Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Im thinking about building a 30-06 off of a Ruger Action. I really like the ruger action because their tough as nails, relyable, their a CRF action wich i perfer, they have a 3-position safety wich i also perfer on my big game hunting rifle, and you can pick up an action for cheaper than i have been able to find winchester and kimber CRF actions for. But the only problem i have with them is the safety is hidden. Its not as easy to use as the kimber and winchester 3-positions safetys. So the question is, is their anything that you have done to your rugers safety or anything you know that can be done to them to make them easier and not so hidden? Thanks.

HR IC

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I have 3 Rugers, and have no problems with the safes at all. I also have Winchesters, and the Ruger is smoother than the Winchesters, Also the Ruger does not stick out like the Winchesters, and is cleaner looking. Don't get me wrong, as I see nothing wrong with The Winchesters, as I have converted 2 Model 700 Remingtons to the swing type. I sold my 700's because of them going off when you took the safety off, I know everyone will think its my fault not the rifle, but I have since bought 2 700's and put Winchester safeties on and have had no further problems. I have only had 1 Kimber years ago, and had to take back to factory because the safety worked real hard. They fixed, and no more problems.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Practice with it..

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Didn't even know they had a safety..

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is a picture Phil Shoemaker (458Win) posted about a modification he made to his ruger. He did this with devcon.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I've never had problems with one. Though we don't wear heavy gloves down here too often either..... grin

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm with Steelhead on this...

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe it's just a case of being way out in left field, but with all the teeth-gnashing and whining about Ruger safety levers, you'd think someone would come up with a bigger replacement.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KDK
Maybe it's just a case of being way out in left field, but with all the teeth-gnashing and whining about Ruger safety levers, you'd think someone would come up with a bigger replacement.

Yep. If I had to hunt with one it would go to a good metalsmith to have the safety re-shaped in similar style to Phil Shoemakers but with real steel welded on then ground to a decent looking finish. Ruger did a really good job with the Mk ll EXCEPT for this fatal flaw. OK, maybe, on a deer gun but completely unacceptable on a DGR.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Just curious, why would anyone leave the safety locked all the way in when they thought a shot imminent? It is a '3' position safety.... I've always kept mine in the middle position when it was close to showtime.....

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just got my first Ruger a MKII, its not for dangerous game but will be spending a good bit of time practicing with it. If after a month or two I don't like it I think the Phil Shoemaker mod is what I'll do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Here is a picture Phil Shoemaker (458Win) posted about a modification he made to his ruger. He did this with devcon.

[Linked Image]

I have always thought Ruger could off added a 'wing' piece like this. That PS rifle looks thought out!

I did find getting the safety off on fast/running shots(HE) to be a little awkward..... but in mid position it was easy.
Mid does not block the firing pin like Model70's or Kimbers....... wink

Taking my rifle for a walk
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by idahostalker
So the question is, is their anything that you have done to your rugers safety or anything you know that can be done to them to make them easier and not so hidden? Thanks.

Cut the thumb out of your shooting hand glove.

I removed my safety, took the rough edges off the detent radius & sat for a while working it back & forth until it smoothed out. I am not a fan of three position safties. Now, i don't even have to think about it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have arthritis in my right thumb, and really struggled with my brothers M77 mk II. I don't like any of the swing-type safeties - M70 included, because i simply cannot operate them without re-positioning my hand. It isn't a pathological hatred or anything, they are just a little awkward for me. And i don't think i am alone. Personally, i also rather a simple two position safety that pushes forward for off. I am happy with either a "shotgun"-type tang location, or sitting to the right of the tang. I really liked the two position safety on my old Sako 75, with the bolt release option - that is ideal, especially for dangerous game. And most of the time with a conventional safety, my real "safety" is not having a round in the chamber.

I must have the safety of the Ruger on the mid position to quickly operate it - and as pointed out, then the pin isn't blocked so that is an unacceptable option to me. The Ruger three position safety seems to add awkwardness without adding real benefits.

I really, really like the decocker-type safety on my Blaser - it is the only safety i really trust.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by idahostalker
Im thinking about building a 30-06 off of a Ruger Action. I really like the ruger action because their tough as nails, relyable, their a CRF action wich i perfer, they have a 3-position safety wich i also perfer on my big game hunting rifle, and you can pick up an action for cheaper than i have been able to find winchester and kimber CRF actions for. But the only problem i have with them is the safety is hidden. Its not as easy to use as the kimber and winchester 3-positions safetys. So the question is, is their anything that you have done to your rugers safety or anything you know that can be done to them to make them easier and not so hidden? Thanks.

I swear, Ruger made that safety for girls with long fingernails.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been shooting and hunting with M77 Mk IIs since the early nineties and never knew the safety was a problem until I started reading about it here. I guess I will have to get rid of all my Rugers. "grin".

Last edited by lastround; 02/04/12.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, man, I hate when I read something on here and find out how ignorant I was... <grin>

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Mine was tight enough to be of concern, but I invested a day and several blisters in working it...slicked right up, and now no problems.

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stiffness is not the real problem, the small amount of metal sticking out when it is 'on safe' fully is the problem - and a big one. Ruger needs to correct this.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IIRC Dan Adair had his gunsmith extend the lever. Maybe he will weigh in on the issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (160user, 2500HD, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,130
Posts18,502,612
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.