Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Noticed in the last couple of episodes of TAA that Craig Boddington has been replaced as the host by Ivan Carter. Anyone know if this is permanent? Anything going on with Craig that prompted the change?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Boddington had a "small" heart attack this past spring while hunting in Uganda, I believe.

I saw him and briefly spoke with him at the Dallas Safari Club convention. He looked hale and hearty and carried on with his usual break-neck schedule.

RS

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ivan Carter has replaced CTB on TAA. Good thread about it sometime back on AR forums. Craig posted to it and said he wanted to slow down and concentrate on some other projects he has going.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
He is done with TAA. I spoke with him at the Atlanta safari show. He said that he was approaching 60 years old and tired of spending so much time in Africa every year. He also said that he is developing a new show. I believe that it will be more like Shockey's show- a mix of NA, Africa, and possibly other destinations. I expect one show will feature a driven boar hunt in Tunisia.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a somewhat controversial opinion on certain aspects of hunting TV shows.
Ivan is a PH, and he guides others for the show, and I have no problem with that.
The writer-hunters who do all the hunting and killing for the shows/publications--well, they could be documenting others who are enjoying their occasional trips to Africa or where-ever.
Documenting one's monthly killing trips for profit just doesn't seem right. I know CB has served his country honorably, but I hope he is done with the constant killing of game animals for profit. Same goes for the muzzle-loading record holder, and the well known Texas/Alabama-based TV hunter shows.

[Linked Image] Steve

"He wins the most, who honor saves. Success is not the test"--Ryan

Blog: http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=71
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SteveG
Ivan is a PH, and he guides others for the show, and I have no problem with that.
The writer-hunters who do all the hunting and killing for the shows/publications--well, they could be documenting others who are enjoying their occasional trips to Africa or where-ever.
Documenting one's monthly killing trips for profit just doesn't seem right. I know CB has served his country honorably, but I hope he is done with the constant killing of game animals for profit. Same goes for the muzzle-loading record holder, and the well known Texas/Alabama-based TV hunter shows.

Oh come on - you have got to be kidding. "documenting one's monthly killing trips for profit just doesn't seem right" - but it is ok if Craig wants to write about you killing something?! Or your friend at the range? I am afraid that is a sense of ethics that is bit too finely tuned for me to get my head around. In literary circles where do draw your line? Does Hemingway pass your test? How about Ruark? or Osa Johnson? Or is it just modern writers and film makers who fail your ethical hurdle? Fortunately, the market arbitrates both pretty ruthlessly. And you can vote in that market by neither watching nor reading.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RedLeg
Originally Posted by SteveG

Oh come on - you have got to be kidding. "documenting one's monthly killing trips for profit just doesn't seem right" - but it is ok if Craig wants to write about you killing something?! Or your friend at the range? I am afraid that is a sense of ethics that is bit too finely tuned for me to get my head around. In literary circles where do draw your line? Does Hemingway pass your test? How about Ruark? or Osa Johnson? Or is it just modern writers and film makers who fail your ethical hurdle? Fortunately, the market arbitrates both pretty ruthlessly. And you can vote in that market by neither watching nor reading.

None of those that you mentioned made more than 3 trips to Africa in their lifetime, much less in one year. None was making a living killing and writing about it. Hemingway was a writer who enjoyed hunting, as was Ruark. The Johnsons were film-makers who documented their hunting. None were making a hunting trip just to make more money. Therein lies the rub.

the question all of us must ask ourselves is:
When is it morally permissible to kill another large animal?
1)In self-defense--assuredly.
2)In order to eat--yes, in most cases.
3)for pleasure--yes--at least in our (hunters) perspective, so long as done humanely as possible and in accordance with good conservation methods, and not to excess.
4) for profit--NO. not in today's world, IMO.

Guiding is not killing for the above.

Last edited by SteveG; 01/29/12.

[Linked Image] Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve,

I tend to agree with you. I do like the better shows, however. They bring me back to places I can no longer return to in many cases.

I program the TV to record the best shows, and I completely ignore the Bubba-in-a-Tree Stand ones.

