Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I got some 235 grain, Cast bullets from Beartooth Bullets for my 338, but due to the short neck and short throat of my old Winchester, I can't seat them out far enough to crimp into the crimping groove. OK, I can probably live without crimping them, BUT the base of the bullet is WAY below the base of the neck. Of course this is common when using Jacketed Boolits, but is it gonna be a problem, having all that lead, lube, and gas-check down there to be messed up? Shouldn't the bullet be enclosed by the neck, or outside it, until it's fired to protect it?

I was gonna start with 45 grains of H4895.

Smitty of the North

No amount of planning will ever replace Dumb Luck.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have had no problems loading my cast gas checked bullets to below the neck.

I try not to if possible but don't worry if I cannot.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks Blammer:
I notice from your other post that you don't see a probem with jamming the bullets into the lands. I guess I'll give it a shot. At least one, huhn?
Smitty of the North

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had mediocre accuracy when I load the gas check below the neck, and hence try to avoid it at all cost. I simply crimp in a lube groove when I need to seat a bullet out long. There is nothing wrong with jamming the bullet into the lands, unless you just physically can't chamber the round. I'm assuming you're not going with max loads, so pressure isn't an issue.

The ony concern it that if you chamber a round and then eject it without firing it, you run the risk of sticking the bullet in the chamber, so take a cleaning rod with you when you go to the range.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
jamming the lands, with mild loads never bothered me.

It's when you get close to max or you decide to take your pet load and load it the same way except you decide to load the bullet long and into the lands. THEN you may have problems...

but starting low and working up with all other factors remaining constant, not a problem.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I've had mediocre accuracy when I load the gas check below the neck, and hence try to avoid it at all cost. I simply crimp in a lube groove when I need to seat a bullet out long. There is nothing wrong with jamming the bullet into the lands, unless you just physically can't chamber the round. I'm assuming you're not going with max loads, so pressure isn't an issue.

The ony concern it that if you chamber a round and then eject it without firing it, you run the risk of sticking the bullet in the chamber, so take a cleaning rod with you when you go to the range.

458 Lott:
I hear ya. It just seems like the Gas Check could come off and the lube could melt before the bullet leaves the case. The throat of my rifle just won't let me seat the bullet out very far. I'll try seating to the crimping groove, and see if the round will chamber.
Smitty of the North

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know exactly what mechanism causes the poor accuracy with the gas check in the body, but I have seen the effects.

My suggestion would be to have mountain molds make you a custom mold with a bore rider nose so that you can get the bullet weight you want in a bullet that will fit your chamber, and keep the gas check in the neck. I've used several mountain molds, and they are a great buy for a basically custom mold. I'd say go with the aluminum blocks.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
458 Lott:
That sounds like a good plan if I wanted to get into molding my own bullets again. The bullets I got from Beartooth were for the 33 Winchester, and the Ogive is too big, so I've had to seat them deep.

I've been trying loads with H4198, from 45 to 49 grains, on the advice of a cast bullet shooter I met BRSP. I got nothing smaller than 2 inch groups at 25 yards. Then I tried the other load he suggested, 34 grains of IMR 4759 and had all five shots touching at 25 yards. "No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck". Maybe I'll test that load at 100 yards, if the weather ever warms up again.

I'm just tinkering. Thanks for your help.
Smitty of the North

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Anyone here thought about adding a cannelure make themself .. Just were you want it ..?

Dave Corbin sells canneluring tooling

Just my two cents

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Better too large than too small. As long as it chambers it can be fired safely, provided you work up your load from below using the oversized bullet.

I have successfully used hard cast lead bullets .003-.004 larger than bore.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Size the nose (only) down in an 8mm sizing die, until you can load the bullet to your desired length.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Gentlemen:
Thank You for the suggestions.
The 34 grains of 4759 worked pretty good at 100 yards, under adverse conditions, maybe 2 inches. I have more to test, and I'll load the other 50
Smitty of the North

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Smitty: I load a couple of cartridges that require the gas check to be seated below the neck. I developed loads with slow burning powders that almost fill the case to the bullet base. For my purposes one of the 4831's seems to fill the bill. For your 338 you will probably need a powder slower than 4831. The object is to nearly have a full case at reduced pressure levels (and velocity).

On top of the powder goes a weighed amount of PSB (from Precision Reloading) to provide a mild compression when the bullet is seated. PSB does not bridge in the case in my experience although I do not let loaded ammunition sit on the shelf long as a precaution.

Add the weight of the PSB used to the bullet weight when calculating charge.

My 300 Savages showed dramatic improvement in accuracy loaded with a 197 grain (RCBS 180FN) which by necessity has to seat deeply in the case. 5 shot groups less than 1.5" are the norm when using the PSB. 4-6" groups without it.

Bore is clean and lead free with this buffer added. Not the case without the PSB so it appears to create a useful shield to protect the exposed portion of the bullet from gas.

I have similar results shooting a 287 grain (Lyman 358009) in my 35 Whelen except three shot groups are usually below 1". Velocity is in the 1950FPS area for this and the 300 Savage.

Take a trip to the Cast Boolit forum (www.castboolits.com)and ask if anyone has suggestions for your 338. A gent by handle of Chargar has worked with it a lot. Those fellows have also worked a lot with very slow surplus powders that are very cheap compared to commercial offerings. I only wish I could get them here.

The amount of PSB used varies from less than 5 to less than 10 grains depending on the cartridge. It meters nicely through a measure or you can fabricate dippers to give you the right amount.

Best.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks Stocker:
Smitty of the North

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,189
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.