Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Question on bucking rolls. Who use's them? do you feel more secure? Do they work? Are they practical for trail riding even if your horse is well broke? Are they supposed to fit tight against your thigh or do they get in the way. Just wondering what your opinions are on them. Good and bad.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If your saddle has any size pommel and it fits you, I don't see why you would need them. I know they would not have helped me with that mare, I was going off and a little bucking roll wasn't going to stop it. LOL

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have three pair hanging in my tack room if that's any indication. If your saddle is a bit too big you can sometimes position them against your thigh in such a way as to take up space. They may help a little if you go down steep grades often but they will make little or no difference if your horse really decides to pitch. Years ago, buck rolls -- under a different, non-politically correct moniker -- were positioned on top of certain pommels and did make a difference. Ugly, but serviceable. Today they are more of a fashion accessory (choose the color that matches your hat) on Wade-type saddles. Some can be positioned as to be of some benefit but they usually require the drilling of two more holes for screws and that's an adjustment that should be carefully considered before doing. So, you might ask, why do I have several in my tack room? I go through seasons of thinking they might benefit me or my wife so I put them on two or three saddles and always end up taking them off. whistle

Last edited by mtrancher; 01/30/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yup, last I heard, there were still saddles being made with real swells.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
yup, last I heard, there were still saddles being made with real swells.....
+1

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yup, and when I went from a Modified Association to a Weatherly I thought I was sitting on a postage stamp. Years later I went back to a Modified Association and felt claustrophobic. Anyway, back to lila, you can take buckrolls and move them up on the fork itself. It makes it look like you have swells. Well, "falsey" swells, I should say. I think it looks pretty silly -- and yes, I know because I did it -- but it does serve the intended purpose.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mtrancher
Today they are more of a fashion accessory (choose the color that matches your hat) on Wade-type saddles.

Seen a pair made of ostrich quill. Would go well with a pair of black luccheses.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've ridden saddles that had them as well as saddles with alot of swell to the pommell including the old beartrap style. Prefer slick forks on my own saddles. Seems easier to apply cues to shoulder & neck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ride with them. I ride a wade though. I wouldn't put them on a saddle that already had swells. That would be a little goofy. Although I wouldn't ride that kind of saddle anyway.

I like the wade with buck rolls better. For me the rolls are more out of the way for roping and taking my dallies and at the same time they also help me keep my seat a little.

Last edited by Ralphie; 01/31/12.
S
S
I started using Bucking rolls when I worked for Ellison Cattle company Elko Nevada 1977. As far as Im concerned Wade trees saddles and Bucking rolls are the best thing that ever happened to western saddles. Bucking rolls work Even if you ride a Platter

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I too have a wade with bucking rolls. IMHO they are more for a little grip for the steep downhills. I try not to ride broncy horses. I dont bounce OR recover as fast as I used to and it's just not worth it!!! They are somewhat like the poleys on the aussie saddles.

Welecome to the forum Sagerider. glad to have you posting here.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sagerider
I started using Bucking rolls when I worked for Ellison Cattle company Elko Nevada 1977. As far as Im concerned Wade trees saddles and Bucking rolls are the best thing that ever happened to western saddles. Bucking rolls work Even if you ride a Platter

Ellison CC, was that an outfit that Sorensens bought out?

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Originally Posted by sagerider

Ellison CC, was that an outfit that Sorensens bought out?

That is/was the Span, I think.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Speaking of claustrophobic, I thought I'd like a Formfitter. Felt like wearing another pair of pants. [Linked Image]

Weasel...
Is it the angle of the photo, or is that like a 10 inch seat?? Oh, the blue looks a mite rough on your '73 too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guessing it's about a 14-15" seat. Blue? That "tool" was probably still shooting Injuns after the last of the blue was worn off.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Speaking of claustrophobic, I thought I'd like a Formfitter. Felt like wearing another pair of pants. [Linked Image]

Bet that's a Hamley Model "B" had one when I was about 13-14 years old. Thing about killed me a couple of time riding colts. Traded it for a slickfork with bucking rolles. Still have the bucking rolls but completely wore out that old saddle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,465 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,594
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.