All of them have driven the cost of hunting through the roof, IMO. The sport is all about the biggest and success at any cost anymore if you go by the plethora of 1/2 hour infomercials, masking as hunting/fishing shows.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Let's see - The Johnson's took their extended trips abroad over two decades for the express purpose of making feature films to be shown for profit. Osa, the diminutive huntress, was marketed (horror of horrors) because of the facination paying customers had in seeing the tiny woman taking on dangerous beasts. Oh yes, and killing lots of them. And of course, television was not an option.

Ruark was first a journalist and second an author of books, and all were written for the express purpose of making an income. People paid him to read about his hunting adventures (and those experiences encompassed a lot more than three trips - about which he wrote for magazines like "True" as well as his great naratives )- or his novels of Africa where he had the hubris to use his experiences as the basis for the his fictional accounts of the Mau-Mau insurgency - for which he was paid very well.

And Hemingway never shied from making a dollar - God knows he spent them fast enough. And whether it was short stories or novels, his experiences in the Caribbean, the Gulf, Africa, and Idaho, most of which involved killing or catching something, informed that writing and made it better and more popular.

One could also point to O'Connor and his generation as well. All of whom were trying their darndest to make a living.

I think what you may really object to is modern transportation and digital communications. In Ruark's day, even with Pan Am Connie's providing transatlantic service, Safaris were of long duration. Jetting to multiple hunting locations in a single year simply was not possible. And so a career like Craig's was not really an option until very recently.

And no, I don't particularly enjoy the vast majority of either the shows are the current "Bob and I went hunting" lit that fills most of the rags. But I also truly don't see anything unethical in such a career. And if that writing and television work serves to help interest another generation in taking up our sport, then I am much more inclined to praise it rather than criticize it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Steve,

While I disagree with your opinion, I will not argue as it is only an opinion.

However you stated Ruark didn't hunt Africa more than three time. He actually hunted almost every year from 1952 until 1964. He died in 1965. There were years he made three safaris.

From Terry Wieland:

Roosevelt made one safari; Hemingway made two. Ruark, at his peak, made two or three safaris a year; at times, he practically lived in Africa. He hunted in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Mozambique; he made Harry Selby famous

IC B3

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
I think about folks trying to make a living doing these TV shows and I cringe. The logistics, the daily challenges of finding game, making sure the sponsors gear is showcased, getting close to animals, getting into a shooting position that is best for the camera not the gun, hitting the target well enough to have a show, marketing the sponsorships so it can be made and broadcast, going to trade shows and hunting/fishing shows for PR and marketing....on and on and on. It isn't the same as printed media and the camera does blink in the editor's office.

The challenge is finding the show that has enough credibility to hold my interest.

Redlegs, what was the largest bore you ever fired? I know you couldn't see the target when you fired it.

Last edited by Uptonogood; 01/29/12.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Steve,

While I disagree with your opinion, I will not argue as it is only an opinion.

However you stated Ruark didn't hunt Africa more than three time. He actually hunted almost every year from 1952 until 1964. He died in 1965. There were years he made three safaris.

From Terry Wieland:

Roosevelt made one safari; Hemingway made two. Ruark, at his peak, made two or three safaris a year; at times, he practically lived in Africa. He hunted in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Mozambique; he made Harry Selby famous

Thanks for the info. I had forgotten that Ruark made that many trips. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the major source of his income was not about killing--although he wrote
"Use Enough Gun" and "Horn of the Hunter", his major works ("Something of Value" and "Uhuru") and his daily news posts were his primary source of earnings.

Redleg, certainly we are all entitled to an opinion, and I will stand by my reasons given for when it is morally OK to kill.

Last edited by SteveG; 01/29/12.

[Linked Image] Steve

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Uptonogood
I think about folks trying to make a living doing these TV shows and I cringe. The logistics, the daily challenges of finding game, making sure the sponsors gear is showcased, getting close to animals, getting into a shooting position that is best for the camera not the gun, hitting the target well enough to have a show, marketing the sponsorships so it can be made and broadcast, going to trade shows and hunting/fishing shows for PR and marketing....on and on and on. It isn't the same as printed media and the camera does blink in the editor's office.

