Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
We could take some historical perspective, FWIW,and look at some well traveled hunters from the present and years past to see what went hunting and what "worked" from a one-rifle standpoint. I'd have no problem myself with a 7mm for most stuff, and a 375 for the brown bear, which is the only reason I know of for going bigger,but in truth many are happier with a 30 cal (including brown bear).

That said,the majority of guys used a 30 caliber..

Elgin Gates-300 Weatherby

Herb Kline- 300 Weatherby

OU76 (who used to post here)and has taken all 26(?) NA big game animals three times....300 Weatherby,30/06.He used a 338 caliber for a couple of the big bears (he has taken 19 browns , grizzlies, and polar bears) but dropped it early on for the 375H&H.He is finishing off his third round of all species with a 7mm Mashburn Super and 175 TBBC.

Warren Page-7mm Mashburn and 375 Weatherby.

Jay Mellon- 300 Winchester Magnum.

Truth is a 30 caliber (likely a belted case of some type),or something very close to it,rules the roost in a "one-rifle", go anywhere-do anything combo among guys who travel all over and shoot everything.

No 338's present....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
A lot of great things to think about ....I appreciate all the thoughts. I'm not in a rush, I will look around hard before buying. Probably some range time with a few of these calibers would be a help.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I would strongly urge two rifles. One suited to deer, black bear, hogs and the other for big bears. The two rifles would have some overlap for elk and moose.

If you like the one rifle system, buy two very similar rifles. You don't have to buy them at the same time. But if you were to buy, say two M70's and have the triggers tuned the same it would be easy to switch between them.

Maybe a 270 and a 338wm.

The light rifle would be comfortable to shoot, easier to carry and cheap to feed. frankly it would be great for everything except the biggest of bears.

When you go to hunt the big bears, the cost for the hunt will be enough that buying the second rifle will be cheap in comparison.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by noKnees
I would strongly urge two rifles. One suited to deer, black bear, hogs and the other for big bears. The two rifles would have some overlap for elk and moose.

If you like the one rifle system, buy two very similar rifles. You don't have to buy them at the same time. But if you were to buy, say two M70's and have the triggers tuned the same it would be easy to switch between them.

Maybe a 270 and a 338wm.

The light rifle would be comfortable to shoot, easier to carry and cheap to feed. frankly it would be great for everything except the biggest of bears.

When you go to hunt the big bears, the cost for the hunt will be enough that buying the second rifle will be cheap in comparison.

Now, just add that third rifle to the "similar system" and get a varmint gun in .223, 22-250 or 220 Swift and you are set.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
30.06 or 300wsm.

Also, I've seen hundreds of guns for sale here or on GB that read;

"I built/bought this for an XXXXXXX trip that never happened or never will and I'm just not going to use it".......

Build something that works spendidly for 90% of the hunting that you do today and is adequate for the stuff that you "might do" one day.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would go with the 30-06, but any caliber from 270 Win through 338 Win should work.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Whichever one makes you put the bullet in the right spot.

Loving life in the Great North West one day at a time.

sounds like its time for a new gun.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by readonly
I want to buy my first custom rifle,

My dream is to hunt Alaskan brown bear. I would also like to hunt other western game....elk, possibly moose.

Like others have said i dont see it partical to own a medium bore rifle if most of your hunting is gonna be whitetails.

A 270,280,30-06.308 all will take everything you want to hunt including the big bears.If your going to hunt in Alaska for bears you'll need a guide and he'll have the larger cal. to back you up incase things go wrong.

If you hand load that gives you more options,you can down load some of magnums to use whitetail hunting.If you dont hand load see what ammo is availible in your area. How do you handle recoil? All factors that you need to take into consideration.

good luck with your dissicion.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You obviously need a .300 Weatherby Magnum. Load 168 Grain TTSX's and let the games begin.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SKane
30.06 or 300wsm.

Also, I've seen hundreds of guns for sale here or on GB that read;

"I built/bought this for an XXXXXXX trip that never happened or never will and I'm just not going to use it".......

Build something that works spendidly for 90% of the hunting that you do today and is adequate for the stuff that you "might do" one day.

+1 with a slight preference for a 300 WSM for a sporter weight (less than 8 lbs with scope) rifle with a LimbSaver recoil pad.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
You obviously need a .300 Weatherby Magnum. Load 168 Grain TTSX's and let the games begin.

Yep.

BTW, in a pinch one can use 300Win and or 300 H&H ammo in a 300WBY chamber and rifle. Not internet theory or hearsay I have had clients and or myself do this with good success. One of the reasons I consider it to be one of the finest, if not THE best of the 30 cal bunch. If you look hard enough, you might locate a model 70 Super Grade so chambered and with that in hand you would be all set, IMO.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did what you said.

and I have a 338WM MGA rifle.

the problem is it will make it hard to find one you like as well again.

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.338-06 you can load it with 160gr up to 250gr bullets

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alaskan brown bear

I'd suggest a 45-70 running about 405 grain slugs. The build can be on anything you want, but a Ruger #1 would be good and a Shiloh running black powder even better. Your present deer unit will likely handle everything else in the lower 48.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/01/12.

1Minute
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
If one wanted one cartridge suitable to do it all from brown bear to antelope it could be the .338 Win Mag.

You can even do it well with factory ammo.

The 180 Accubond load for lighter stuff.

A 210 or 225 premium for elk and moose.

A 250 NPT for the brown bear.

Or you could load 225gr for everything and vary the bullet.

A .300 mag or the '06 might do it too. I just like the idea of a .338/.35 Whelen or .375 Ruger-H&H to poke a brownie with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by readonly
I want to buy my first custom rifle, a go to rifle to last a life time. I have never hunted west of the big river, and the only big game I have hunted is whitetail.

My dream is to hunt Alaskan brown bear. I would also like to hunt other western game....elk, possibly moose. I have no desire to go to Africa. My job and family requirments mean that I will probably not being going on any big trips in the next several years. So I will settle for dropping a lot of coin in the gun of my dreams in the mean time. So I want to get it right on the first go.

My dilemna is what caliber is best for me. Any high powered rifle is suitable for white tails and black bear of the east. In reality, most of my hunting is with a muzzleloader or bow because rifle season is short here. But I do hunt deer with a rifle every year. I want a rifle that is comfortable to hunt deer with, but also suitable for the biggest game I may someday hunt in North America. Thoughts?

Check out the photos in this thread . . .

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6052995/1

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
It's very hard to improve on the .30-06 as a do everything rifle.

Ken

M
MKW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Call me crazy, but I'd hunt anything in North America with a 7mm-08.

Mike

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
30-06. If you can ever afford a brown bear hunt you should be able to afford an new rifle if you want to go bigger.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Or just take the '06 and some 200 gr NPTs.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

437 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 43 invisible), 2,873 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,443
Posts18,528,717
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.