Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BrentD Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Recently, someone posted a link to an article about a guy that completed that most challenging Tree Squirrel grand Slam of all 8 species of tree squirrels in 1 year.

Okay, maybe not challenging like a Sheep slam, but interesting to some folks nonetheless.

I would love to find that link again. If anyone can repost, it I would be very grateful

Thanks!

Save an elk, shoot a cow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
BrentD Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Many many thanks roundoak - seriously!

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Now that's COOL!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never realized there was more than 2 kinds.

Running and flat.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Seems like there is stuff missing..
California Gray squirrels for one ( similar to Arizona...)

and derivatives of Giant Fox squirrels like one member posted from SC..

the 'panda' squirrel

[Linked Image]

thought it was so cool, I kept it!

And Delmarva fox squirrels werent mentioned either...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ingwe,

Saw a panda squirrel while deer hunting in West Virginia about ten years ago. Never heard of one, much less actually see one. Should have gone back to my car for my 22rf. Instead, kept on deer hunting.

Not too bright, but thanks for the pic.

Steve

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I can't remember the member who shot that, but he has also gotten them in all black, the traditional Giant Fox colors( similar to Panda) and some obvious mix between the southern ( giant) fox squirrel and Red Fox squirrel...he has a really neat collection of mounts and I hope he sees this thread...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
BrentD Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Del Marva's and the "panda" are subspecies of the Eastern Fox - what ingwe calls a Red Fox squirrel. All members of Sciurus niger

There are many subspecies of these four so that's a whole 'nother deal.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Maybe Campfire Members can get a group rate on memberships to SU??

http://squirrelsunlimited.com/

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ingwe
Seems like there is stuff missing..
California Gray squirrels for one ( similar to Arizona...)

and derivatives of Giant Fox squirrels like one member posted from SC..

the 'panda' squirrel

[Linked Image]

thought it was so cool, I kept it!

And Delmarva fox squirrels werent mentioned either...

I think it is still illegal to shoot a Delmarva.

Last edited by KSMITH; 02/01/12.

-Piss into the wind.
B
BrentD Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by boatboy
Maybe Campfire Members can get a group rate on memberships to SU??

http://squirrelsunlimited.com/

Hank

now that is cool! Recipes!!!

B
BrentD Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by KSMITH
I think it is still illegal to shoot a Delmarva.

Some of the subspecies are protected under ESA. The Mt. Graham Red Squirrel in AZ is another example. It is a subspecies of Tamiasciurus hudsonicus. I think AZ has a few of these - so some caution is needed before loading up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Squirrel is one of my favorite game species, plus they are awesome baked with green apple!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I love hunting squirrels. My CZ really hates those little buggers, oddly enough. wink We get big fat grays, and there's a residential area near me that has a local population of black ones. I've lusted after them while thinking how to...nevermind. No legal course of action. smile I was on the lookout in AZ for some kind of tufted-eared one, as a 'if you see one they're legal' kind of aside to a hunt for something else, I seem to recall.

Good thread. Thanks B. Some of us know you're a dedicated and passionate and knowledgeable hunter, and only play the devil's advocate on TV. You should take me up on my offer to come up to fish some day. Based on how many hooksets you've racked up here over the years, I figure you for one of those guys who doesn't fish much, but gets lucky more often than not.

wink

B
BrentD Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Leighton,
If you didn't live in the Big East, I'd have been there yesterday. I find it hard to turn my compass that direction.

The tufted eared squirrels were Aberts. They are a game animal everywhere in their standard configuration but up on the Kiabab (North Rim), they are black and I THINK they might be off limits. Not sure.

