Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Just posted this for entertainment value. Recently got a Savage 99 T with the Zeiss Zeiklein 2.25 in early Stith mounts. Seems the scope has elevation adjustment, while the mounts have windage. I am just learning about them. Seems very clear. Rifle is 1936, scope 1935-1940 from what I gather. Thought it might be of interest here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now that's a neat vintage item. You'll find that old Zeiss will work just fine. Zeiss was top of the line then and is still in the top tier of rifle scopes. Is the mount marked Stith, as it doesn't use the usual Stith "rear tang holes, front dovetail" mounting method ?

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
From what the guys on the Savage forum tell me, the mount is a Stith Streamlined, very early Stith. It is marked "M.L.Stith Pat Apld For". Most of the guys had never seen one. I plan to shoot the 300 T with the scope on Monday. It's clear enough to read lettering on things at a distance, really surprised me for 1936! I like the tapered post and crosshair reticle, seems great for fast target acquisition.

LOL
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Just be aware that they aren't water proof and not as tough as the current scopes. E

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Ok, thank you. I didn't know that. Any way to seal the turret with wax or something?

LOL
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Not that i'm aware of. E

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn Fireball, thats a cool set-up, were it mine i'd just take it out on clear days and lay smoke to those Oregon bucks.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, I'm dying to shoot it. It sounds like I'd have to take it out on a sunny day.
What about shrink tube over the turret once sighted in?

LOL
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Yes, I'm dying to shoot it. It sounds like I'd have to take it out on a sunny day.
What about shrink tube over the turret once sighted in?

I wouldnt wanna "ugly" it up, i have some old optics and except them for what they are and hunt 'em on pretty days smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not clear on what leaks on these scopes.

LOL
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm no expert on glass but, i believe they wont leak or let water or moisture in, but may fog a little more than modern designs, cant see anything gas charged leaking.

But i would seal the caps w/ some of your wifes paraffin wax grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
As a Zeiss owner, that is bad-ass. Feels good to know they have been at it for a long time.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Still building good riflescopes?

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From what I have examined on pre-war drillings and sporting rifles with vintage optics one is lucky to get single coat of magnesium floride on exterior glass surface. I rate them tiny notch above open sight and big notch below modern sub $100 scope made in PRC.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Among the best ! Hunt it on nice days and carry a gallon zip loc bag in your pocket should you get caught in the rain. Dry snow won't bother it at all. If you hunt in continued cold weather, store it outside and don't carry it in a heated car.
Change in temp., altitude and humidity are what cause fogging.
Waiting for a range report !
Here are two vintage Zeiss scopes on twins: a 257 Bob and 30-06 built in 1935. In spite of the giant picket posts both will do one MOA all day. Brief case handle QD mounts so you could use the Lyman 48 under them. Made for a lefty in PA who (apparently) could not afford the Sedgley LH action, although he did pop for full coverage engraving!) It's all about priorities.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Hey Larry Root, GFY!..

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Interthem-
I am new to the forum arena, and have been watching your posts and corresponded once or twice in PM with you as well. Sometimes you seem lucid and other times delusional and argumentative. A lot of different people seem to feel pretty strongly about you, and I've seen plenty of weirdness to make me nervous. What is the issue?
I'm not talking about everyone else's issue and why they're to blame and you're misunderstood, I'm talking about your issue? You just keep coming across in some strange way alluding to this crowd of people you're with, the rifle range club. To be honest, from reading your posts objectively it sounds like you have multiple personalities. I'm not an expert, and expect some sort of weird retaliation for this post, but I am calling like it looks to me. Don't know what else to say.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Interthem-
I am new to the forum arena, and have been watching your posts and corresponded once or twice in PM with you as well. Sometimes you seem lucid and other times delusional and argumentative. A lot of different people seem to feel pretty strongly about you, and I've seen plenty of weirdness to make me nervous. What is the issue?
I'm not talking about everyone else's issue and why they're to blame and you're misunderstood, I'm talking about your issue? You just keep coming across in some strange way alluding to this crowd of people you're with, the rifle range club. To be honest, from reading your posts objectively it sounds like you have multiple personalities. I'm not an expert, and expect some sort of weird retaliation for this post, but I am calling like it looks to me. Don't know what else to say.

He/she/it has been banned from the board several times and keeps coming back under different usernames.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fireball, you are communicating with "me" you are communicating with "us".
I'll have to ask Rog just how many users we have signed up here now.
It is entertaining to watch the trolls who might have watched a few medical shows suddenly become experts at Psychiatric evaluations.
There have been so many good people booted off this sight by the "gang of 10" , whose few in number hardly equal hardly "a lot", that we just had to do an intervention.

Perhaps if you focused on our factual contributions to the site, our support ($) of both members and site sponsors, you might get a sense of what this is really all about.

Sorry you don't like those Zeiss equipped R.F. Sedgleys and, as trolls always do, have taken the thread off the OPs topic "VINTAGE ZEISS SCOPES" into the world of delusions of psychiatrist wannabes.

To the OP, good hunting with your neat vintage rig. Hope you were able to winnow some good info among the troll rants.

Leave you with a pic of a newer Zeiss being used to test various loads in a carbon fiber AR. Adios

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Hey Larry Root, GFY!..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222ND, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,503
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.