GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
.250 Savage or .257 Roberts.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Axis can weigh over 200#, and they are tremendous athletes. I'd personally recommend something a little bigger than a .243.

[Linked Image] Steve

"He wins the most, who honor saves. Success is not the test"--Ryan

Blog: http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=71
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6.5x55

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
.257 sounds abour perfect to me.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since axis are included, might as well throw in big whitetails. grin I like a handloaded 257Roberts or a 25/06 with good 120gr bullets.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L

Why not a .257 Weatherby?

I kind of like this caliber.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
.257 Wby is a fantastic cartridge, but the more I use my .260, the more I like it. Either would be awesome.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LBP
A 223 or 22-250 with the right bullets would work fine...

That's the way I'd lean, 243 would be good as well.

Not much to them, the blackbuck that Paul shows in pics from time to time I think with his son is another awesome pic along with DJ's.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by woodsie
Let me have your opinion.
In june I am hunting free range axis deer and blackbuck in texas, and then in october, I am hunting for the smaller whitetail found in south florida. They go about 125 pds live wieght.
Thanks,
W.:)

Woodsie,

It has been my experience that a 7mm-08.............

[Linked Image]
in a bolt gun,

[Linked Image]
how sweet it is with a 140 gr. Accubond or TSX at a muzzle velocity around 2800 fps........

when it comes to.............

[Linked Image]
Axis

[Linked Image]
Black buck

[Linked Image]
Javelina

[Linked Image]
Porkers.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/292.jpg[/img]
and whitetail deer

Best

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/02/12.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If it were me I would pick up a 25-06.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Only shot whitetails here but I would be using my 223 or 223 AI.

That's what ill be using when i go on an axis hunt and hopefully a few javelinas.

Brett
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Ok, let's see. Pick from these three. .257 Roberts, 7mm/08, or .30 WCF.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One 223 experience with Axis comes to mind.

We were hunting on a friends place with a bunch of Axis when my little daughter who was 8 at the time shot a big axis doe with a 60 grain Partition out of a 223. It was a pretty close shot, and the old girl tore out of there favoring a shoulder, but I honestly can't swear as to where she was hit because we never found her in the super thick South Texas brush where she was shot.

I am almost positive there was no exit, because we found very little blood which became no blood. I tracked her a long ways after she quit bleeding, and her track was pretty recognizable as she was favoring a front leg enough to leave a funny track on it. I jumped her once, but never saw her through the brush, but lost her track after that.

It may have been a poor hit, but if it was it was the only one of her career of killing quite a few critters. This is the only one out of 12 or 15 deer that she has shot at that we haven't found, and it was an easier shot than most she has taken. I suspect she just caught one lung and didn't get an exit, since the shot was at a pretty hard quartering angle toward us.

Because I'm pretty confident she hit her pretty good and probably killed her, I'd suggest going with a pretty stout bullet on Axis if a 223 is the choice. I think it would be Barnes or bust for me with a 223.

The next year, she stepped up to a 243 with an 80g TTSX and got a chance at another Axis doe. She shot her at about 80 yards quartering to us. In at the point of the shoulder and out behind the off shoulder. She ran around 100 yards or a bit more, but left a great blood trail both on the ground and all over cactus and mesquite, and we found her easily.

[Linked Image]

This one shows the entry wound...

[Linked Image]

Here's what we found when we opened her up. Blew some lung through the exit hole.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pretty well souped the vitals...This is the entry side.

[Linked Image]

Entry on the left, exit on the right.

[Linked Image]

Anyhow...I'd sure use a good bullet on an Axis, especially with a 223. Even a Partition in a 223 might not be quite enough. Not dead sure of it, but I sure think my sample of one with a 223 60 Partition resulted in a yummy Axis in a coyote's belly instead of mine.

DJ

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I tend to agree with DJ on the 223. From what we have seen axis tend to be a little tougher than the whitetails. They are normally larger and their hides are thicker. My personal opinion is the .243 is the starting point if you plan to take anything other than pure broadside shoots. Don't get me wrong I shoot deer and LOTS of feral hogs with my 223 and I would use it on an Axis if I was carrying it. If I was going on a hunt where Axis was the dedicated game I'd pull out something .243 or larger. I really like my .270 on axis

Just my personal opinion

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to argue with the 270 on Axis...

A picture is worth a thousand words, and I like that one!

DJ

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Perfect cailber is .284 or .308
Perfect cartridge is 280 Remington or 308 Winchester

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Axis are a bit tougher to kill than a standard deer. By that I mean they are more like AFrican in the way that they hang on longer after the shot etc....

After a number of years guiding for them, the only comments I can give are wish I had acess to shoot a doe axis every year for the superb meat.

And that you need to use a decent non frangible bullet, the hide is a bit thick on large ones. Make sure shot placement is perfect as with all animals and don't expect to see bang flops that often at all unless you CNS them.

Definitely tougher than whitetail.

Doesn't mean I'd get all goofy over caliber though, I'd tackle em with anything I had, including a 22 mag, but just knowingly of limitations.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rost495
Axis are a bit tougher to kill than a standard deer. By that I mean they are more like AFrican in the way that they hang on longer after the shot etc....

Definitely tougher than whitetail.

Indeed they are quite tenacious when you put a bullet in them. I have seen many lost Axis that were shot with a 6mm, 243, 25-06 & 270's. Are 270's capable? You bet your boots they are. If you are going to chase Axis you need to hone your bullet placement skills and don't take marginal shots.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is all consistent with my experience with all of them I've shot.

The big buck I shot went nearly 100 yards with one shoulder shattered and a punch through the other from an 85 TSX - a shot that has dropped lots of whitetails with CNS shock. I hit him pretty well dead center of the shoulders.

The doe we lost was hit pretty well, IMO, but I think she may have caught one lung. It's possible it didn't fully penetrate the onside shoulder, but I doubt it. It's also possible the angle got us, but she was definitely hit in the near shoulder and was clearly favoring it when she ran. Bottom line, I don't think the little 60 Partition out of the 223 was up to the job.

If we had used a bullet that performed like the 80 TTSX used on the second doe, I am very confident we would have found her - both from better penetration and damage to the Axis, and from a much better blood trail.

Axis bucks are built kind of like a yearling steer, and can push 300lbs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

DJ

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

444 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,655
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.