Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yoop
Anybody that tells you any whitetail deer cartridge is good enough for a bear has never been close to a big bear. 350 pounds plus, dressed of course.

They are big with large dense skeletal structure.

I own an accurate 25-06 Model 70. It is accurate using 100 grain Barnes X and 115 grain Nosler Partitions. I really like the gun. I would never use it bear hunting. If it is all you own, hunting with hounds or over bait one could head/neck shoot with it.

My bear rifle is a Savage Model 99 in the 308 caliber. It is very accurate and offers a quick second or third shot. 165 grain Accubond factory loads. You have to be aware of pass through. That bullet will blow right through a smaller bear. You have to be aware of what is behind your target.

A 270 Winchester with a premium 150 grain bullet is a good starting place to start. 7mm-08 on the short action side.

If you get the chance at a truly large bear you will be glad your 30-30 is at the house.

It's ironic that your post was immediately following a post from a guy who has seen many large bears shot, and is recommending anything over .22LR. He is 100% correct. Bullet placement and performance are far more important than caliber or the size of the powder charge...

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
You are an instigator! You want me to pull out the pictures of the 8'6" Kodiak bear with the see-through bones? Is that it? You are just looking for trouble!

wink wink wink

Why, yes I am!

I haven't seen those pics in a while and actually would like to see them again. For reference, mostly. To put things in perspective, so to speak.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
translation: Dare ya! smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
You are an instigator! You want me to pull out the pictures of the 8'6" Kodiak bear with the see-through bones? Is that it? You are just looking for trouble!

wink wink wink

Why, yes I am!

I haven't seen those pics in a while and actually would like to see them again. For reference, mostly. To put things in perspective, so to speak.

Me TOO. grin

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I used a 30-06 and 180gr NP's on mine.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
A good deceased friend of mine put 5 .22 slugs into a big black bears head before he found the ear hole with the 6th. Point blank. The 6th collapsed the bear, first five showed little effect.

I put a JHP slug into the ribs of a 270 pound dressed bear at point blank range. 41 Remington mag, 210 gr JHP. Never broke a rib, never got inside the rib cage.

I have been around Black Bears way too long to read the BS repeated about how easy they are to kill. There are plenty of unrecovered dead bears that someone shot with a 243, or 257. If you cannot afford a rifle of sufficient size to humanely kill a black bear, head for Walmart and be a greeter until you have the 300 bucks for a new Stevens 200, I will lend you a scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me three [wants to see "Sitka Deer's" coastal brown bear photos from Kodiak].

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A good deceased friend of mine put 5 .22 slugs into a big black bears head before he found the ear hole with the 6th. Point blank. The 6th collapsed the bear, first five showed little effect.

I put a JHP slug into the ribs of a 270 pound dressed bear at point blank range. 41 Remington mag, 210 gr JHP. Never broke a rib, never got inside the rib cage.

I have been around Black Bears way too long to read the BS repeated about how easy they are to kill. There are plenty of unrecovered dead bears that someone shot with a 243, or 257. If you cannot afford a rifle of sufficient size to humanely kill a black bear, head for Walmart and be a greeter until you have the 300 bucks for a new Stevens 200, I will lend you a scope.

Go do a little reading about Nosler Partitions and Barnes TTSX bullets... wink grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by olblue

wink wink wink

Why, yes I am!

Me TOO. grin

Didn't you get a disc with all the pictures of YOUR bear?!? wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Lousy bullets used poorly is not evidence of bear invincibility.

Looking for the photo of the scapula of this bear:
[Linked Image]

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
another...
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Entrance hole no exit 358 Win. 200 gr. Hornady SP 2500fps 70 yrds.
If I would have hit the scapula, probably would not have recovered the bear.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by coyotewacker; 01/29/12.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

If you want penetration, hollow points ain't your huckleberry. That's rule #2 of the above mantra.

Not going to *make* you use what others do. Use what you like and works for you, and go hunt!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
We also read in the Alaska forum about 8 months ago of a black bear that was "hit hard" with a 165 partition out of a 300 RUM. That bear shrugged it off and kept on going.

bigger is better. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We also read in the Alaska forum about 8 months ago of a black bear that was "hit hard" with a 165 partition out of a 300 RUM. That bear shrugged it off and kept on going.

bigger is better. wink

Hard to believe when a 30-30 with core-lokts kills them deader than a door nail.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

bigger is better. wink

Hard to believe when a 30-30 with core-lokts kills them deader than a door nail.

'tis hard to believe. Makes one wonder if the "hunter" plain missed.

Then again, maybe our bears are "boolit prufe". smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sitka Deer:

Congratulations on the coastal brown bear. That's a pretty bear.

Maverick

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is not one of mine... I was just taking pictures that day... Ol'Blue is in both pictures and he shot the bear.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by LarryfromBend
I always thought that hunting Black Bear over bait or in thick cover would be a great reason to buy a 35 Whelen.

And that's why I did build a .35 Whelen...except for the bait part, can't do that in Oregon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody that tells you any whitetail deer cartridge is good enough for a bear has never been close to a big bear. 350 pounds plus, dressed of course.

Oh really? whistle whistle

The simple fact from this neck of the woods is that there are more bears lost from knuckleheads that think they need to "gun-up" to something they're afraid of rather than something they're both used to and comfortable shooting.

IMO, the bullet make all the difference. And, FWIW, one of the largest bears shot here in recent years was by a petite, 15 year-old girl shooting a .243. The BIG bear and huntress obviously missed your memo. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (338rcm, 204guy, 16penny, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 2ndwind, 24 invisible), 1,943 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,622
Posts18,474,036
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.