Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Pardon me for getting off topic here,

Just the way I see it but, for me the idea of the 200 in lieu of the 180 or lighter is to stack the odds in favor of getting 2 holes on critters. Especially large big game like elk and moose etc.

I'll tell ya Mark, I'm done with Accubonds. I just talked with my brother last night about some 300 WSM rounds using 200's I loaded for him, his son, and a friend for an AZ elk hunt this past Nov-Dec.
All 3 got their bulls, nice average bulls between 700 and 850 lbs.

On every kill they recovered the 30 cal 200 Accubond. All 3 elk were killed between 75 and 200 yards. All 3 elk were hit in the lungs.
All 3 bullets never made it to the opposite hide. Two of the bullets were still in the lungs of the bulls. They thought that odd as I was pitching them how well the 200's should penetrate.
Yeah, I know, how dead is dead and they killed the elk. Two of the bulls mosied off another 75 yards and laid down then got up when approached to be finished off. The 3rd bull went 40 yards and stood there while they put a couple of more behind the shoulder. He was dead of course and his lungs where filling up. They just didn't want to wait another 5 or 10 minutes before he would fall over.

I've also killed two large mule deer using the 30/200 AB. Both times the bullet never made it out of the animal. Yeah picture performance that makes everyone here at the fire go gagaoooowow!

I just don't like that kind of performance. I like Partition performance on elk. Where it sheds its front for tissue damage and I don't recover the bullet. I want two holes on an animal unless I use a Berger VLD then I know what to expect from that species of bullet.

From now on its Partitions for elk and Ballistic Tips for deer as far as using Nosler bullets.

I don't buy into the thought that the AB is just a tipped Partition. Baloney on that.

I also don't buy into that hooey touting the light for caliber Barnes being the equal of a heavier Partition.

Just my ramblings my Big Sky friend... grin

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive loaded 200 grain speer bullets in 30/06 cases with 60 grains of h4831, over a fed 215 primer for a good many years as almost a standard elk load in our hunting group, groups tend to be consistent, accurate and deadly on elk, velocity on my chronograph varies with the rifles obviously but about 2580 fps is close to an average
Ive yet to see a well placed shot using that load not result in a very dead elk
http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?id=103

Last edited by 340mag; 01/31/12.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
.588 BC and a tip that doesn't deform in the mag.

Bb

Those plastic tips deform and break off occasionally too.

Also, it is a fact that a little tip deformation does not affect B.C. nearly as much as people want to believe.

I agree.I'd load the Partition.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
.588 BC and a tip that doesn't deform in the mag.

Bb

Those plastic tips deform and break off occasionally too.

Also, it is a fact that a little tip deformation does not affect B.C. nearly as much as people want to believe.

I agree.I'd load the Partition.

I like(very much) the 200gr Partition in my 300 RUM-sounds like it is pretty darn good at ought-six speeds,also. Not surprised...

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SU35

Pardon me for getting off topic here,

Just the way I see it but, for me the idea of the 200 in lieu of the 180 or lighter is to stack the odds in favor of getting 2 holes on critters. Especially large big game like elk and moose etc.

I'll tell ya Mark, I'm done with Accubonds. I just talked with my brother last night about some 300 WSM rounds using 200's I loaded for him, his son, and a friend for an AZ elk hunt that past Nov-Dec.
All 3 got their bulls, nice average bulls between 700 and 850 lbs.

On every kill they recovered the 30 cal 200 Accubond. All 3 elk were killed between 75 and 200 yards. All 3 elk were hit in the lungs.
All 3 bullets never made it to the opposite hide. Two of the bullets were still in the lungs of the bulls. They thought that odd as I was pitching them how well the 200's should penetrate.
Yeah, I know, how dead is dead and they killed the elk. Two of the bulls mosied off another 75 yards and laid down then got up when approached to be finished off. The 3rd bull went 40 yards and stood there while they put a couple of more behind the shoulder. He was dead of course and his lungs where filling up. They just didn't want to wait another 5 or 10 minutes before he would fall over.

I've also killed two large mule deer using the 30/200 AB. Both times the bullet never made it out of the animal. Yeah picture performance that makes everyone here at the fire go gagaoooowow!

I just don't like that kind of performance. I like Partition performance on elk. Where it sheds its front for tissue damage and I don't recover the bullet. I want two holes on an animal unless I use a Berger VLD then I know what to expect from that species of bullet.

From now on its Partitions for elk and Ballistic Tips for deer as far as using Nosler bullets.

I don't buy into the thought that the AB is just a tipped Partition. Baloney on that.

I also don't buy into that hooey touting the light for caliber Barnes being the equal of a heavier Partion.

Just my ramblings my Big Sky friend... grin

Very good stuff SU, thx.

I've been very much a Nozler brand fella for a long time. The NPT and NBT are pretty much my world. And I totally concur with you about the light Barnes theory as well. Most of the people I see toting this are mainly working with small big game (IE deer/lope/black bruins etc). I've known of more than a few light Barnes staying inside, and yeah I get it that they came from dead animals but I like/want/desire two holes on game and with elk that's where bullets are tested.

