Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Considering putting these on my L61R Finnbear since I have the need for 30mm rings now. I have had the Optilock ring/base setup on a Tikka for a dozen years and really like it, but recently I've noticed the Optilock ringmounts, eliminating the need for the bases. Question is....does anyone prefer one over the other?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
http://www.scopelist.com/sako-optilock-ringmounts-blue-30mm-x-low-75-85-s1701904.aspx

...these? First time I've heard of em...looks simple enough, don't know how they compare strength-wise to base/ring set up.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If you can get the ring mounts then thats what I would go with...anyone who has them really likes them. I tried to find them when I had my sako's but had no luck up here...

Rob
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes they are better(lower) IMO, but too low on some Sako's can be an issue if the ejectored shells hit the scope turret knob.....

Taking my rifle for a walk
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Brownells did have then $40 cheaper but it seems they are out of stock.

IC B2

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just put ringmounts on my Back Bear and they are great! Only available in low and there is plenty of bolt clearance and should take a 42mm objective at least without any problems.

Very neat looking mounts!

Last edited by mlg; 01/26/12.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I was told the ringmounts will fit a 50mm. I had trouble with the last 85 I had the ringmounts on. They were 1" low(only size made)and spent cases hit my scope on a 270win.

I'm currently trying a set on ringmounts on another Sako with 30mm tube scope. Didn't get the scope yet so I cannot comment yet. The ringmounts look much better than 2pc Optilocks IMO. They still utilize the recoil pin on the rear ring and seem every bit as strong as the 2pc to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had little spare time this month to work with mine a ton, but what I've done so far has proven to me that these new ringmounts are working extremely well with my combination.

I'm using an M-size 9.3x62 model 85 with the factory ST stock, which has the same lines as the Finnlight. My 30mm tube scope is the S&B Zenith 1.1-4X model with the standard height turrets. Though these turrets are smaller than bulkier target turrets, they are larger and bulkier than turrets found on normal Leupold hunting scopes. As expected, the initial zeroing and testing of my rifle has shown little difficulty in obtaining sub-MOA accuracy with standard hunting loads. In addition, I've also been able to maintain this accuracy after removing and replacing the scope several times using the ringmounts. The icing on the cake is that the rifle feeds flawlessly with these low mounted ringmounts. I intend to post a video of this performance with a review when I get some spare time in the next month or so. I have no problem duplicating D'Arcy Echols feat of cycling a full mag box of ammo through the rifle at blinding speed without a hiccup.

In my opinion, these ringmounts are the ticket, unless you have an issue with ring mounting space, eye relief, and/or some issue with oversized turrets which may crowd the ejection port. The profile of the factory ST stock works extremely well with my combination and allows for a near instinctive natural pointing of the rifle which dovetails with its ease of handling. My rifle also wears iron sights which will see much use. As such, I do not care for the aftermarket mounts which would leave an adapter base attached to the receiver when the scope/rings are removed. I greatly appreciate the ability to remove the scope/mounts leaving a clean receiver top. Even without iron sights, this repeatable scope removal could prove handy for maintenance and travel.

As you can see, I've become a pretty big fan as everything has fallen into place without much effort. I'd imagine if my combination was one that did not fit as well, I'd probably be complaining. You just need to do your homework to determine if they will fit properly on your combination. If you are using a huge scope having tall turrets, if you are limited in ring spacing, if you have little to no wiggle room with eye relief, and/or you are a certified card carrying member of the stock crawler Guild, you may should look elsewhere.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have 2 Sako's with ringmounts and prefer them to the 2pc. The rear ringmount sits pretty far back due to the position of the recoil pin. I almost ran out of room for forward positioning of scope to establish proper eye relief for me (see pic). Also, the screws are pretty soft, so be sure to use an appropriate fit metric allen wrench when torquing them. I think it is 2.5mm.

[Linked Image]

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
That's some excellent info. I'm one of those that also loved the integral mounting of Ruger rings, so I immediately was interested in these ringmounts. I think I'll give them a try.

GaryVA.....do you happen to have a pic or two of your setup? The VX6 I'm going to mount has very generous eye relief all across the power range, and ample ring space room, so it ought to work great. I've really been trying to decide which rifle to mount it on..L61R Finnbear or Tikka 695, both 7mags.

Horseman, I'd like to see your pics of that 30mm setup too if you can. Appreciate the help fellas.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The new Ringmounts do not use metric allen, they are Torx. I personally do not see how these Torx screws are soft. With mine, the clamp screws have the same head and rating as the action screws which can withstand torque settings much greater than the specified torque used for scope mounting. I've removed and retorqued mine enough times to last a lifetime of mounting and they show no sign of wear.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/26/12.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good to know GaryVA. I'd love to get my hands on some Torx screws for the optilock! Do you know if they are the same size as the older allen screws? Thanks.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MCT3
I have 2 Sako's with ringmounts and prefer them to the 2pc. The rear ringmount sits pretty far back due to the position of the recoil pin. I almost ran out of room for forward positioning of scope to establish proper eye relief for me (see pic). Also, the screws are pretty soft, so be sure to use an appropriate fit metric allen wrench when torquing them. I think it is 2.5mm.

[Linked Image]

What is the objective size of that scope?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
42 and low RM's

Last edited by MCT3; 01/26/12.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Damn, those ringmounts do look good and with the recoil lug on the back ring I'd say they are pretty secure, still not the rock solid design of the mighty Ruger integral system but I think good enough, these ringmounts have me considering Sako rifles again. I never fell out of love with Sako rifles I just couldn't stand their clamp-on too high and heavy Opti-lok system. can you get these in stainless or at least a matte finish? I only buy stainless rifles and bright blue ringmounts wont due...........Hb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Considering putting these on my L61R Finnbear since I have the need for 30mm rings now. I have had the Optilock ring/base setup on a Tikka for a dozen years and really like it, but recently I've noticed the Optilock ringmounts, eliminating the need for the bases. Question is....does anyone prefer one over the other?

Less Parts = mo better. I have not been able to find those when I owned Sakos/Tikka but if I were to buy another Sako I would purchase those.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Damn, those ringmounts do look good and with the recoil lug on the back ring I'd say they are pretty secure, still not the rock solid design of the mighty Ruger integral system but I think good enough, these ringmounts have me considering Sako rifles again. I never fell out of love with Sako rifles I just couldn't stand their clamp-on too high and heavy Opti-lok system. can you get these in stainless or at least a matte finish? I only buy stainless rifles and bright blue ringmounts wont due...........Hb

I am in a love-hate relationship with Sako.Don't jump on the bandwagon too soon.Considering Beretta's history they will either discontinue or stop importing the ringmounts soon.

I have not seen them in stainless.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 01/27/12.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

They are produced in stainless. I don't know if they are available in the US?

www.sako.fi/optilockproducts.php?ringmounts

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Opti's get my vote. Seem safe and secure on my Swaro Z3.

You need 30mm? Hope you get a stainless scope too! :-)

http://www.nelsontactical.com/shopp...92.html?zenid=km9a0h0bqaqvgmp6bhl2mfanf7

:-)

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

I can't figure out where you keep coming up with this "too high" business on optilocks and bases. I have that system on a Tikka 695. I have mounted a VX3 w 40mm objective and it isn't more than 1/4" above the barrel. What's too high about that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,571 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.