I gave up fishing for tenure. Before that, I was a dry fly fisherman and the best walleye fisherman in Minnesota when I was a kid. All that saltwater stuff is a bit of an anathema to me. But I've been after sails once and a few other smaller prey. One day I might retire though that always seems less likely every day. If it happens, I'll be back on the water again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
By my count, there are nine species of tree squirrels, including the two in the genus Tamiasciurus (Abert's and Douglas Squirrels) in the U.S. My references are dated and there have probably been revisions that reduced the number to eight. (It looks like the Kaibab Squirrel has been lumped with Abert's as a single species, which makes a lot of sense to me.) According to my copy of Mammals of North America, there are 49 recognized subspecies among those nine species, some of which (as BrendD noted) are listed as threatened or endangered, and which cannot be legally hunted. These account for most of the variation in color, size, etc. mentioned in the posts above.

Since the Mount Graham red squirrel occurs only on a few hundred acres on the summit of Mount Graham, it's pretty easy to avoid them. Although Sciurensis nayaritensis (he calls it the Mexican squirrel) occurs only in the Chiricahuas in the U.S., its range extends quite a ways south into Mexico along the Sierra Madre Occidental. They were a staple food item on a pack trip into the northern Sierra a few years ago.

I was a little surprised to find that I had hunted or collected all but two of the species that he mentioned in the article. I guess if you knock around in the woods in enough states with a rifle and a license (or a collecting permit) you can kill a lot of different critters. Doing it all in a single year, though, takes some planning and dedication. As he noted, starting in Arizona gives you a bit of a leg up...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
BrentD Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Isn't there an "Apache Fox Squirrel" and maybe a Chiri Fox Squirrel (that is not the Mexican)? And those are protected?

I forget the various versions but there were a bunch.

When I was in AZ I shot Aberts off of the Grahams by the dozen.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by BrentD
Leighton,
If you didn't live in the Big East, I'd have been there yesterday. I find it hard to turn my compass that direction.

Fair enough, and no arm twisting from me. Offer's got no expiration date. You ever feel froggy, jump on over.

The tufted eared squirrels were Aberts. They are a game animal everywhere in their standard configuration but up on the Kiabab (North Rim), they are black and I THINK they might be off limits. Not sure.

AZ F&G site:

"Hunting and Trapping History
Tree squirrels have an uneven history as game in Arizona. Having gone from being totally ignored at the time of statehood, to having a limited season in conjunction with the deer and turkey seasons in the 1920s, the season was closed in 1935 due to a perceived lack of squirrels. Too many squirrels in the 1940s resulted in a re-opening of the season, and squirrel hunt regulations have since been liberalized gradually until every species and most subspecies are now subjected to limited hunting. Even the once sacrosanct Kaibab squirrel is now hunted, and the only totally protected squirrel is the federally endangered Graham Mountain spruce squirrel.

The Abert's squirrel is the most hunted squirrel species and the numbers of tree squirrel hunters and harvest depends largely on the overall number of Abert�s squirrels."

Before that, I was a dry fly fisherman and the best walleye fisherman in Minnesota when I was a kid. All that saltwater stuff is a bit of an anathema to me.

One of the best commercial tuna hunters I know loves nothing more in the world than chasing small(ish) tunoids on the feather in his time off. Seriously. False albacore, schoolie bluefin, bonito, skipjack, yellowfin...

But then you MN walleye boys might just not be up to the challenge with a game fish that very well might whip your arse...

wink

One day I might retire though that always seems less likely every day. If it happens, I'll be back on the water again.

Ah, horseshyt. There never was a man who upon his deathbed declared that he wished he'd worked more.

Last edited by kamo_gari; 02/01/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both the Apache (S. n. apache) and "Chiri" (S. n. chiricahuae) squirrels are listed as subspecies of S. nayaritensis. As far as I can determine, the common name "Chiri" refers to the subspecies that ranges south from the Chiricahuas in Arizona to somewhere north of Casas Grandes. It apparently also occurs in the higher elevations of the Sierra San Luis just south of the International Boundary along the Chihuahua/Sonora line. The Apache is the common one in the north central Sierra south of Casas Grandes. There are indeed a bunch, especially when you get into the Mexican and Central American varieties.

But I'm just a dumb ole deer biologist and I don't know why I am even posting on this thread...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.