls in the neighborhood, etc. and then turned it loose after a week or so. We all still laugh about that episode because our Grandmother was just mortified that she could have a 'possum in her house.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck we had possum whenwe were kids too.

Possum, armadillo, and frog.

Now we just eat frog.

but

We used knives to skin them.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Grampa said "When he sulls (plays dead), put your foot on his head, grab the tail and pop his neck." It works but I pop 'em with a .22.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have cooked and eaten many things, but the possum I tried smelled like dead gizzard shad. I'm sure it was what he probably lived on that time of year. I tried one bite, haven't had the urge since. Marty

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Growing up trapping I learned that no possum is truly dead until he relaxes or stretches. I knew this but shot one in a foot hold 9 times with a 22 rifle. I figured there was no way he could still be alive but he never relaxed. I cut the wire and threw him over my shoulder and off I went. Sumbitch came back to life and crawled up my jacket and was sitting on my shoulders when I noticed him. I beat that thing off every tree in the forest on my way home.

Another time I did the same thing with a red fox. You would be amazed at how fast a red fox can run with a 1 1/2 coil spring on his foot. Took me the better part of the day to chase him down.

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Growing up trapping I learned that no possum is truly dead until he relaxes or stretches. I knew this but shot one in a foot hold 9 times with a 22 rifle. I figured there was no way he could still be alive but he never relaxed. I cut the wire and threw him over my shoulder and off I went. Sumbitch came back to life and crawled up my jacket and was sitting on my shoulders when I noticed him. I beat that thing off every tree in the forest on my way home.

That made me chuckle...grin thanks!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Never eaten possum, but I'll try damned near anything once. More if it's good. wink A buddy of mine once went out back to clean a brace of ducks he'd shot with me that morning. Found a 'possum with his face in the breast meat of the second mallard. Jim yells at the thing. 'Possum turned, bloody faced and snarled, then sort of jumped at Jim. Jim of course went inside and got his Buckmark, but by the time he went back outside the 'possum was halfway across the backyard with one of the ducks in its mouth. Jim said he let it walk that time (A+ for effort, and balls), but any other incidents would not be looked upon kindly, and would rate a death penalty.

BTW, am I the only one who thought that video was ridiculous? Talk about an impractical/improper tool for the job. Hell, a sharp edged rock would've done a better job in the half hour he took. Talk about a hatchet job!

That is the guy from 'dual survival', I believe. Y'know, the one whose partner goes around in the bush without shoes...

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I used to get 2 dollars for each possum hide. The fur buyer told me they made tennis balls out of them. I never looked at a possum the same after that.

-Piss into the wind.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
That's what we got for them too! We also sold them live for cancer research at the big UT lab here in the county. I think we got $5 each.

I've eaten them before. We used a bisquit dough on top of them when we baked them. It soaked up the excess grease and was discarded.

My great granddad would render the grease for his harness leather.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You should see him use an axe to do a squirrel!

Talking about a possum taking a duck. I was hunting from shore one day, and I had a couple ducks stuffed feet up in the snow keeping cool and a game warden walked up to me. He had a golden retriever that grabbed one of my ducks and ran off. I yelled at the warden that I wanted my duck back. The dog wouldn't give it back. He'd just run away. I told the warden if he didn't give me back my duck, I would have him arrested for hunting without a license. I never got my duck back.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by rob p
You should see him use an axe to do a squirrel!

Talking about a possum taking a duck. I was hunting from shore one day, and I had a couple ducks stuffed feet up in the snow keeping cool and a game warden walked up to me. He had a golden retriever that grabbed one of my ducks and ran off. I yelled at the warden that I wanted my duck back. The dog wouldn't give it back. He'd just run away. I told the warden if he didn't give me back my duck, I would have him arrested for hunting without a license. I never got my duck back.

lol. A guy I used to hunt with had his decoys stolen by a warden. Stolen off his own property! You can't make this stuff up.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
if a crow won't eat one that leaves me out.would sooner eat a turd in a lettuce leave.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 222ND, 1lessdog, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,794
Posts18,516,111
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.