Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by yukonal
Why do you keep a come-along next to your reloading bench? Sticky bolts? grin

Can someone post a pic of the end of the stock on an A-3 ,at the juncture where the forearm ends and the barrel comes out?

sick Load 'em hot or don't load 'em at all! grin

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B&C does a stock for Greybull Precision that I really like. It's a A3 style vertical grip stock but the forend has been slimmed down and rounded off as compared to McMillan A3's I have had but still has a flat on the underside of the forend. The flat is just not as wide as the McM A3 , It also has the Aluminum block.

[Linked Image]

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can someone post a pic of the end of the stock on an A-3 ,at the juncture where the forearm ends and the barrel comes out?

Here is the A-3 in the middle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SMACK
B&C does a stock for Greybull Precision that I really like. It's a A3 style vertical grip stock but the forend has been slimmed down and rounded off as compared to McMillan A3's I have had but still has a flat on the underside of the forend. The flat is just not as wide as the McM A3 , It also has the Aluminum block.

[Linked Image]

Hows it handle recoil. laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the pics, guys.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Though I doubt anyone has the goods to take the picture, but I'd like to see a Greybull stock laid alongside McMillans new Game Scout. Seems to be quite the resemblance. A forend shot like that above for the GB and A3 would be nice too...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about this:

A-3� SPORTER NEW

The A-3 Sporter design is based on customer demand. For years, shooters have purchased McMillan's "A" series tactical stocks as precision rifles. Because McMillan's "A" series are basically designed as prone stocks, the company received numerous requests for a version of the tactical stocks that retained its comfortable vertical pistol grip but was more suited to general hunting and offhand use. The A-3 Sporter is a variation of McMillan's A-3 tactical stock but with the drop-at-heel lowered from 3/8" down to 1" for better stock position on the shoulder for offhand and sitting use. The forearm has been curved in at the top to a "semi-beavertail" type for a more positive grip when hand holding the rifle. The pistol grip is the same as the A-3 and Adj. A3-5 stocks. It is an ambidextrous stock and can be inletted for most Remington 700 and Savage type actions. The forearm can be inletted for sporting barrel contours up to a Savage Varmint or #5 Douglas type contour. It is an excellent stock for general hunting and field varmint use with the famous "A" series type pistol grip. Will fit most older Savages and blind magazine actions.

http://youtu.be/YvDR9ygRAlk

Thinking about this for a drop in with my Rem SPS .257 weatherby mag.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm not looking for the lower drop at the heel.

It's a toss up between Greybull and A-3. I'll know after the SCI convention, when I can put my hands on a couple.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Rem Hunter is nice, very comfortable stock with the high comb and pistol grip. Forend it thick, but not overly so.

HTG is a good fit for the build if it only had a higher comb(!).

Rem Varmint is one I'd like to try but as was mentioned it has the short forend.

I ended up going with the A1-3. I like it a lot. HTG grip and stock but the comb has been raised the max amount...high enough that a grove is cut for bolt travel. The A3 forend is thick...so it may be thicker than you're looking for.

[Linked Image]

Groove for bolt travel:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If they would have put the forend off, say the Remington Hunter on the A1-A3, they would have got it absolutely perfect...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like A champ! Super comfortable and easy to drive.

Video: Recoil .450 Ultra Magnum with a 500gr Hornady on top of 102grs of Win748.

The 4 port Muscle Brake takes a BUNCH of recoil out of it, my first brake being a Harrell beat the hell out of me on the bench. When I had to peel my bloody Tshirt off my shoulder after the first 20 rounds at the bench. I had a 4 port installed by Benchmark with an extra port machined in the top and a custom tension screw.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SMACK; 01/28/12.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not looking for the lower drop at the heel.

It's a toss up between Greybull and A-3. I'll know after the SCI convention, when I can put my hands on a couple.

I have owned three A3's and I like the Greybull better than the McMillan, I also like the " Fair Price " of the Greybull in today's market.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Likes A champ! Super comfortable and easy to drive.

Video: Recoil .450 Ultra Magnum with a 500gr Hornady on top of 102grs of Win748.

I think you found the way to make the hardest kicking rifle off the Remington 700. Loved your Elk story. grin grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have an adjustable HTG (plenty heavy)on a 700 w/ sendero contour lilja, but wish it was the A3. To each their own.

Don't rule out the A3 Sporter...this is one with a #5 krieger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by snowwalker; 01/30/12.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like A champ! Super comfortable and easy to drive.

The 4 port Muscle Brake takes a BUNCH of recoil out of it, my first brake being a Harrell beat the hell out of me on the bench. When I had to peel my bloody Tshirt off my shoulder after the first 20 rounds at the bench. I had a 4 port installed by Benchmark with an extra port machined in the top and a custom tension screw.

[Linked Image]

Gotta be tough to keep that scope off your forhead!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

What contour is that barrel?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sakoluvr, its a 26", fluted, 14 twist, Lilja #7 contour. It was the smallest contour Dan would do fluted with a .458 bore.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.