Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oneoldsap
How would a Santa Barbara action , be Spanish ?

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?5964-Santa-Barbara-98-Mauser-Actions Because they were made in Spain?

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And a small ring Mauser, had it been one, handles large powerful cartridges just fine.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by oneoldsap
How would a Santa Barbara action , be Spanish ? I was thinking of the small ring 95 , commonly refered to as the Spanish Mauser !

Santa Barbaras were made in Spain. Parker Hale used them in their rifles, and the actions were imported in large numbers for custom builds.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It is a Santa Barbara "Magnum" action. It is stamped on the action. I am uploading pics to photo bucket right now. There will be more but that is all I had time for today.

I am liking the rifle more and more. It has been used but is in fine shape. As I get more time I will add more photos to figure out the cartouches on the barrel and perhaps when the action was made.

As I took apart the bolt and action I found that the milling of the parts is not as nice as my Winchesters but still beefy.

The trigger guard is over built and solidly larger than I have seen before and of course all steel. The action is truly a large magnum with the bolt to match.

I have shot Model 70 .458's that were smaller than this rifle. I think I will call it Big Medicine for its project name.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Last edited by elkhunter130; 01/29/12.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
first time I've ever seen the carved grizzly motif combined with the lightning bolt borders. can't wait for the "afters" wink

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the basics of the rifle, a lot. Is the griz carved too deeply to remove and still have a good stock left at the end of the day? Not too hard to change out the forend tip, maybe with Ebony or just remove the borders and leave the nice Rosewood.

I still say you got a TERRIFIC deal on the trade - big time.

Great action, great caliber, lots of good stock options. Boyds, Richards Microfit, Stocky's,

I will be watching this as the rifle becomes what you want it to be, but nothing wrong with hunting it like it is.

Last edited by safariman; 01/29/12.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking at a way to get all of that metal covered up. What gets me is that this rifle has been running around like this for ten years I can think of. Very low on rust.

I am looking at getting it cleaned up a little with some polishing and then getting it coated in something.

I am looking at Cerakoting from different companies but I need a company that is willing to do some deburring and polishing before coating.

Anybody know a good bear guide service? He He

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There is a side of me just wanting to put a scope on it and call it a day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would have traded about 5 seconds after it was brought up!!
The Speer 250 Hotcore is the most accurate bullet out of my rifle and IMHO performs like a super premium bullet.

That is a dandy,,now you need to come up here a hunt a brown bear,here's a brown that met my 358 Norma this fall.[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by waterrat; 01/29/12.

I tend to use more than enough gun
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watterat,

As soon as my health is better, I will be in touch. Can I bring a 416 Rigby inistead of a 358?

Nice bear!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhunter130
Before Pics......hope these turnout.

Congratulations on making the deal of the month!

Ted

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Most assuredly a good deal. I own two more .44's so I do not feel I will really miss it and now I have a new project Gun to work on.

Looking at stocks and finishes right now.

The rifle will receive a Leupold VX-3 1.75 x 6 by 32 as its optics. I have one already to go on after the finish is applied.

Now the real question for me is - To stick with the traditional look or do I go new school with this shooter of a rifle. I plan on using this rifle and I am hard on them so the finish should be tough.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The trade is a .44 Ruger Super Blackhawk for this .358 Norma. It is a nice rifle and I have shot it. Groups real nice. I do like my .44 Oh yea it is to a good friend. He has always like my Ruger

What would you do and why

No question I would trade a .44 of any type.

Other than that he would have to take money.

BTW I really like the 458 Norma.

Good trade.

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most assuredly a good deal. I own two more .44's so I do not feel I will really miss it and now I have a new project Gun to work on.

Looking at stocks and finishes right now.

The rifle will receive a Leupold VX-3 1.75 x 6 by 32 as its optics. I have one already to go on after the finish is applied.

Now the real question for me is - To stick with the traditional look or do I go new school with this shooter of a rifle. I plan on using this rifle and I am hard on them so the finish should be tough.

A classic Mauser in a Classic chambering like you have deserves decent wood IMO. Leave the tupperware to the Model 700 / WSM guys. A compromise that I have made and like is laminated wood stocks. Stained with some dark stain and checkered, I think they look pretty sharp. They can definately withstand lots of abuse. That said, I have hunted some nasty weather with plain walnut stocked rifles. It takes a bit more care and thought, but to me the trade for a warm feeling, quieter rifle that looks nice is a worthy endeavor. Here are a couple of mine with darkly stained Laminated stocks, one is checkered. The uncheckered rifle is my aforementioned model of 1917 with the 20 year old Brownells Moly/Teflon/Epoxy bake on finish. Both stocks are Boyds JRS models that have been re shaped a little to be less porky then stained, checkered, finished etc.

257 WBY on a pre 64 model 70 with said stock...

[Linked Image]

Model of 1917 in 340 Tyrannosaur, JRS stock and Brownells finish

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Waterrat,

thats not a bear, thats a "barr". Weidmannsheil.

elkhunter130,

great trade. Good luck with the gun. PM sent on the guide.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Safari. I will have to wait until I get home to see the pics my office computer will not bring them up.

As I have been looking at the rifle I am starting to get the same nostalgic feelings for the thing. I like the idea of the laminated stocks. Are you Glass Bedding those? How do they fit you? Do they beat you up? I love a good wood stock for the magnums. Maybe even one of those girly recoil pads is in order.

I am not a stock fitter/craftsman. I would have to get help in fitting the rifle to the stock. I should be able to find someone local but I do like the laminated stocks. I have one on my .17HMR in gray and just love it.

I have been Black Bear hunting with a pre 64 Mod 70 Super Grade in 30.06 for years. I love a good wood stock. If this one did not have lightning bolts and the carving on it I might just keep it.

I have thought about just getting it blued and putting the scope on and hunting with it and not ever worrying about the stock - just live with it. It does fit me well. It is glass bedded and oil rubbed (one of my fav set-ups). I wanted it for hunting so...

I don't know yet, I am going to check out the finishes from Brownells when I get home. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are welcome, when you see the pictures I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much like good wood a laminated stock can look. I like them, anyway.

Yes, I glass bed everything. Very few cratsmen can bed a stock anywhere near as closely and tightly as a simple glass bedding job can be done. To weather proof them I even glass bed the barrel channel then sand them out to a free float with a thin layer of Accraglass protecting the barrel channel area.

I am no woodworker, either. I had these done by a pro with more equipment than I have at my disposal. The JRS classic stocks form Boyds are pretty good, IMO, but I like a more open 'Prince of Wales' style grip and a thinner grip diameter as well as a more svelte and slender stock overall on a hunting rifle. Thusly, these two do not look or feel like an out of the box boyds handle.

Howdy,
I'm new here but this thread caught my eye.
I just had a custom .358 Norma built on a Remington M1903. Getting decent results with 250 gr. North Forks.

Pretty elite club to join I think.

"This ain't my 1st rodeo..."
Casey Tibbs... St. Joseph's Hospital Emergency Room, Deadwood,S.D.
August 1959

Don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well you are right Safari, I like the look. It is a good way to go. Nice rifles.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (10gaugeman, 117LBS, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 48 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,921
Posts18,518,805
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.