-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just purchased one of these. Whats your opinion or experience with the trail lite?

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's the latest incarnation of the standard, old school Thermarest. Good pad. Heavy.

However, once you go Neoair you'll never go back... far more comfortable, lighter (and more expensive of course)...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used nothing but a RidgeRest over the years. Last time I used it a few months ago, my hips were killing me in the morning (getting old).

I looked at the NeoAir and couldn't decide between getting the 20" regular or the 25" large for several more ounces.

Any thoughts?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Go Large... once it's inflated it shrinks by several inches all around.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks. Large was my first choice, too, but the older I get the heavier my pack feels.

I was at a Gander Mountain store two days ago and saw NeoAir stuff sacks for regular pads on a clearance rack for $4. I almost made my decision to buy a regular-sized pad based on the ability to save $10 or $15 on a stuff sack. Pretty dumb logic....

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Funny, I found a website that gave comparisons of lots of backpacking pads. I saw the Thermarest Prolite Plus was the same R value and the same thickness as the Trail Lite, but the Pro Lite Plus was less weight and packed smaller. Called the store I got the Trail Lite and they had the Prolite Plus on sale...
So, after an exchange I have a Prolite Plus...

I like it a lot all ready.

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Beware that stated R-values translate poorly to reality. Get some time with them and you'll know what works well and when.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats why I now pack an Exped Downmat and love it. I've slept on top of snow in it down to 20 degrees and been nice and toasty.

I fail to see how any aircore, with nothing in it, has any R value thats not based purely on fiction.

That said, I'm shopping for a pad for this summer when I thru hike The Bob. and the Thermarest on on top of a very short list

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Reflective barriers work, but it remains to be seen "how well" they work in a sleeping pad. For me the Neoair is far ahead of the Exped in terms of comfort (I don't like longitudinal baffles) but not everyone feels the same.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another happy Downmat user here. The thing flat out rocks. Warm and more comfortable than my bed at home. sleep grin

Heavish though and more than is needed for early season stuff. I'll be getting a Neoair to try out for that stuff. Haven't decided which one yet...

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For real cold I carry a 1/4" Evazote pad anyway... put it on top of the inflatable.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
Beware that stated R-values translate poorly to reality. Get some time with them and you'll know what works well and when.

I think that's exactly right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess I am less picky about my sleep. I like Big Agnes pads with the longitudinal baffles just as well as my Neo Air with the horizontal ones. I also use a simple size short/small neo air and find it works find with my pack to support my legs. Don't notice and difference in quality of sleep between the shorty Neo or the full size one, or even the full size Big Anges IACs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
alaska lanche
we should all be so lucky!
I need 2.5- 3.5 inch pad to go with my back nowadays.
Think Kooka bay

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I guess I am less picky about my sleep. I like Big Agnes pads with the longitudinal baffles just as well as my Neo Air with the horizontal ones. I also use a simple size short/small neo air and find it works find with my pack to support my legs. Don't notice and difference in quality of sleep between the shorty Neo or the full size one, or even the full size Big Anges IACs.

I slept on a 3/8" Ensolite pad into my early 30's.

I'll be 51 in June... I notice all manner of differences now.

You'll see grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No doubt, I'll enjoy it while I can. My 27 year old bones are pretty tolerant right now. No doubt if you double my age, you'd find me packing size large air pad as well. laugh

I hear that getting old stuff ain't for sissies.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I like the large Neo Air, but more times than not I use the medium (60".) I've got over 50 nights on one and I sleep as good as I do in my bed and I'll be 55 this year.

A good nights sleep is something I will always carry extra weight for, but I still try to go as light as possible.

Ed T

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Ed_T

A good nights sleep is something I will always carry extra weight for, but I still try to go as light as possible.

My thoughts exactly. Exped has become my go to...side sleeper and need more conformity that 1 inch pad can give. I agree it is a little heavier and space consuming, but I find that I can make up for a bit of the loss in a lighter sleeping bag.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My best sleep in the back country comes on a Large Neoair. I'm not one of those guys who cuts the handle off his toothbrush to save a little weight, I leave the whole thing at home to save all of it. The Neoair on the other-hand is worth every ounce, especially on multi-day outings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've also got the NeoAir pad in large and love it. For a few more ounces i've got an extra 5" in width and now they make these things in 2.5" thickness compared to my old Prolite 4, which was only 1.5" and 20" wide.

As soon as they get them in stock i'm getting the new NeoAir X-Lite for the wife, also in large.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1minute, 117LBS, 219DW, 10ring1, 43 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,321
Posts18,505,832
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.