The challenge is finding the show that has enough credibility to hold my interest.

Redlegs, what was the largest bore you ever fired? I know you couldn't see the target when you fired it.

Ok thanks. That is a great line and may borrow it sometime.

And I am probably guilty of "using too much gun" in what should be a serious, friendly discussion about what constitutes the ethical commercial use of our sport. So with appologies to Steve, let me try again.

I believe we can all agree that man has been exploiting the killing of animals for personal, commercial gain for a very long time. I think we would also all agree that much of that take was a very bad thing for the animals - the passenger pigeon, the American Bison, and the African elephant - however romanticized the ivory trail - to name a very few. But it is really only in the 20th century that income derived from hunting through others' appreciation of the telling of the sport really became a viable means of making, or in most cases, supplementing an income. And to be sure, while there is some great 19th century hunting literature, Roosevelt probably really set the modern genre in motion with African Game Trails. In that case he was able to get the Smithsonian to pick up tab for most of the safari and of course, his resulting monumental work, was no small commercial success. The Johnson's did the same thing for cinematography after the war, though, their work was clearly and solely aimed at creating a commercial demand for their adventures.

What I think we have seen in the ensuing eighty plus years is a dramtic compression in time and space, along with greater and cheaper access to more exotic hunting fields than in the past. That explosion of opportunity has created a corresponding explosion in the hunting industry and those who earn a living through it. And international opportunity for the working class hunter which did not really exist until well after WWII. When Ruark was writing his articles to "True" magazine and "Outdoor Life" - and yes his African adventures figured in many of them - such journals were very few indeed. And of course, television was in its infancy. Today, commercialization is rampant and yes, I do believe much of that commercialization creates ethical issues, but I would argue, it is also probably saving our sport.

Some of the things which bother me are small enclosed game farms where deer are artifically created into Frankensteinish freaks and sold to "hunters" for enormous sums; or as others have argued on this forum, the shooting of the great cats in enclosures; and my particular hang up, the deliberate wounding of game in order to povoke a charge for a camera. I also hate much of the new technology. Sniping an elk at 600 meters is an interesting technological stunt - but it isn't hunting.

Which brings me a long way around to Craig and his use of print and media to earn a living. His "I went hunting ..." stories sell well. They do so because journals sell copy when his work is on the content page. With very rare exceptions, no one has accused Craig of not believing in and practicing fair chase. In other words, he is not abusing the game he pursues and about which he writes. He is also one of the few in the industry who makes his way solely on his talent and that tireless keyboard. He'll get a USMC retirement in a couple of years, but he doesn't have that yet. Heck, I don't even know the guy, though we are of the same age, and my active military career paced is Marine reserve component career. But he seems, as Hemingway would say, to write true. He even admits in print when he screws up. And he sure doesn't need me to defend him.

So, if that literature and video is not for you, I do fully understand. I personally can't abide the whole redneck branch of the current genre - whether duck commanders or bone collectors. But, I don't think what they do is unethical. And by helping keep hunting more or less mainstream - and by certainly keeping it an accepted hobby of the middle class, I believe that branch of the literature and film are helping keep a pulse in our sport.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And I am probably guilty of "using too much gun" in what should be a serious, friendly discussion about what constitutes the ethical commercial use of our sport. So with appologies to Steve, let me try again.

I believe we can all agree that man has been exploiting the killing of animals for personal, commercial gain for a very long time. I think we would also all agree that much of that take was a very bad thing for the animals - the passenger pigeon, the American Bison, and the African elephant - however romanticized the ivory trail - to name a very few. But it is really only in the 20th century that income derived from hunting through others' appreciation of the telling of the sport really became a viable means of making, or in most cases, supplementing an income. And to be sure, while there is some great 19th century hunting literature, Roosevelt probably really set the modern genre in motion with African Game Trails. In that case he was able to get the Smithsonian to pick up tab for most of the safari and of course, his resulting monumental work, was no small commercial success. The Johnson's did the same thing for cinematography after the war, though, their work was clearly and solely aimed at creating a commercial demand for their adventures.

