Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Lanche

Both ID / OD would be best , then I can tell if it is feasible.

I had someone else ask about the same thing last year.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Most of what I want is not new, it's old stuff that's no longer available. They had a right idea, then changed their mind. frown frown

I know they're not fashionable anymore, but what I'd like to see is at least a partial return to external frame packs. I see the value of internal frame for technical climbing but for trail use, even 99% of off-trail use, the pros and cons of external vs internal frame are overwhelmingly in favor of external pack frames.

The absolute best backpacking pack I've ever seen, by a wide margin, is my old 1980 vintage Kelty Tioga II. The only things that could be done to improve it is add an internal sleeve for a hydration bladder and better attachment points for external gear like fishing rods held vertically instead of horizontally.

Mine is about 4600 cubic inches. If they'd offer the same features in a 3500 and a 4000 cu in pack, they'd have real winners.

Other things?

Buck should bring back the model 110 with a titanium handle.

A slightly smaller collapsible bucket that would go clear inside a pack.

More fishing tackle makers should make pack rods with slightly shorter segments, say 14-15 inches, that actually fit inside packs rather than having to be attached crosswise to the outside.

Hammocks with slightly insulated bottoms that don't require a separate pad or quilt for medium temperatures.

Finally, a freeze dried axe. I love a good axe but they're heavy. I think freeze dried axe, just add water, would be cool.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by snubbie
I would like to see a lightweight backpacking stool or chair. Something like a tripod type design that will get you up off the ground. Something you could kick back in, maybe semi recline with lower back support would be nice.
It would need to fold up compact and be under 1 pound.

Crazy Creeks are fine but I want to sit off the ground,not just have something between your butt and the ground.

I've been running this around in my head...may have to try and build one myself. I know I can get there with wood but that will end up too heavy. Probably would have to have some type carbon fiber frame to meet strength vs. weight criteria.

close but a pound and a half over your required weight.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___41193

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tom here's your bucket
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...&subdeptNum=50752&classNum=50753

Originally Posted by snubbie
I would like to see a lightweight backpacking stool or chair. Something like a tripod type design that will get you up off the ground. Something you could kick back in, maybe semi recline with lower back support would be nice.
It would need to fold up compact and be under 1 pound.

Crazy Creeks are fine but I want to sit off the ground,not just have something between your butt and the ground.

I've been running this around in my head...may have to try and build one myself. I know I can get there with wood but that will end up too heavy. Probably would have to have some type carbon fiber frame to meet strength vs. weight criteria.

close but a pound and a half over your required weight.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___41193
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Most of what I want is not new, it's old stuff that's no longer available. They had a right idea, then changed their mind. frown frown

I know they're not fashionable anymore, but what I'd like to see is at least a partial return to external frame packs. I see the value of internal frame for technical climbing but for trail use, even 99% of off-trail use, the pros and cons of external vs internal frame are overwhelmingly in favor of external pack frames.

The absolute best backpacking pack I've ever seen, by a wide margin, is my old 1980 vintage Kelty Tioga II. The only things that could be done to improve it is add an internal sleeve for a hydration bladder and better attachment points for external gear like fishing rods held vertically instead of horizontally.

Mine is about 4600 cubic inches. If they'd offer the same features in a 3500 and a 4000 cu in pack, they'd have real winners.

Other things?

Buck should bring back the model 110 with a titanium handle.

A slightly smaller collapsible bucket that would go clear inside a pack.

More fishing tackle makers should make pack rods with slightly shorter segments, say 14-15 inches, that actually fit inside packs rather than having to be attached crosswise to the outside.

Hammocks with slightly insulated bottoms that don't require a separate pad or quilt for medium temperatures.

Finally, a freeze dried axe. I love a good axe but they're heavy. I think freeze dried axe, just add water, would be cool.

Tom

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I would really like a Kayak paddle that can be broken down in two pieces and 4 pieces. Two of the 4 pieces can telescope 12" up and down the other two are fixed. The two piece sections can be used as trekking poles, the 4 piece sections broken down fit well in the pack for heavy brush. The single section without the paddles on it would telescope well enough to be a center pole for my tipi shelters.