And yeah, I'm with you on the VLD concept as well.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd also have no problem using a 168 BT on elk over the AB.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by whitetailhunter
I don't see the point. If you need more velocity from the 200 grain bullet there are plenty of .300 magnums to choose from. Why stress your .30-06 out and shorten it's barrel life?
....+1...It is probably more of a curiosity issue than anything else just to see what one`s rifle can do.

Most 21" to 22" barreled `06 rifles from what I`ve read and imo, might be hard pressed getting 2700 fps with a 200 gr bullet. Much more likely from the 24" and 26" tubes.

In the field, what can a 30 cal 200 grainer moving at 2700 fps from the muzzle do, that a 30 cal 200 grainer moving @ 2550-2600 fps cannot?............Nothing.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Says the guy who shoots nothing but whizbang magnums and is proud of it...

Ironic...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by GregW

Ironic...
.....Yep! Like them whizzy bang mags. But my first rifle at 9 years old was a 30-06.

An `03 Enfield sporterized conversion my dad had converted over.

Had it for quite awhile growing up. Was a nice piece.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
quote]I don't see the point. If you need more velocity from the 200 grain bullet there are plenty of .300 magnums to choose from. Why stress your .30-06 out and shorten it's barrel life?
....+1...It is probably more of a curiosity issue than anything else just to see what one`s rifle can do

Stress? shorten barrel life? what a joke....

You guys should just get 300 Savages and be happy then.

btw, squeeze, I thought you were dead?

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
A few benefits come with the extra vels, less drift, a little flatter traj. and to help ensure proper bullet expansion should you need to stretch it out a bit while in the field.

Gunner

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by woods

Elk at 150 yds

[Linked Image]

Is THAT as far as it penetrated ? ? grin grin
You MIGHT need a little more velocity. grin grin

Sorry, I thot about this for a while. I could not help it. smile

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
How are we shortening barrel life by running a 200 Gr. bullet at 2800 FPS ???

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You do realize that every time you pull the trigger on a heavy bullet in a 30-06, you shorten your life by the same amount of time the bullet spends in the barrel?

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
r t l - I agree with you. I don't think it does. Only one possible reason;

higher heat from more powder burned.

Last edited by jwall; 01/31/12.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire
had this conversation a few years ago, and I got flamed all over the place, until some one came on and supported me...

when he got the wise ass questions of " you got pressure testing equipment to verify that with???"... the poster answered yes.. and gave his phone number if anyone wanted to call him to verify or talk about it...

it had a 541 area code, and when you called it, the receptionist answered "Nosler Bullets".. well that thread became like page 3 or 4 within a very short time.. and the naythesayers disappeared like crazy...

but like the gentleman from Nosler said and supported me.. you can't get enough 4831SC into an 06 case to over pressurized it in regard to SAAMI specs...

in a 22 inch barrel velocity with a 200 grain Speer, exceeded 2800 fps... so 2700 with a 200 in a 21 inch barrel shouldn't be a big deal...

and I loaded up several cases to test primer pocket life... after 10 reloads they were still tight on the 11th primer inserted into them..

I remember the thread quite well, I too think that the gentleman didn't mince too many words about it and put a pretty fine point on it in his commentary about what their pressure testing proved out also.
Great thread Dober and very informative
BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

Ironic...
.....Yep! Like them whizzy bang mags. But my first rifle at 9 years old was a 30-06.

You were tougher than me and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I couldn't handle the recoil of an '06 until my mid teens.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

Ironic...

You were tougher than me and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I couldn't handle the recoil of an '06 until my mid teens.
.......When 9 years old, my dad goes here,,,,,,"Like it or not, its all yours!"

Wasn`t easy at first, but I got use to it ok. 150 gr factory ammo wasn`t too bad for recoil. Didn`t graduate to a 30-06, I instead jumped right into one.........Thanks dad. crazy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Doesn't look like any strain to get 2900 fps out of a 300 Win Mag or the whizzum either with 200 gr NPT. With a 200 yd zero you gain 1.5" at 300 and 3.5" at 400 over the 2700 fps goal you have. In the field I'll bet most can't hold any tighter than that, myself included. Mark you are building an itch in me to try some 200 NPT's in both my 06 and 300's. Hmmm that .481 BC at 2950 would just about match the dots in my 3x9 Leupold with LR Duplex reticle on my 300 win mag hmmm. Good thread. Magnum Man

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I posted my 180vs.200 numbers over on the thread I started on the Elk Hunting site. The difference is about 2% which is nothing. The recoil is about 2 ft/lbs more with 200's but that is predictable. Unless like Dober said, a better chance of a pass through or with the "raking" shot.........However if one bullet was noticeably more accurate, then that would change things. the
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Help me understand the advantages of a 200 grain ACCU over a 180 grain NPT. I reload too so I'm always looking for a better load, but I don't see the point.
According to my software there is an energy (just one factor, of course) advantage for the 200 but it doesn't seem significant. The velocity advantage goes to the 180, as I get 2850 ft/sec or so MV with 59.0 gr. Hunter, compared to 2700 ft/sec for the 200.
The MPBR when sighted in 2.25" high at 100 is nearly the same.
It's fun to talk about and I like the thread, but what's the point?

P

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

390 members (1Longbow, 22kHornet, 1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,651
Posts18,533,818
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.