What I think we have seen in the ensuing eighty plus years is a dramtic compression in time and space, along with greater and cheaper access to more exotic hunting fields than in the past. That explosion of opportunity has created a corresponding explosion in the hunting industry and those who earn a living through it. And international opportunity for the working class hunter which did not really exist until well after WWII. When Ruark was writing his articles to "True" magazine and "Outdoor Life" - and yes his African adventures figured in many of them - such journals were very few indeed. And of course, television was in its infancy. Today, commercialization is rampant and yes, I do believe much of that commercialization creates ethical issues, but I would argue, it is also probably saving our sport.

Some of the things which bother me are small enclosed game farms where deer are artifically created into Frankensteinish freaks and sold to "hunters" for enormous sums; or as others have argued on this forum, the shooting of the great cats in enclosures; and my particular hang up, the deliberate wounding of game in order to povoke a charge for a camera. I also hate much of the new technology. Sniping an elk at 600 meters is an interesting technological stunt - but it isn't hunting.

Which brings me a long way around to Craig and his use of print and media to earn a living. His "I went hunting ..." stories sell well. They do so because journals sell copy when his work is on the content page. With very rare exceptions, no one has accused Craig of not believing in and practicing fair chase. In other words, he is not abusing the game he pursues and about which he writes. He is also one of the few in the industry who makes his way solely on his talent and that tireless keyboard. He'll get a USMC retirement in a couple of years, but he doesn't have that yet. Heck, I don't even know the guy, though we are of the same age, and my active military career paced is Marine reserve component career. But he seems, as Hemingway would say, to write true. He even admits in print when he screws up. And he sure doesn't need me to defend him.

So, if that literature and video is not for you, I do fully understand. I personally can't abide the whole redneck branch of the current genre - whether duck commanders or bone collectors. But, I don't think what they do is unethical. And by helping keep hunting more or less mainstream - and by certainly keeping it an accepted hobby of the middle class, I believe that branch of the literature and film are helping keep a pulse in our sport.

Lots of smart in that post. Hunting television has done a lot to mainstream hunting and will do more in the future.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Redleg that's a great post!Well stated.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U

Nice summary supporting true sport hunting.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
To get back to the original thread. It is my understanding of the truth being there was a fallout between Chafuti and Craig. To keep from bashing each other and keeping things professional they have decided to part ways and down play the situation into other agendas. These are the facts. I believe both parties will both still be successful without each other but believe you won't see them working together anytime soon.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I may have missed something here a s Im a bit on the high side of the mountain. It would seem to me that this whole adventure can to pass because Boddington went hunting because he enjoyed it a lot. Id just suppose he decided to capitalize on his experience because he had a good cooperative typewriter. I see no conflict with his journalizing or videoing his experiences; on more than 1 venue. At any rate I feel its a far cry from some of those who did kill only for the profit avaiable , as previously mentioned- the ivory hunters, rhino horn hunters and perhapseven the bison hunters of the 19th century. Their's was a diferent context than we see today, And I can only mention parts of that. The hunting in/on these shows tends to display more of a "sportsman's ethic" with all parts of the animal used to some benefit. Again, I can find little fault with writing about or taping these exploits to share with the rest of us, even if it involves a profit. The major exception I would have with any of this is when the killing is wanton, or too much pleasure is taken with the kill.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
In many areas hunters take immature game because they hunt on public land or never have the opportunity to shoot quality animals. I don't agree but I understand.

I have seen too many tv shows and print articles where "professional hunters" take game in order to have a "happy ending".

I have no problem with Boddington killing in every show, as long as it is game that someone with his resources and access should take. Otherwise, end the show with the obligatory "hunting instead of shooting" comment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RedLeg,

I find little to disagree about in your post. Well Stated. smile

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (1lesfox, 1234, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,518
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.