Oh and it weigh in at less than 3 lbs for the complete paddle.....dream on wink

...and the paddle blade be usable as an axe.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I thought perhaps the paddle blade could be opened up and used for what Dan would like to see , Perhaps you could use a rollup wood stove as the frame platform smile

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have built 4 piece paddles for folks before. I worked for a manufacturer.
I would use a longer ferrule in the center that would let you adjust the length and feather angle. Using standard ferules near the blades so those can be taken off. But as far as performance.... any break down paddle is going to be heavier and have some slop in it compared to the same design with a one piece shaft. You can probably get the ferrules if you contact the company and do it yourself - it isn't that tough...hacksaw, epoxy, a drill...a shot or two of Jack Daniel's...

Last edited by Bitt; 01/27/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I want to see a blaze orange soft shell vest. Something like a kuiu guide With a nice fit. I'm not shooting skeet and I'm tired of picking burrs out of my fleece smile

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
I thought perhaps the paddle blade could be opened up and used for what Dan would like to see , Perhaps you could use a rollup wood stove as the frame platform smile

Paddling might clean it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm on it Dan smile

JK

You could get it pretty lightweight though.

Kevin

My buddy Ed's old lady even told us the only way she's going on a trip with us is if there's a proper place to drop a duece...

No kidding.

It's seriously a product that needs to be manufactured

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I'm on it Dan smile

JK

Kevin

My buddy Ed's old lady even told us the only way she's going on a trip with us is if there's a proper place to drop a duece...

No kidding.

And that would be Dan's other brother Ed, not me smile

Ed T

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Brad
The world is chock-a-block with great gear... the only area I see going backwards is packs.

Packs are getting lighter yet with less comfortable suspensions.

My "ideal" pack would be 5,000 ci's, a simple sack with double daisy chains, top lid, and nothing else besides compression straps and a couple of water bottle pockets... no zippers except on the top lid. Suspension would be of the old Dana Design, Arcteryx Bora, Osprey Crescent variety... in other words, a Bloody Great Sack hung on a real suspension.

A Dyneema body with 500 Denier Cordura bottom would be perfect.

It's called a Gregory Makalu Pro, wanna buy one?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
The world is chock-a-block with great gear... the only area I see going backwards is packs.

My "ideal" pack would be 5,000 ci's, a simple sack with double daisy chains, top lid, and nothing else besides compression straps and a couple of water bottle pockets... no zippers except on the top lid. Suspension would be of the old Dana Design, Arcteryx Bora, Osprey Crescent variety... in other words, a Bloody Great Sack hung on a real suspension.

It's called a Gregory Makalu Pro, wanna buy one?

Had one. Not even close to what I described... crappy, light suspension and stays are not removable to be individually customized.

Just one in a long line of brain farts for the post 1980's Greogoy Pack Co.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When it comes to load-bearing harness systems and the packframes they support, Frontier Gear of Alaska is by far and away the best there is when it comes to durability and comfort when under extreme load (100-200 lbs).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ed_T
I'm on it Dan smile

JK

Kevin

No kidding.

And that would be Dan's other brother Ed, not me smile

Correct laugh I'd hate for a reputable member of this forum to be guilty by association. From now on, Brother Ed will be referred too as my "Sugar Daddy"

I'm Irish...

A
A

I know what you mean I have a old Bora 40 and love it! Have you tried the deuter packs? Thel look to have a nice suspension system.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
EdT
[Linked Image]

EdC
[Linked Image]

My ex wife was around camp too
[Linked Image]

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That Guy in the back on that first picture is dead sexy! Lord he's getting bald fast though!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My ex wife was around camp too
[Linked Image]

Haha!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
That Guy in the back on that first picture is dead sexy! Lord he's getting bald fast though!

Brad, no way in hell am I going to tell Patrick Smith what you said laugh

I'm losing it in the front fast, goes with being Irish
[Linked Image]
I prefer to think of it as "Thigh Burn"

I'm Irish...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (007FJ, 21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,916
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.